Stator wire rubber grommets - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Stator wire rubber grommets

The rubber grommets on the engine case are missing off the bike i just bought. First of all, is there anywhere I can get these and most importantly, do i have to remove the engine from the frame in order to pop them back in place or are they pliable enough to push through?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 08:12 AM

Re: Stator wire rubber grommets

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanvulcan
The rubber grommets on the engine case are missing off the bike i just bought. First of all, is there anywhere I can get these and most importantly, do i have to remove the engine from the frame in order to pop them back in place or are they pliable enough to push through?
Alaska...you might be able fab something, but I'd order the oem ones..they have holes pre-drilled to accept the leads from the stator and coils, and are obviously cut to size.
I hope you don't have to move the engine just for 2 grommets...that would be a major PITA. You can bet I would find a way to get them in there...
Also have some red RTV handy to seal it when you install.
Since you just bought the bike (congrats!), check it thoroughly and replace any other oem parts from
www.ronayers.com
They have a fiche you can look thru for pn's, and charge 7bux for shipping on your first 100dollars....
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for getting back to me so soon. About finding the oem part...before i posted here I searched under every obscure rock i could think off. Unfortunately, I can see the grommet plain as day in the parts diagram containing the stator but there is not an individual part number for it. Looks like all or nothing as far as the factory oem there and well there has to be another way. Some heavy coats of high temp silicone maybe. Today I will browse the hardware shop and see if i can find anything close. If anybody out there has an old burnt out stator hanging on the wall......

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanvulcan
Hey alaskanvulcan;
Welcome. Post you question on the below link. Propably somebody there that may have one. Good luck.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/VN750/

Semper Fi & Ride Safe
VROC 14523
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Sgt Mike. I'll dig around over there.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 10:16 AM

When I was looking for that rubber grommet, I was told I had to buy the complete stator to get that grommet. Whether that was right or not, I'm not sure, but to this day I still have yet to find one...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

I started calling companies that specialize in motorcycle electrical systems and finally hit pay dirt. www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com They are sending me the grommets tomorrow. Now getting them in place...

Thanks for the help and ideas
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 08:53 PM

With the grommets missing in action do you have a oil leak? I ask because my grommets on those wires are MIA and I have a slight oil leak near that area.
Ed Rountree
1986 VN750 everything works it just has a old Triumph oil Leak.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Yes, there is oil coming out around those wires. From what I can tell is that a previous owner has replaced the stator and didnt reuse the grommets when reassembled. Some tubing was used instead which doesnt provide a tight seal and I see old silicone around the edges. After looking at the manual I cant tell for sure if I will have access to the grommet gap after removing the outer cover alone. I think this will be necessary for getting the grommets in place without removing the inner case. I will scrap the grommet plan if inner case removal is necessary and use silicone instead.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 10:15 AM

Thank you and I will now concentrate on sealing that oil leak. Please post your outcome on these grommets. I will order some soon.

Ed Rountree
optional backrest
saddlebag supports
luggage rack
I need a better seat Ouch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement