Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Vulcan Bobber

Exclamation How test the Ignitor?

Somebody done this test before? just I wanna make sure mine is working Ok, I wanna try like the manual say but Is it truth I can use only kawasaki hand tester?

1989 Vulcan 750
Bobber style.
33000 miles,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 12:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to oglejust Send a message via MSN to oglejust Send a message via Yahoo to oglejust
did u rewire or something? is it not sparking?

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

.... slightly modified
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Vulcan Bobber

No revvire but I get some electric problems....tachometer is not working, the inside lights are fine but I think the black wire from IC ignitor is who send signal to the tach and is not doing that, also my bike sounds on the road like if sometimes rear or front cylinder is off (not sparking I guess) so that's the reason I would like test te IC Ignitor, please if some vulcanator () know how do it.............. let me know.

1989 Vulcan 750
Bobber style.
33000 miles,

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

The ignitor either works or it doesn't. If you have an intermittent problem, it's usually a wire or connector.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 08:07 AM

Sky Rider - It works or it doesn't right? So if running at higher RPM (4000) and the rear cyl finally begins to fire then its likley not the Ignitor? What else would cause that. Ignition Coil maybe? I can start the bike cold and run at idle for ever and the rear cyl will never fire. I can place my hand on the exaust and its not even warm. Front is as hot as can be. Rev the bike up to around 4000rpm and the rear cyl kicks in and it revs up to around 6000rmp. I can't pinpoint the problem. HELP!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 08:46 AM

Aminjuez - Sorry man, not trying to hijack your thread, but we seem to be having the same question. I was just reading in the manual about having to have the Kawasaki multimeter to test the Ignitor myself. Trying to trouble shoot this rear cyl problem. Hope we both can come up with a solution! Thanks.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 11:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to oglejust Send a message via MSN to oglejust Send a message via Yahoo to oglejust
my rear cylinder has done this a couple times but ive had electrical problems and carb problems so i would look to make sure the plug wires arent arcing off the jug.... start ur bike in the dark and look for sparking around the plug, if it does it then get some wires or wrap some electrical tape on em. could also be the coils. i doubt its the ignitor

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

.... slightly modified
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 03:12 AM

Hi All

Just got back to KL after a work trip around the world and went to start the bikes, so I can give them both a run and blow the cobwebs off.

The VFR750 starts first time no problems at all, just as always.

The VN750, will not start, keep cranking, still will not start. have petrol smell from the exhaust so fuel seems ok. Took out a plug, a bit damp from fuel tried to start, no spark. Tried to start again, biggest backfire I have heard in a long time, sounded life a rifle going off, woke up the neighbours nicely.

Just had new coils fitted to try and improve the hot starting, checked the coils, all ok. Thought I'd better check the ignitor, after the fight to get the bottom bolt out and to find the Fluke meter I get around to the test. A good number of the results are totally out of spec. Tested the ignition coils and the pulse coils and they are all within spec.

Got to suspect the ignitor, now try to get a replacement, my local shop - $420.00 new, bit over the top so hunt Ebay a find a secondhand one for $40 + postage. Waiting for it to arrive, and hopefully it fixes the problem. I'll let you all know when it gets here.

I have attached a spreadsheet (in a zip file as I could not attach the Excel spreadsheet) I put together to make the recording of the Ignitor tests easy, it also has my test results as well for reference.

Now it gives me a chance to clean the VN750 while it is all apart. More work, and the VFR sits there saying ride me, ride me which is very tempting.

Have a good weekend.

Regards

DaveT
Kuala Lumpur
Attached Files
File Type: zip VN750 - Ignitor Test.zip (3.0 KB, 121 views)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepncreep View Post
Sky Rider - It works or it doesn't right? So if running at higher RPM (4000) and the rear cyl finally begins to fire then its likley not the Ignitor? What else would cause that. Ignition Coil maybe? I can start the bike cold and run at idle for ever and the rear cyl will never fire. I can place my hand on the exaust and its not even warm. Front is as hot as can be. Rev the bike up to around 4000rpm and the rear cyl kicks in and it revs up to around 6000rmp. I can't pinpoint the problem. HELP!
I'm having the exact same problem. Rear cylinder doesn;t fire at idle and kicks in just fine around 3000 RPM. Looking at coastering and adjusting the air/fuel mixture screws. Not sure it will help with the spark problem.
Anyone?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

On mine, the high speed jet in the rear carb vibrated loose and fell into the bowl. The bike idled fine but the rear cylinder would cut out at 3k or so and it struggled to get up to 50 mph. When I disassembled the carb and found the jet, I screwed it back in and made sure it was nice and tight, put the carbs back in and have had no problems carbureator wise since.
Aminjuez, the easiest way to test the ignitor is to simply pull a spark plug, ground it and hit the starter momentarily and see if there is spark. If the plug sparks, the ignitor is working. If no spark, back track from the plug to see if there is a broken wire or other malfunction in the electrical system before deciding it's the ignitor. The tach not working can be from several problems as I understand it. The pick up coils also feed the tach and I believe even the side stand switch can affect the tach as well.

Mad Max, you may have the opposite problem from me. Your idle jet may be clogged but the high speed is open. Try the Seafoam trick first to see if that clears the carbs but if not, you'll have to pull them and clean them. I haven't had much luck with Seafoam but others here have.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
Sponsored Links
Advertisement