Need Some Help Identifying Some Connectors - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to B1g_R3d_88
Question Need Some Help Identifying Some Connectors

So I used my newly acquired wiring harness (thanks NDR) and I did have some extra connectors from the dash and a mystery box behind the battery box that didn't plug into the harness. I also have a couple connectors on the harness that had no apparent place to plug into. The bike doesn't even attempt to turn over but I have lights come on on the dash when I turn to the ON position.

This is the mystery box behind the battery box that plugged into the original harness but has no apparent place in the new harness.

This is the connector for said mystery box

This is a single terminal connector that comes out down behind the radiator that I have no idea what it goes to as I never unplugged anything like it from the original harness.

This is a 3 terminal connector that again has no apparent connection as I had not unplugged anything like it from the original. What I forgot to get a better picture of is that yellow wire in the background that has a spade terminal on it. The previous owner had one similar just hanging loosely up under the gas tank not connected to anything.

This is a 6 terminal connector that had a spot in the old harness that doesn't have a spot in the new harness. It is grouped with the left hand switch housing controls (turn signals, horn, high and low beams)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 12:41 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Did your bike by any chance have self cancelling turn signals ? If either bike did the harnesses are different. The ones with the self canceling signals had a time/distance module, for lack of a better name for cancelling the turn signals. The single wire by the radiator looks like the oil sending unit plug or the temperature switch plug for the radiator fan. It's been a while since Imonkeyed with one those harnesses ,so this is just from my memory which isn't to be trusted nearly as much as it used to be. The online service manual in Kanucks sig line may have the schematics in it. There were several different harnesses, Euro models were definitely different and I'm not sure about the Canadian models.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

It is an 86, from what I remember, they did have the self cancelling which would probably explain the bigger connector for the switch housing, I'm getting the new controls from kanuck, so maybe I'll wait and see if that problem fixes itself. Anyone have any idea what the box is behind the battery box, that one had me a little concerned that it is something pretty vital.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 02:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1g_R3d_88 View Post
It is an 86, from what I remember, they did have the self cancelling which would probably explain the bigger connector for the switch housing, I'm getting the new controls from kanuck, so maybe I'll wait and see if that problem fixes itself. Anyone have any idea what the box is behind the battery box, that one had me a little concerned that it is something pretty vital.
I am guessing here but I would think it is the reserve lighting unit or the time distance module for the signals

VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
I am guessing here but I would think it is the reserve lighting unit or the time distance module for the signals
I've got a box that looks really similar on the right side of the battery box that says reserve lighting. My guess is it wouldn't be that, but you never know, previous owner may have replaced it with a new one and just not removed the old one. If it is the time/distance module, there really wouldn't be a need for it with some newer model year controls that don't have that feature though right?I'm thinking I'm going to just have to pull that one to see, thanks for looking though denny!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Good call Denny, it was pretty tight in there and it had Philips heads on it so I really didn't want to pull off the rear fender or try getting the box out so I just took a rubbing of it. The turn signals work so it looks like they were replaced at some point. Bike still won't even attempt to start though. Bike it's in neutral (yay that works!), tried pulling the clutch in, and the side stand is up, anyone have any clues to get me started?

Last edited by B1g_R3d_88; 12-13-2014 at 03:36 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 04:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1g_R3d_88 View Post

Good call Denny, it was pretty tight in there and it had Philips heads on it so I really didn't want to pull off the rear fender or try getting the box out so I just took a rubbing of it. The turn signals work so it looks like they were replaced at some point. Bike still won't even attempt to start though. Bike it's in neutral (yay that works!), tried pulling the clutch in, and the side stand is up, anyone have any clues to get me started?
does the starter relay click when the starter button is depressed? if no, check for voltage on the small wires on it when the button is depressed. IIf Yes try putting a jumper cable on the positive battery terminal and touch i to the starter terminal on the starter(with the bike in neutral and on the centerstand) , starter should try to turn the engine.

let me know what you find and we'll do some more checking.

VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
does the starter relay click when the starter button is depressed? if no, check for voltage on the small wires on it when the button is depressed. IIf Yes try putting a jumper cable on the positive battery terminal and touch i to the starter terminal on the starter(with the bike in neutral and on the centerstand) , starter should try to turn the engine.

let me know what you find and we'll do some more checking.
So when I pull the little 2 wire connector out of the starter solenoid and put my multimeter to the 2 wires, I get no voltage whether I'm pushing the starter button or not.

To test the jumping positive battery terminal to negative solenoid terminal, can I use about a 16 gauge wire, or should I use something bigger?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 09:56 PM
ass hole extaordinaire

look in the projects and builds section at my safety switch bypass mod

i am thinking without that one connector hooked up by the tank that comes from the left side controls then it is missing signal from one of the safety switches (clutch switch)

if you do my mod you should be able to get power to the ignition

Quote:
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 09:57 PM
ass hole extaordinaire

here is the link

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46010

Quote:
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement