starting help!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

starting help!!

i was out crusing all day yesterday and when i went to start it this morning there was a slight crank and a clicking type of noise. so i figured it was the battery cuzi had to charge it before. so i got a new one from bull dog battery and its doing the same thing ! it wants to crank but most of the time its that clicking/buzzing sound then noticed some smoke so i stopped wtf is wrong with it lol thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 06:46 PM

Can you tell where the smoke is coming from?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

not really but the 2 wires that come out from the gas tank get really hot!! i got it to push start and run to my brothers house.. i shut it off there and went to start it and did the same thing

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 11:17 PM

Starter motor drawing too many amps? Did the bike fire right up when push starting?

My 95 was hard to start (turned over slow and backfired) last season so I cleaned the starter motor by using emery cloth on the brass contacts (forgot the electrical name of that part) and that fixed the problem. Scale of 1 - 10 in difficulty about a 6; not real hard to do or take the motor to a auto electric for testing/cleaning.

DT

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 11:51 AM

great 1, I have the exact same problem with my '91. I have no idea how to fix it. I took it into the shop, and I don't think they know how to fix it either (well, I keep calling in to get an update and they are still trying to figure it out).

Have you figured out how to fix this yet? I am getting sick of waiting for the shop, I need to get out and ride! Did cleaning the starter motor help?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by great 1 View Post
i was out crusing all day yesterday and when i went to start it this morning there was a slight crank and a clicking type of noise. so i figured it was the battery cuzi had to charge it before. so i got a new one from bull dog battery and its doing the same thing ! it wants to crank but most of the time its that clicking/buzzing sound then noticed some smoke so i stopped wtf is wrong with it lol thanks
On a 4-legged vehicle this would likely be a dirty or loose battery/starter connection. Smoke, heat, and maybe sparks would be generated from it...like a short somewhere.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 11:22 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Check the leads coming off the battery. Most starting problems like this can be traced to a loose connection somewhere in the system. The clicking solenoid tells me that either something is drawing power from the system and not allowing it to close the circuit or that there is a high resistance open or shorted wire somewhere in the circuit.
If the battery leads are clean and tight, keep tracing the wires to the solenoid, if they are clean and tight, move to the starter moter itself.
Since you mentioned that the wires coming from the tank are getting hot, it sounds like you may have some sort of short somewhere in the system. They shouldn't get hot at any time.
Smoke is also an indication of a short somewhere as well.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 09:35 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Rider View Post
Check the leads coming off the battery. Most starting problems like this can be traced to a loose connection somewhere in the system. The clicking solenoid tells me that either something is drawing power from the system and not allowing it to close the circuit or that there is a high resistance open or shorted wire somewhere in the circuit.
If the battery leads are clean and tight, keep tracing the wires to the solenoid, if they are clean and tight, move to the starter moter itself.
Since you mentioned that the wires coming from the tank are getting hot, it sounds like you may have some sort of short somewhere in the system. They shouldn't get hot at any time.
Smoke is also an indication of a short somewhere as well.
Agreed. I had the same problem on Orleans (pretty amazing smoke!), and found out that when I'd replaced the RH control, the two leads that run from the brake lever to the rear brake light had been reversed...I mean, I had reversed them (this was a used control, and they had been separated by PO, so I had just taken a wild guess and hooked 'em up). It's probably something simple - take your time and check everything as Jim suggested.

C
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 07:15 PM

Good call everyone. A new battery cable fixed the problem. Thanks for all the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement