Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Proud Owner of '99 VN 750

Cold weather

So I've got my 99 vn750 and I just replaced the battery with a maintenance free battery but recently in Louisiana it has been around 20 degrees at night every morning when I go to try to start my bike sometimes the battery will completely drain attempting to start the bike with or without some amounts of choke. What can I do to assist my bike and starting in this really cold weather? This morning the battery drain trying to start it and I had to jump need battery to continue trying in order to get to work. The new battery has two hundred and thirty cold cranking amps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 10:04 AM
1986 VN750

Garage
I don't think your issue is going to lie with your battery. Even that cold, it shouldn't crank that much to start.

I know this is funny, but is the choke cable connected? I have seen more than 1 instance of a bad/broken choke cable.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

I welcome all comments even if they sound funny. It is connected because once started I can adjust it and notice the difference. I did however drill a few holes as noted in an older post and my exhaust pipes but I did not adjust my carburetor. There is less back pressure so will this affect it by chance. I've never adjusted any carburetors so I would have to look it up in order to do so

Last edited by furikazashi; 11-20-2014 at 11:44 AM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 12:32 PM
Old Fart

Garage
"What can I do to assist my bike and starting in this really cold weather?"

Pick coil mod
Iridium plugs
Seafoam
Regular gasoline
Use of choke
Check battery (load test)

All areas to look at.......

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

all the things KM says are good starting points.

a couple things to remember when starting cold engines... Lead acid batteries (even AGM) have less voltage and less capacity when cold.

add to that thicker oil (harder to move/pump/things just dont spin/slide easily) when cold means that the starter works harder to turn the engine over.. meaning it needs more voltage and current to work (which the battery is already short on due to temp).

soooo, anything you can do to make it easier to start will help. Now, to start in colder weather, you will need more fuel (choke), adequate cranking speed, and a hot spark.

will add in ign coil mod as one that will help with cold starts, as it allows the coils to get more voltage on the primary, which results in a higher secondary voltage (better spark).

make absolutely certain all your grounds are good (have seen grounds behave in warm weather, but go to shiat when the temp drops, then be better when the temp goes up a few degrees). Also, make sure the cables from battery to solenoid and solenoid to starter have good connections.

will add in here our 'choke' isnt a traditional choke you would find on a car, but actually an enrichment system that lets in more fuel AND more air as well (for a 'fast idle' type of affect). its possible that your enrichment system isnt allowing enough fuel in for the amount of additional air being let in.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17

Last edited by michiganteddybear; 11-20-2014 at 12:54 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
"What can I do to assist my bike and starting in this really cold weather?"

Pick coil mod
Iridium plugs
Seafoam
Regular gasoline
Use of choke
Check battery (load test)

All areas to look at.......
Ill have to check out the mod. I have indium plugs and i use 93 octane non ethanol fuel. Question : why does regular fuel help? In use the choke amd battery and its terminals are brand new. I use Rolla t6 so its thicker. I may end up swapping to factory weight for cold weather. Also have to find out exactly where the grounds are so I can check. I am going to test using starter fluid in the cylinders and see if it fires first turn. Sound right?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 03:50 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by furikazashi View Post
Ill have to check out the mod. I have indium plugs and i use 93 octane non ethanol fuel. Question : why does regular fuel help? In use the choke amd battery and its terminals are brand new. I use Rolla t6 so its thicker. I may end up swapping to factory weight for cold weather. Also have to find out exactly where the grounds are so I can check. I am going to test using starter fluid in the cylinders and see if it fires first turn. Sound right?
T6 is actually 5w cold, so it is thinner for cold start. (better)

You should only use 87/89 fuel, not plus/premium/etc. There are zero benefits from spending more on higher octane fuels for engines that are not tuned for the advanced ignition the higher octane provides.

Check and clean all ground connections to the frame (frame side, too).

Definitely check out the mod mentioned. It's on my to-do list while I have the bike in pieces.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350

Last edited by thtanner; 11-20-2014 at 03:52 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

93 octane fuel is a waste of $ in my opinion. while these engines are relatively high compression (10.1 or 10.5 I believe), they can run on reg unleaded gas due to the reduced timing advance that the dual plug setup they have allows (it lights the mix from both sides of the chamber, so that each flame front has 1/2 the distance (and roughly 1/2 the time needed) to achieve full burn.

also, higher octane gas burns slower than lower octane gas does.

starting fluid (ether) may help, not sure. I have rarely had to use it on any vehicle.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

I only use that octane due to its all they have with no ethanol. If this helps when I start my bike i MUST give it some gas or choke or it will just keep turning and not start

Last edited by furikazashi; 11-20-2014 at 05:17 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 05:49 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Higher octane fuel not only burns slower, it's simply harder to ignite.
Ethonal isn't bad for the bike unless you plan on not riding it and let it sit for many weeks.

You HAVE to use the choke to start the bike when cold...that's what its for. Once it's started you can back it down slowly to maintain 1500-2000 Rpms....until the bike is warm enough to idle well without it.
Think of the choke as a small throttle...you can back it down in increments if rpms rise to high.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement