New revelations on why my Stator fried - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

New revelations on why my Stator fried

So I pulled my stator and I noticed that it was trashed by my rotor which has apparently a slight wobble to it so my question is is it normal for the rotor to have a slight wobble? All of my problems began when I hit a bump with the bike as I was pulling into my apartment complex I was riding two up I'm imagining that the added weight added extra force to the bump as I pulled in.. I guess I don't want to pull my engine bad enough that I would s contemplate getting a smaller stator instead if it would fit, or even if it would fit would it work and produce enough charge?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1415913493893.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	19906   Click image for larger version

Name:	1415913529217.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	19914   Click image for larger version

Name:	1415913551641.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	19922  

The constitution was not written for We The People, but rather for those who SERVE THE PEOPLE!
The strongest reason for the people's right to bear arms is as a last resort to prevent tyranny in government,
T Jefferson.....Don't Tread On Me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 04:37 PM
ass hole extaordinaire

a wobbling rotor could be a sign of the rotor being installed wrong or crank bearings going out or a misaligned mod plate

a smaller stator will not work and seeing that that stator in the picture has green on it i am going to assume it is a caltric or electrosport both of which are very cheaply made a good one would have never split the way that one did

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Yes it was a cheepee... But what worries me is the wobble... Its definitely there, i turned her over with the cover off and niticed it right away...i don't want to pull the engine again if I can help it, this really depresses me

The constitution was not written for We The People, but rather for those who SERVE THE PEOPLE!
The strongest reason for the people's right to bear arms is as a last resort to prevent tyranny in government,

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

going to echo every thing new rider said.. and add possibly a cracked rotor (it can happen in theory).. or a Bent rotor.. either of them will require a new/known good used replacement.

since I have never had my rotor off, I don't know the answer to this.. is the crank tapered at all, even to the order of a couple thousandths of an inch? if so, the taper on the crank or the taper on the rotor may be worn, in which case, you need to replace the bad part.

on the tapered question, also, if tapered, it could be possible for the bolt holding it to be slightly loose (not properly torqued) and allow a wobble.

AGAIN, I don't know if the crank is tapered, this I just a possible cause if it is.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

another thought. was a 3 jaw puller used to remove the rotor? if so, they can bend them (and I believe, the rotor is pulled using a single bolt in the center, right?)

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 06:09 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
I seem to remember someone a few years back that had the same problem and it turned out that the rotor had been installed incorrectly and had a worn key or key way. Either way it wasn't on straight. Someone else it may remember it better.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

So my worst nightmare has come true I have to pull the engine again. This truly is depressing thank God it's winter and I have a few months to do this. I had to pull the engine the last time using a series of ratchet jack straps hooked to the garage beans above cuz I don't own a motorcycle engine jack what a pain in the gluteus maximus !

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 09:25 AM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grousehunter1475 View Post
So my worst nightmare has come true I have to pull the engine again. This truly is depressing thank God it's winter and I have a few months to do this. I had to pull the engine the last time using a series of ratchet jack straps hooked to the garage beans above cuz I don't own a motorcycle engine jack what a pain in the gluteus maximus !
you shouldnt need all that, a 2x6 under the center stand and a small floor jack and scissor jack should do it

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 12:25 PM
Giggity!

Garage
Denny, I remember it all too well as I have done it.

Grousehunter, did you remove the rotor? I didn't have it torqued right. When you get it apart I would check that first. Sorry you ended up having the nightmare.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Never removed the rotor, i just did the stator mod wile the engine was out

Sponsored Links
Advertisement