Charging Problem - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Charging Problem

My battery is not charging while riding. The voltmeter is reading about 12 - 12.5 volts while running. I purchased a new R/R since the one on the bike had such corroded connections etc. Well, I was wrong to do so but it's bee ruled out. Anyway, I went though the Elctrosport troubleshooting guide and the conclusion was "Bad connection from the battery (+) through the ignition switch to the switch +12V supply-input on the RR. Check the whole electrical circuit. This is one of the most difficult faults to find. Suspect the ignition-switch, the fuse-box, and its connections."

I'm looking for any ideas on where to start or is the a most common problem when I've reached this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 11:44 PM

Have you tested the stator? I would just to make sure you don't have to shell out the BIG bucks to fix it. The R/R and stator would be my first to test. But to test the stator you need an a/c volt tester.

James
1985 vn700 (T'Plana)
Gremlin bell
HD-O shield
saddlebagged
custom made supports
tool bag
extended backrest
Protac backrest
Highway pegs
custom mirrors
custom grips
V&H cruisers
lever covers
DieHard AGM
Kuryakin battery gauge
and LED taillights
marbled

VROC #27169
Tn VROC #134

www.youtube.com/thetrueliljd
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 07:27 AM

liljd is right check the stator too

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

I know there is continuity between the leads on the stator, but that's about the only test I've completed. The Electrosport diagnosis diagram had hopefully ruled out the stator, but I know of more tests to do there. If the Electrosport information is accurate, I'm hoping for a short somewhere. It would be nice if it were as easy as an ingnition switch.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Here's where I'm at. As I stated I replaced the regulator and have good resistance between my leads on the stator, and checked the stator to ensure there are no open leads. As I stated before, the Elctrosport troubleshooting guided me to "Bad connection from the battery (+) through the ignition switch to the switch +12V supply-input on the RR. Check the whole electrical circuit. This is one of the most difficult faults to find. Suspect the ignition-switch, the fuse-box, and its connections."

Has anyone had an iginition switch cause this or should I start chasing wires?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 12:26 AM

I'm not too great at this but I believe that the most problems you'll find with the ignition switch would be it turning off in the middle of a ride. All you'd do to check it would be wiggle the key. It should'nt cause it to not charge. If the switch allows it to run then it should be charging. I may be wrong on that but I'll ask a friend I know about it in the morning. I would check the junction box and the connectors cause it sounds to me like a bad connection somewhere. Anyone else have thoughts? Maybe????? Just make sure the stator is putting out the proper volts and so is the R/R. They can have continuity but not put out enough juice. Just like a battery, You can have the right volts but it still needs to be load tested at times. Darn Gremlins!!! I hate 'em... Got a gremlin bell on it?

I need to read some books on this in case mine does it.

James
1985 vn700 (T'Plana)
Gremlin bell
HD-O shield
saddlebagged
custom made supports
tool bag
extended backrest
Protac backrest
Highway pegs
custom mirrors
custom grips
V&H cruisers
lever covers
DieHard AGM
Kuryakin battery gauge
and LED taillights
marbled

VROC #27169
Tn VROC #134

Last edited by liljd; 03-30-2008 at 12:34 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 07:47 PM

I've been asking around and have a friend of mine going thru the wiring diagram to see what may be wrong for you. I still don't think it's the ignition switch as it should only just loop thru it and back to the battery BUT I'm not too sure at this piont. If it's the switch it may just be the connections on it and not the switch itself. I'm still leaning towards the stator but hten again I can't say for sure yet. After we go thru the diagram better I'll let you know.

I hope others may have some thoughts too. There are some great minds on here. Hey Beavis where are you????? LOL Bulldog may even have some thoughts too.

James
1985 vn700 (T'Plana)
Gremlin bell
HD-O shield
saddlebagged
custom made supports
tool bag
extended backrest
Protac backrest
Highway pegs
custom mirrors
custom grips
V&H cruisers
lever covers
DieHard AGM
Kuryakin battery gauge
and LED taillights
marbled

VROC #27169
Tn VROC #134

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 11:17 PM

Talking stator question

the stock rr has a sense lead that does come from the switched side of the harness, (the aftermarket may also use this)this can quickly be tested by turning on and off the key with the battery connected and the meter set to scale appropriate for 12v hooked to the brown wire (i think it was brown) in the rr connector and other lead to ground. wire should show aprox 12v when key is on, 0 when off, you will also find another wire(white or red) that should have 12v all the time, even key off. if you find these, then i suspect trouble with the charge system rather than the other wireing of the bike.

if you rule that out, another quick test is put your meter on ac volts, (scale appropriate for 12-20vac), while the rr is plugged in and bike running, connect one meter lead to ground, the other-probe the three yellow wrires in the back of the rr plug. you are looking for aprox 12vac on all three wires. the exact amount isnt important, what is is that they are all almost identical in voltage. one or more significantly lower than another indicates a problem, potentially a bad stator. no or low (well under 12) voltage on all 3 is also bad.

Last edited by beavis; 03-30-2008 at 11:24 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 11:44 PM

Thanks Beavis..I knew you could help!!

James
1985 vn700 (T'Plana)
Gremlin bell
HD-O shield
saddlebagged
custom made supports
tool bag
extended backrest
Protac backrest
Highway pegs
custom mirrors
custom grips
V&H cruisers
lever covers
DieHard AGM
Kuryakin battery gauge
and LED taillights
marbled

VROC #27169
Tn VROC #134

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys. Hopefully I'll get this resoved so I can get riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement