Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Loose wire

4K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  emtdon 
#1 · (Edited)
I found a loose yellow wire near the coolant bleeder screw under the tank and I have no idea what is for or where it is supposed to connect to.

Can you guys help me identify this wire?

sorry for the poor image quality, the tank is still on the bike and I was using a flashlight and my phone. if you need a better image just let me know and I'll get the tank off

edit: looks like the image may be upside down. a better image can be seen at http://zerodecline.com/yellowwire.jpg

See less See more
#6 ·
Thank you emtdon, that pic really helps. I was thinking that was where it went but the terminal on the end of the wire is just a c shaped connector, so I wasn't sure how it would connect there. Do you know what type of connector is in use in your pic?

#8 ·
A spade connector is what it is. I just wasn't sure of the name. It looks like the PO had just laid it on top and crimped the spade ends together. Obviously not a very good solution since it popped off.

Is the one in emtdon's pic a standard disconnect or is it a specific type of connector?

#10 ·
same that was on my 750. the PO may have broken the original spade connector and just used what was on hand to crimp on a new one. Possibly used a size too big?

Also worth note, its possible that it popped of because the tab the spade connector attached to broke off. Hopefully that's not the case.

#12 ·
you could just solder the wire to the sensor. it could be removed later if needed. you would just have to desolder it.

#15 ·
Or, you can solder one end of a wire onto the top of the sensor, and crimp on a male spade connector to mate up with the female connector on the existing wire. That way you have an easy point of disconnect if it's ever needed.

#14 ·
Actually Goofy, I had noticed it was disconnected when flushing the coolant but wasn't sure what is for. When I was able to finally ride I noticed the temp gauge wasn't working and thought that may be the cause, so I asked here since you all are more experienced with the setup on this bike.

I'll need to wait for the weekend to pull the tank and get at it and then update with what I do to get it to work.

#18 ·
You're right, that is a brilliant idea. I was just going to solder it in place but attaching another wire makes sense. I can just disconnect if I ever need to actually replace the sensor.

I'll probably take care of this on saturday and be sure to post and update when done.

#24 ·
glad you fixed it. thanks for posting the outcome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.