Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Use double sided tape to hold a voltmeter to the dash?

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  emtdon 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a digital clock/voltmeter 5 in 1 unit that comes with adhesive Velcro to attach it to the dash.
http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/sho...r-4-239.html?gclid=CLLNm-bzqsECFdRaMgodKAwArw

Will tape stay in place when exposed to the high heat of the summer sun?
I have my doubts. :confused:
Anyone ever used adhesive Velcro on the bike?

I also believe the unit is not weather proof and will need to be covered or taken off during inclement weather.
This could be accomplished by using a quick disconnect electrical connector.
These leads are the finest I have ever worked with, perhaps 20 or 22 gauge.
Any suggestions for a very tiny 3 lead connector?

#2 ·
I had the same one. I got the strong velcro to attach it. worked fine until it rained. I used clear silicone on the new one. so far so good. I sealed around it then wiped off the excess. it's petty nice for what it does. The wires suck they are very thin.

#4 ·
So Don, you are saying you sealed around the seams and openings in the display unit with silicone to waterproof it?
I guess if it is sealed I do not have to have a quick electrical disconnect, as I can leave it on the bike. :)

Does the Velcro you used have bigger hooks and loops than what the unit comes supplied with?
Is that what makes it stronger?

#3 ·
My voltmeter has been adhered to the top of the gauge cluster for 5 years now using 3M's all weather double sided tape (purchased from the local Ace Hardware). It shows now sign of failing anytime soon. The tape is more of a sticky grey foam than a thin plastic tape. Note that the bike is parked in a garage when not in use, so the tape is never exposed to extreme weather.

#5 ·
Thanks for the input on the double side foam Glen. They use that stuff now for attaching trim on car doors, so it must stand up pretty well. I do not have a garage, just one of those tent shelters for parking it in during the winter. It is located in the backyard so as to be not real handy to park in every night during the summer. So this summer it has been parked in front of the house on the boulevard or on the street.

#6 ·
here is the VM I have now I had the same one you have. I used the hook loop velcro and put it across the handlebar clamps or whatever they are called. I have to put the link to an old pic because I'm at the limit.

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57962

#8 ·
While I don't have this unit, I do have a key fob attached to my dash with Velcro. I haven't had any issues with rain or washing it. Just make sure you swap the application area with alcohol before you attach it.

#13 ·
when i had that meter i tapped into the tail light wire under the seat. don't remember what color it was. it was in with the wires that are wrapped up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.