starting issue - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

starting issue

Bought a 1996 Vulcan 750 with only 13,000 miles a couple months ago. Ran great, appeared to need new battery. Replaced it with a new wet battery (yeah i know better now). 2 weeks later, turn signals went out. 1 month later problem started again - turn over a couple times, then act lije battery is weak. Would eventually start, charged battery a couple of times. Then wouldnt start at all. Replaced battery again, still wont start. Now head light is out. Almost seems like battery is being drained while bike is sitting????

Last edited by skinem; 09-20-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 10:06 AM

Sounds like you have a bad stator, you need to run test on it to be sure. Im going thrue the same thing myself right now.. im in the rebuild process now. Read my post in this section about what im going thru.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 11:01 AM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Bought a 1996 Vulcan 750 with only 13,000 miles a couple months ago. Ran great, appeared to need new battery. Replaced it with a new wet battery (yeah i know better now). 2 weeks later, turn signals went out. 1 month later problem started again - turn over a couple times, then act lije battery is weak. Would eventually start, charged battery a couple of times. Then wouldnt start at all. Replaced battery again, still wont start. Now head light is out. Almost seems like battery is being drained while bike is sitting????
x2 what Scott42 said.....
But...................
To check for battery drain, with key in off position, Disconnect a cable from the battery.....connect an Amp (Current) Meter in series between battery and cable.....should be ZERO current....
If you do read current, then yes, you have an Electrical/Battery drain problem.

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 02:20 PM

I also recomend that you find the three yellow bullet connectors and unplug them and do a continuity test on the stator. If it shows you do have contact on one or more of the three legs then you have a grounded stator and that's bad. If you get no continuity on any of them then it should be good to my short knowledge of it. Also want to check your R/R to see if it's good or not.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

thanks scott. im going to check all of the wires and connections. may replace the r/r because its cheap and easy. having a hard time swallowing the Stator may be bad after only 13,000 miles...but that is probably my concious saying i really don't want to pull the engine. lol. any other input is appreciated. thanks again
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 12:34 AM

If it makes you feel any better? Mine went out at 18,000 miles so dont under estmate it. I just fixed mine, put it back together lastnight and a full day today. It runs like a whole new bike now. I bought mine off of scamlist ( craigslist) back in june, paid 1000.00 cash for it and had nothing but trouble with it, after it leaving me stranded on I-20 in town here I drew the last straw with it! It was either fix it or sell it, but I couldnt bring myself to do to another person like what the last guy had done to me! All in all its well worth the time and money to fix it, its also rewarding in the end, ask how I know.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

hey scott

Well im replacing voltage regulator this week on a wing and prayer that will work, but getting geared up for the stator replacement. Did you have to fully remove the engine? Any special tricks you have. Ive got the clymers manual, amy other suggested materials i shoild view. Special tools? I pulled an engine and rebuilt the top end 35 years ago when i was young , focused and patient. Lol. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks, Lane in Sacramento
Sponsored Links
Advertisement