so what does the i c ignitor do? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Question so what does the i c ignitor do?

I decided to simplify my bike get rid of get rid of any unnecessary electronics such as the reserves lighting unit, headlight relay( I want to put it on a toggle) cooling fan relay (put it on a toggle), most of the dash indicator lights turn signals high beams and such with the exception of the neutral light switch and the oil pressure light.I think I want to get rid of a tachometer is well, I don't need it I Drive by sound anyway and I never look at it...so somebody can explain to me the necessary of the IC igniter that would be helpful and if I can run the bike without one.I'm not a mechanic, but I'm pretty sharp, though I'm a little slow in dealing with the electronics part of the bike....any imput would be a help thanx in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

basically speaking, it controls the ignition. the pickup coils feed it, it calculates how much advance based on rpm, and fires the coils.

so, its gonna stay

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 10:48 PM
NEVER TO OLD TO RIDE

no ignitor, no spark. no spark and you walk.

99 vn750A15
stator mod and r/r mod
ignition coil mod
ignitor power circuit and ground circuit mod
ear shave rejet 142/42 plus .040 shimmed
vance and hines exhaust no baffles
custom paint
volt meter
petcock mod
new backrest and pad (no pic yet)
cooling fan cut off switch mod
jbm carb diaphrams (must have)
mcct mod
pickup coil mod
AGM Battery

did all the mods and repair work and custom paint myself. except exhaust.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Ok so it sontrols the ignition timing on the cylinders. Couple of questions more then, is there another timing system that is comparable and or compatable with the bike? And are the other functions removable such as the tach without messing up the ignitors functionality?

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 10:05 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
First, you can remove the Tac with out affecting the ignitor.

Our motorcycle is equipped with a CDI electronic ignition system, to go to points and breaker (mechanical ignition system) would cost a small fortune on setting it up, and you would loose a lot of horsepower in doing so.

Why do you want to remove it so much? if it is just to make less **** on your bike, forget it. There is only one ignitor that i know of that will replace the stock one, but they are spendy ($300 +S&H from Germany), not plug and play, and you h ave to know how to have access to a dyno to tune the engine.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 10:08 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
since you are scrapping the relays, are you making your own fusebox? perdsonally I would keep the relays and add toggle switches as an override function. Your headlight and Fan really needs a relay or you need to find a couple 30amp toggle switches.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
since you are scrapping the relays, are you making your own fusebox? perdsonally I would keep the relays and add toggle switches as an override function. Your headlight and Fan really needs a relay or you need to find a couple 30amp toggle switches.
+1 on that slim.

not to mention you do need to fuse them circuits somehow if you remove the fusebox

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Copy all that. I appreciate the imput on the ignitor. Looks like its gonna stay. So moving to the reserve lighting unit, i would like to remove it as well...btw i was going to make a new JB since i would be running the lights on toggle . Keep in mind this is all theory and actually doing this is based on my availability of free time. The cooling fan is also on that list it would be on toggle and turned on with the rest of my circuts...hope my aspirations arent over my head. But its a winter project now
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

just a thought on the cooling fan.. with a toggle switch (whether or not you run it thru a relay) to control it instead of using the coolant temp switch... you will loose the after run feature it has (where it runs for a couple mins after ign off if the temp is high enough).

dont know if it would be detrimental to any thing or not (I wouldnt think so, but you never know)

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 09:24 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I really don't know why you would want to remove any of this stuff. It is not computerized digital electronics like you find on newer bikes with ABS and EFI. I can see wanting to get rid of that. In fact I am going to convert from EFI to a carb on my 2013 Royal Enfield, for one because I hate electronics on motor vehicles, and second, so I can tinker with it. Another reason I like my VN750 is because it has real brakes that the rider can control, and carbs. I wish it had a points and coil ignition, but it is just not possible. I have found the Vulcan's electrics to very reliable, other than the stator, and even that lasted 92,000 miles.

I have hooked up fans on liquid cooled bikes to a toggle switch before, and had no problems. As far as the fan running after you shut the engine off, just leave the toggle switch on until you get you helmet, jacket, and gloves off, then it should be ok to shut it off. A really hot engine can get even hotter after it is shut off, due to something called "heat soak"

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement