Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Kawika

Question Do I need to relocate R/R?

Hi, I'm planning to do the following mods to my bike and was wondering if anyone thought the regulator/rectifier relocation is still necessary after doing these mods?

New MF battery (no leakage)
Vance/Hines Cruzer pipes (de-goated/less heat)

another question on the pipes....does anyone have an inexpensive source for the exhaust gaskets? My local dealer wants $8-$9 each...sounds a little steep.

I appreciate your advice!!

-Dave

LETS RIDE!! VROC# 26137
☠ Black Candy ☠ '07 Mean Streak 1600
☠ Blue Crush ☠ '95 VN750-A11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 11:30 AM
Old Truck Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewex View Post
Hi, I'm planning to do the following mods to my bike and was wondering if anyone thought the regulator/rectifier relocation is still necessary after doing these mods?

another question on the pipes....does anyone have an inexpensive source for the exhaust gaskets? My local dealer wants $8-$9 each...sounds a little steep.

-Dave
I did not relocate. I have the Jardine pipes. It is not needed.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Kawika

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
I did not relocate. I have the Jardine pipes. It is not needed.
Thanks for the advice niterider! I'm looking forward to less heat below my rear, too!

LETS RIDE!! VROC# 26137

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

I believe that 8 - 9 bucks is average price for the gaskets. My R/R is still in the stock location, but mine is degoated as well. I'll probably relocate when I replace it.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 05:11 PM
Growling at the World...

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog485
Quote:

-Dave
Damn... Who is your dealer? I hope not the evil and foul Banzai Motorsports Harley crush gaskets will work better then the metal Kaw gaskets. B&B Kaw in Elgin usually has a good price for the Kaw gaskets - ask for your VROC discount and mention my name.

In your case, the RR relo is a matter of taste. I did it even with my V&H pipes because it makes it easier to get to the RR. I had my RR in the OEM fail with my stator while at the Gathering in 2004 and it is a real bitch to get to the OEM spot while in a parking lot of a gas station.

In most cases, if it's time to fail, the RR will fail no matter where it is. But being in the OEM position does seem to add stress to an already fragile electrical system. Even without the goats belly, there is still heat and potential battery acid drippage (for those who still use the fillable batteries) hitting the RR if left in the OEM spot. Being out on the left side of the bike, where Kaw has it on the VN800's and some VN1500's gives it airflow to keep cool.

Now, since I make the RR kits and sell them off my website at http://www.bulldogsbike.com/relorr.htm I might be a bit biased toward doing the RR relo too.

Since you live a stones throw from me, if you want to see the RR relo in person, stop on by anytime. I can whip one up for you on the spot and even powdercoat to your color choice.

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
http://www.bulldogsbike.com
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 26,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 ~ Black Betty ~ 34,999.7 miles
VROC ~v~ 485
McHenry County Road Pirates
Chicagoland, IL
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Kawika

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog485 View Post
Damn... Who is your dealer? I hope not the evil and foul Banzai Motorsports Harley crush gaskets will work better then the metal Kaw gaskets. B&B Kaw in Elgin usually has a good price for the Kaw gaskets - ask for your VROC discount and mention my name.

In your case, the RR relo is a matter of taste. I did it even with my V&H pipes because it makes it easier to get to the RR. I had my RR in the OEM fail with my stator while at the Gathering in 2004 and it is a real bitch to get to the OEM spot while in a parking lot of a gas station.

In most cases, if it's time to fail, the RR will fail no matter where it is. But being in the OEM position does seem to add stress to an already fragile electrical system. Even without the goats belly, there is still heat and potential battery acid drippage (for those who still use the fillable batteries) hitting the RR if left in the OEM spot. Being out on the left side of the bike, where Kaw has it on the VN800's and some VN1500's gives it airflow to keep cool.

Now, since I make the RR kits and sell them off my website at http://www.bulldogsbike.com/relorr.htm I might be a bit biased toward doing the RR relo too.

Since you live a stones throw from me, if you want to see the RR relo in person, stop on by anytime. I can whip one up for you on the spot and even powdercoat to your color choice.
I think I called Nielson's and Woodfield. I had heard the harley gaskets are better, but I need a part number or something...

You made some good points about the RR relo...I'll keep your offer in mind

I've checked your bike out before and didn't even notice the V&H pipes...Looks great!! did you get those locally? B&B?

LETS RIDE!! VROC# 26137

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 09:32 PM
Growling at the World...

Quote:
I've checked your bike out before and didn't even notice the V&H pipes...Looks great!! did you get those locally? B&B?
I'm the ultimate scrounge when it comes to motorcycle parts. My pipes I got 1/2 price from a discount outlet dealer around 5 years ago. They are called Bargain Barn Cycles. They don't do much these days but back in the day they were the scratch & dent outlet for Drag Specialties and the like.

Almost every aftermarket part on both my bikes came at a drastic discount...

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 26,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
VROC ~v~ 485
Chicagoland, IL
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 10:04 PM

at some point these numbers were posted, perhaps someone else has better but here goes. hd screaming eagle 17048 98. i bought some gaskets susing this number but only after a long discussion with the parts guy. he wanted to know what it was going to be used on, i hedged because the parts house, (ind. harley dealer) has been known to be hardnosed about other brands.. everything turned out well he was actually a good joe. hope this helps. another number is g t 17048 98? good luck
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Kawika

Quote:
Originally Posted by aradams View Post
at some point these numbers were posted, perhaps someone else has better but here goes. hd screaming eagle 17048 98. i bought some gaskets susing this number but only after a long discussion with the parts guy. he wanted to know what it was going to be used on, i hedged because the parts house, (ind. harley dealer) has been known to be hardnosed about other brands.. everything turned out well he was actually a good joe. hope this helps. another number is g t 17048 98? good luck
Thanks!! My experience was just that...mention the Kaw and they cross their arms at the Harley parts counter.

LETS RIDE!! VROC# 26137

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Growling at the World...

Quote:
Thanks!! My experience was just that...mention the Kaw and they cross their arms at the Harley parts counter.
I the Chicagoland area, that is a mixed bag reaction. Some HD dealerships are really cool and some are total HD sheeple.

I've found that Woodstock and McHenry HD are usually pretty cool at the parts counter. They can be a little sticky but for the most part want to service the customer. Now don't try to bring back anything that has been modified as they get touchy, or so I've heard.

City Limits (former Suburban HD) Harley and Wildfire are total tools. Wildfire is one of the worst HD dealerships and they brought that attitude to the City Limits when they purchased it. Suburban was not much better but the Wildfire crew brought useless to a whole new level.

Lake Shore HD is pretty good people. But I'm in tight with their GM as he was a VROCer back in the beginning (before he totally got screwed by the mechanical staff at the old Banzai).

Chicago HD is also pretty good in the parts department. I've got connections there so nobody messes with me there.

Zylistra in St Charles are pretty much scumbag douchbags on a level next to no one. Back in the day when they were Fishers, they were great but now they are just another superstore with HD sheeple at the helm. Too bad...

Uke's in Wisconson is pretty good and a fun place to go to. Their parts people are pretty good.

There are others that I cannot remember at the moment. Most of these shops know me and know that I have a big mouth so they usually don't give me grief. They know that if they piss me off, I will talk and talk to people who are potential customers. Woodfield Motorsports (Kaw & Yam) was on a negative web page I kept for almost 10 years which cost them some serious business. Their businesses practices still have not improved much, but I grew tired of the negative list and the occasional legal threats that it generated.

I've generally found that with HD shops that if you are honest and real, most will treat you right. Especially now when the sales of luxury items is down, they want every dollar they can get. Even if that dollar smells like yen

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
VROC ~v~ 485
Chicagoland, IL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement