Replacing Ignition/Charging Parts - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Replacing Ignition/Charging Parts

I have been surfing this forum for all kinds of information. What a help it's been! I accuired a 93 Vulcan this past summer and have got it running a lot better than what is was, however, I am still having trouble with the rear Cyl not "catching". I have spark and fuel but no ingition. I am pretty confident that the carb is not the problem. I want to upgrade/replace some components that seem to be a running problem with the Vulcan. Parts I want to replace are R/R (relocate also), coils, and battery. The Stator tests good. I have a stock number for a MF battery, but I don't know if I should replace with OEM or after market parts. If I could get some feedback on what the best product is out there for those parts and where to get them that would be great. Thanks in advance for feedback!

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Please explain your problem in a bit more detail. I think I may be having the same issue as you describe - the rear cylinder "not catching". When does this happen to you?

My rear cylindar cuts out at certain rpms or throttle positions. I have done a lot to try to fix it - and it is a lot better than when I got the bike - but it still seems to cut out at times. It was making riding very difficult and now it's just mainly annoying! I have done the following to try to fix it -

Seafoam treatment
Adjust the mixture
Re-jetted
New iridium plugs
New wires
New high performance Dyna Coils
New MF battery

I am still thinking it may be the rear carb because I did not completely rebuild it when I rejetted. Next I may replace the ignition pick-up modules. Good luck with yours!

97 VN 750
R&R Relocated
Degoated
Marbled
Ears Shaved/Rejetted
MF/AGM Battery
Irridium Plugs
Spring Solo Seat
32 Ford Model A Tail Light
Custom 2 into 1 Exhaust with 12 inch Glass Pack

Rear bobbed and hard-tailed!
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5385
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Well, I rebuilt the carbs (rear twice) (no rejet) and replaced the plugs mutiple times. It catches when I am at high rpms only. I feel the surge when starting out and when I punch it a little while cruising at 55mph. I can have it sitting at idle and rev it up quick and hear the rear catching. I tried the fuel mix both starving it in case it is flooding the cyl. and dumping the fuel in case its starving for it. No change. I am at a loss right now. I am just going to start throwing new (probably needed) parts at it and use process of elimination unless there is someone out there with a better idea. Its getting frustrating!

Jim

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 11:52 AM

It does sound similar to what mine is doing - only yours does sound a lot worse. When mine cuts out I add some throttle and it catches and accelerates great! Seems to happen to me more at steady speeds.

Keep us posted on your progress.

97 VN 750
R&R Relocated
Degoated
Marbled
Ears Shaved/Rejetted
MF/AGM Battery
Irridium Plugs
Spring Solo Seat

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Search Goddess

Have you done an earshave? There is a tube that runs down to your right air filter that nestles in some little grooves there. This tube needs proper air flow. If you still have the ears, make sure it is not bottomed out in the ear and it is cut at a 45 degree angle. If you have done an air shave then check to see where you ran the tube. High rpms cut-out is typical of this tube not getting the right air flow. Higher rpms means more air, hence the cut-out.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianna View Post
Have you done an earshave? There is a tube that runs down to your right air filter that nestles in some little grooves there. This tube needs proper air flow. If you still have the ears, make sure it is not bottomed out in the ear and it is cut at a 45 degree angle. If you have done an air shave then check to see where you ran the tube. High rpms cut-out is typical of this tube not getting the right air flow. Higher rpms means more air, hence the cut-out.
Dianna - Where dose this tube come FROM? I may have simply plugged it when I did my ear shave. I'll have to check to see if I can find the tube you're talking about. Then where should it run TO after an ear shave? Back into the new filter? Or route it to a mini-filter?

97 VN 750
R&R Relocated
Degoated
Marbled
Ears Shaved/Rejetted
MF/AGM Battery
Irridium Plugs
Spring Solo Seat

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Search Goddess

There is a T fitting coming off the carbs, the vent tube runs off of that. You can just tuck this down under the tank, (facing down). Some have routed it to a small crankcase filter but it doesn't need it, just so it gets good air flow without catching a bunch of debris.
I think Pick had his close to the edge of the tank and discovered if he happened to hug the tank with his knees he got a little sputter. Of course knnes came away from the tank when he looked down and it smoothed out.. Once he rerouted the hose it was smooth sailing at all rpms.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

No I don't have it shaved and the hose is routed properly and has the 45 degree angle at the end. I have read about that on previous threads so I made sure it was cut right.

Any suggestions on what brand and where to buy the coils and R/R? After market vs OEM? Thanks!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Old Truck Junkie

There is also a vaccuum hose that comes off the right side from the rear carb. If the valve has a busted diaphram you will get raw air into the cylinder.
Here is a pic where I plugged after coaster job.

02 honda sabre 1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement