Looking for replacement rear turn signals, will these work:.... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Looking for replacement rear turn signals, will these work:....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-A...d5fc9a&vxp=mtr

I found these on eBay. They're not DOT approved but it says they fit Vulcan 750. They look completely different than the original turn signals but since they're only $10, I'm considering buying these solely for price. Also, if they do fit, will these pass inspection at most garages?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 01:01 PM

Garage
The stock turn signals twist in place and get held in with a screw. These you will need to bolt on from the back side of the grab bar. Anything will fit it you make it. Not sure how much a garage cares for passing inspection, as long as they work.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 02:45 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Depends on the state and county for inspections... When I was in Texas, Belton county wouldn't pass my bike for the turn signals and cobra exhaust, one county over in Lampassas passed the bike with flying colors. Funny thing... It was the same mechanic and same garage on the same day.. Lol

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 05:23 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

No inspections in AZ, but the cops are constantly writing tickets for illegal signals. Most sport bike riders use the flush fairing mount ones. If the cop sees you making a turn using them, you get 2 tickets. An equipment violation, and a ticket for turning without a signal, as illegal signals don't count. That's just here, I'm sure it's different in other states, but it might even be worse in some. You should be able to find some used oem signals on eBay. I rode my dual sport bike around for years with no turn signals. Just used arm signals. Legal here. I had to put them back on to go to CA.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

Yea, Shark, I know there is a rubber part that twists off and then the actual bolt. Looking just at the pic of the signals on eBay, I think they will just bolt right on. I guess i can put a few rubber washers or something in between for better connection.

Do you know if the wires are just plug and play, or if I'll have to get them soldered. The oem's just popped in and out via a metal prong.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 06:50 AM

most likely the bullet connector ends on the lights you linked are bigger than the stock ones on the bike. I bought some LED replacement turn signals off ebay, and the stock bullet connectors are much smaller, and I'm having a devil of a time finding that size in any local stores so I don't have to cut and solder.

You can always just get replacement crimp-on bullet connectors from Rat Shack, etc and replace the ones on the bike wiring harness and the new lights. I'm trying to find original size connectors for my lights in case I have to revert to stock for any reason

"wanting people to listen, you can't just tap them on the shoulder anymore - you have to hit them with a sledgehammer. and then you'll notice you have their strict attention"
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 10:05 PM

Them things on ebay are tiny, with a reg bulb....you cant hardly see em in the day.....I have a similar pair for marker lights....

....I went to a boneyard, and bought 4 Yamaha all steel signals for $10....instand ground so ya only need 2 wires....and most jap lenses are interchangable.....my Yammys were same diameter as the stock ones....

...scrap and salvage yards are your friend.....besides, its cool to walk around and check out the old iron (vintage stuff)....I used to go 2x/mo before I got sick....amazing what you can find.....

Mine looked like this...but these are Suzuki....search ebay for "vintage japanese turn signals"....dont search specifically for VNs...

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks guys. I'm just going to get a pair off eBay and see if they fit. If not, I'll take them to radioshack and see if I can get a bigger female bullet connector. In that case, do I just cut right where my fingers are in the pic and crimp on the connector? I'm not worried about reverting back to stock as my stock signals are no good - the rubber arm is broke in half on both turn signal units.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0216[1].jpg
Views:	26
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	18593  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Wolfie, so you are able to get those vintage lights to fit on your vn even though it doesn't have the rubber base connection the stock vn units have? I'm all about getting some nice vintage lights on, I just need to make sure i can somehow install them snug and securely.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

You can see in this pic how my signals dangle due to the rubber splitting
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1787.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	18601  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement