Ninja R/R on Vulcan 750 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Ninja R/R on Vulcan 750

Thanks to Redskinner for the tip regarding using a Ninja 600 Rectifier/Regulator on our bikes - I ordered one cheap from Ebay and it works fine. Saved a lot of money! I got a 1990 OEM R/R from that looks new for $37 with shipping.

There are a bunch of Kawasaki OEM R/R's that will fit. There are probably subtle electrical differences, but they are pin-compatible with the VN750 harness.

I tried the Universal 500 W rectifier (rm10-515) from RM Stator and it died, apparently from a manufacturing defect. RM Stator is testing it now. That unit is also pin-compatible with the VN750 and they claim it is higher capacity. The heatsink casting is a bit smaller than the OEM R/R and the terminals are thinner, so I would assume the rectifier diodes used have a higher current rating in lieu of better cooling capacity. I plan to use it as the primary R/R for my bike when they send a new one and save the OEM unit as a back up.

Darrel
'03 Vulcan 750 (90k miles)
-Corbin Seat
-V-Force Windshield
-LeatherLyke Touring Bags
-Chrome Luggage Rack
-Headlight Modulator
-Brakelight Flasher
-MF Battery
-Heads-Up Voltage Monitor
-Replaced Stator (9,000 and 16,000 mi.)
-Oil-cooled Stator Mod (photos)
-Replaced and Relocated R/R
-Greased rear splines
-Fused Stator (photos)
-Metzeler ME880 Marathon 170/80-15 (Rear), 110/90-19 (Front)
-TOC MCCTs installed
-Headlight Relays
SOLD - 2013

Last edited by darrelc5; 01-14-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Search Goddess

There was(is) a universal Suzuki R/R with a 5 wire connector that supposedly works on our bikes except it blows fuses. I was told by Willie's to swap the red and black wires and it woud be fine. Haven't tried it yet since I had a couple of R/Rs from ebay (Ninja ones too) Curby Keith had told me about them being the same several years ago.
If you look at Ron Ayers parts and get the VN750 part number there is a spot on the left that says.. "What does this part fit?" you enter the part number and it brings up a list of the vehicles it applies to. I believe the Kawasaki Bayou also uses the same R/R

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 10:35 PM

[QUOTE=darrelc5;48649]Thanks to Redskinner for the tip regarding using a Ninja 600 Rectifier/Regulator on our bikes - I ordered one cheap from Ebay and it works fine. Saved a lot of money! I got a 1990 OEM R/R from that looks new for $37 with shipping.

There are a bunch of Kawasaki OEM R/R's that will fit. There are probably subtle electrical differences, but they are pin-compatible with the VN750 harness.
QUOTE]

No problem.....just doing my part!!!!!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 11:39 AM

HI there, I was wondering, I have 2 bikes, a 86 454 LTD and an 89/90 Vulcan 750. I have a whole parts bike for the 454 that I've been canibalizing to fix my runner, and I'm wondering if the R/R from the 454 is compatible with the 750? and I'm also wondering if the Stator from the 454 is the same as the 750? I'm really not looking forward to buying a stator, those things are kinda 'spensive lol, and i'm CHEAP... so it would be really nice if anyone out there knows if they are cross compatible
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 12:19 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Using the Ron Ayers micro fiche.....

The 454's R/R is part #21066-1030, and the Vulcans is #21066-1089.

The stator for the 454 is different also, with it's #21003-1123 compared to the Vulcans #21003-1118

The R/R might still work (but don't quote me on that!) but I'm guessing the connector is probably different.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 01:37 PM

Thanks Hyper, i figured the regulator might work.. lots of honda stuff is compatible with different years if you don't mind cutting off connectors and hardwiring stuff, i figured the kawi's are similar. Thanks for looking those things up for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement