Odd voltage issue - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Odd voltage issue

It always seems like whenever I fix one issue, another issue rears it's ugly head.

Over the last week or so I've noticed when riding at night my lights are quickly getting very bright - independent of my actual RPM. My headlight gets nearly as bright as when I have the highbeam on (and the ACTUAL highbeam is obnoxiously bright!), my instrument cluster brightens, even the turn signals and the indicator lights on the dash are overly bright.

If I remain at a constant RPM it'll eventually go away, but it does not seem to be tied to the RPM at all. If I rev the engine when the lights are bright I don't really see a difference, and if I lower my RPM (pulling the clutch in), same thing.. it doesn't get dimmer.

It's very unsteady and doesn't occur all the time. I'm more concerned that it's gonna burn out my bulbs prematurely. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 11:17 PM

Just a guess

I would check the regulator and see if it is fluctuating. That's what it sounds like but then again, I am just guessing.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

What's the best way to check? Just check the voltage levels coming out of it?

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 12:00 AM

Yeah it should be 14+ when above 3000 RPM. Use a meter and give it gas and hold at about 3500. If you see the voltage fluctuating at an even speed, that would tell me that it is time to replace.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 11:45 AM
..have a vulcan good day!

Check/Clean the 3 Stator (AC) connections as well as completely cleaning R/R connection.

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Alright, here's the latest update...

A few months back I had already removed the bullet connectors and soldered the connections. I double checked them today and everything looks good.

I checked the voltages coming out of the R/R, I'm getting 13.5v at idle, 13.56v at 3500rpm. However I don't ever see the lights brighten while sitting at idle or even while revving the engine..it seems to only happen when riding, which is odd.

I did re-locate my R/R this evening, didn't have a drillbit long enough so I had to remove the battery box. Overall a hassle, but not a big deal. R/R was moved to the usual spot folks seem to mount it at. I took her for a ride after hooking everything up and noticed everything was brighter about 80% of the time.

I thought to rev the engine a bit to see if it was tied to RPM and a strange new symptom occurred.. In gear (3rd or 4th) I pulled in the clutch and revved the engine. The RPM needle went haywire - up down up down, going as low as 0 RPM and up to 4-5k RPM and back down a few times a second. The engine itself just sounded odd, almost like a car engine that has an RPM cap on it when being revved, but not quite.

The electrical seemed to flicker while this was going on as well. I also tried giving it a lot of throttle with the clutch out and in 3rd/4th..same thing happened which scared the **** out of me (felt like I was gonna lose control) so I didn't do that again.

I'm completely stumped. It sounds like my voltages are a bit low coming out of the R/R, but I was thinking that's just my stator? I've been planning to replace that in the fall when I pull the engine. Could a bad R/R cause this new symptom as well?

Any suggestions on safely checking the voltage while riding?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 01:25 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Sounds like you have a loose ground wire... More than likely the bullet connector by the battery
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 01:26 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
As for checking voltage while riding... Get a cheap automotive voltage gauge and wire it up to the battery right before you go ride
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Gonna try that later..it's alright to wire it up to the battery and not the R/R? I guess it shouldn't matter, but double checking.

If that's the case, I can probably rig it up to the battery tender leads I have coming off the battery.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 12:51 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Just remember this is for diagnostics only... If you want a volt gauge permanently you need to write it in on a key on source with a relay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement