Bike having trouble starting - non stator related? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Bike having trouble starting - non stator related?

Hey guys,

So I wanted to run this by you all.

My Stator is currently bust and the parts won't show up until monday and the mechanic is gone until next week *I'm using his shop to do my own work, nice guy*
Skip to the bolded text if ya just want to read the bit about the electrics, below is some of the starting issues I've had:

Anyway, the way I figured my stator was shot was when I was having trouble cold starting my bike one day and drained the battery. However the bike had always given me a rough time warm starting (had to open choke and throttle) and I had only started having issues cold starting (about a week before stator went out).

When I tried to jump the bike at my grandpa's shop the other day I was still having trouble, I tried a bunch of diffrent things but it just gives me a real rough time. only works if I have the choke open, the throttle turned open while it turns over.

I'm concerned the ignition coil or something else might be going wonky aside from the stator. I'm going to hope that the issues before were related to a low battery (stator was doing 13 volts on it's last legs at 4-5k rpm).

We will probably take off the carbs and check those out for the starting issues, but I wanted to try and rule out some electrical issues.

Here are more details:

I had to jump start the thing about 13 times between when the stator was first failing, by the time I got home, and for running tests, all within a week or so.

Add to the fact that for about 60 miles i was running the bike at over 4k RPM with a dead battery (using my very quickly dying stator to try and get me home ASAP on what ever voltage it could run in place of the battery).

Thanks,
-Kyle.

'04 Vulcan 750 27k+
My first ride- June 2013 @ 22k miles
Stator replaced 27k

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education"- Mark Twain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 01:12 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
you may think its not related to the stator.. but before I fixed my charging system, I had the smae problem trying to start my bike.. once I fixed the charging system and put in a new AGM battery, I haven't ahd a starting issue... but I also adjusted my pickup coils, upgraded the ignition system witch ACELL Super Coils and an Ignatech Ignition Control Interface which could also contribute to the ease of starting...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 01:41 AM
ass hole extaordinaire

check and see what the voltage is going to the red wires on your ignition coils if the battery is fully charged and the voltage on the red wires is les than 12 volts then do the ignition coil relay mod

warm starts are helped by doing the pickup coil gap mod

also check the connector on the r/r and make sure it is in good order if it is in the original location it gets hot from being so close to the goats belly and can fry the r/r and the connector

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks,

I'm hoping everything is the stator but I want to cover my bases. My milage also dropped from 135+ miles a tank (before reserve) to only aout 118 before the stator went out, so maybe carbs or air intake if it's not electrical? I'll try checking those wires.

is there anything in or around the stator I could check/test while I have the engine open?

'04 Vulcan 750 27k+
Stator replaced 27k

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle.

Last edited by kyledk; 08-04-2014 at 10:19 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 02:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyledk View Post
My milage also dropped from 135+ miles a tank (before reserve) to only aout 18 before the stator went out,
Whaaaat?

18 miles to a TANKFULL?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmsonta View Post
Whaaaat?

18 miles to a TANKFULL?
118, opps, fixed that.

'04 Vulcan 750 27k+
Stator replaced 27k

Sponsored Links
Advertisement