Tail light - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Mike DeAngelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,072
iTrader: (3)
 
Tail light

I have a 2008 VN900 and I've been hijacked yet again by the rear tail light gremlin.

I had a front blinker bulb go on me a couple of weeks ago then noticed the tail light was out. The brake light worked. Well I replaced all the bulbs and life was good. Now the tail light is out again. I checked the wiring on the diagram and did some research. I read it has to be the bulb as the brake light works. Not sure if this is true but the bulb is a double filament.

I'd like to thank the guy who followed me into Lowes to tell me. I'd like to unthank him for telling me it was very dangerous. This was after I thanked him. I guess he was trying to help and threw in a little lecture about dangerous situations. It's all good, no problems.

I'm wondering if I have a wiring problem. I guess I'll know when I check he bulb again tomorrow.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
HID lighting 35 Watt White
Chrome Slotted oval Mirrors
Chilhowee Tank Bra
Barons Big Air Kit
Vance & Hines Twin Slash staggered
EJK Gen 3 Electronic Jet Kit

1991 Vulcan 750 226 miles
Spiegler brake lines
rebuilt calipers, master brake cylinder
Mike DeAngelo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 07:42 AM
200% senile
 
Texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Close to San Antonio, TX
Posts: 164
iTrader: (2)
 
More than likely it's just the bulb again. There's no rhyme or reason it seems to how long the bulbs last. You're correct, the 1157 bulbs are double filament...one filament for a running light and the other for the stop light or turn signal.
Sylvania makes a 1157 LL Long Life. Looks like this...http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-1157-.../dp/B000AMADZK They can be found at just about any parts store or even Wal-Mart. Do they really last longer...I have no idea. On motorcycles I think it's the vibration more than anything else that kills them. Just keep some extras on hand, replace when needed and ride on.

1996 VN 750
2007 Vulcan Mean Streak SE

When I was younger I was afraid I'd die riding. Now that I'm old and falling apart, I'm afraid I won't.

Last edited by Texas; 07-31-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Texas is offline  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 07:50 AM
Old Fart
 
Knifemaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Catawissa, MO
Posts: 11,673
iTrader: (4)
     
Garage
Well it is possible you have a problem with the wiring. There are 3 wires that go to the tail light. One might be shorting out? The wires run under the fender, so a rock or something could have damaged it.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Knifemaker is offline  
 
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 08:21 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs
 
JM2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rochester, New York
Posts: 1,803
iTrader: (1)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike DeAngelo View Post
I have a 2008 VN900 and I've been hijacked yet again by the rear tail light gremlin.

I had a front blinker bulb go on me a couple of weeks ago then noticed the tail light was out. The brake light worked. Well I replaced all the bulbs and life was good. Now the tail light is out again. I checked the wiring on the diagram and did some research. I read it has to be the bulb as the brake light works. Not sure if this is true but the bulb is a double filament.

I'd like to thank the guy who followed me into Lowes to tell me. I'd like to unthank him for telling me it was very dangerous. This was after I thanked him. I guess he was trying to help and threw in a little lecture about dangerous situations. It's all good, no problems.

I'm wondering if I have a wiring problem. I guess I'll know when I check he bulb again tomorrow.
When you pull the bulb is the one filament burned out? The 1157 bulb has a locking nub on each side. The bulb will go into the socket either way but there is only one way it will lock in properly to give you a good secure contact. Put the bulb in one way, pull it, then reverse it 180 degrees. You will notice a difference in how secure the bulb is.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
JM2001 is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 05:10 PM
Senior Member
 
kc2dgq's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,350
iTrader: (13)
 
Garage
kc2dgq is offline  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Mike DeAngelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,072
iTrader: (3)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Well it is possible you have a problem with the wiring. There are 3 wires that go to the tail light. One might be shorting out? The wires run under the fender, so a rock or something could have damaged it.
This is what I'm thinking. I was under there but will have to take a much closer look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM2001 View Post
When you pull the bulb is the one filament burned out? The 1157 bulb has a locking nub on each side. The bulb will go into the socket either way but there is only one way it will lock in properly to give you a good secure contact. Put the bulb in one way, pull it, then reverse it 180 degrees. You will notice a difference in how secure the bulb is.
I agree and found this out playing around with the bulb in the socket. Three times I tried before I switched the nubs around. I guess that makes me stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas View Post
More than likely it's just the bulb again. There's no rhyme or reason it seems to how long the bulbs last. You're correct, the 1157 bulbs are double filament...one filament for a running light and the other for the stop light or turn signal.

Checked the bulb and the fuse. Both are perfect.

Sylvania makes a 1157 LL Long Life. Looks like this...http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-1157-.../dp/B000AMADZK They can be found at just about any parts store or even Wal-Mart. Do they really last longer...I have no idea. On motorcycles I think it's the vibration more than anything else that kills them. Just keep some extras on hand, replace when needed and ride on.
I'll pick this up at walmart tomorrow morning. Flushed the radiator today. I wish sheit would come apart as engineered. Need to stop at home depot and pick up some nuts and bolts.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
HID lighting 35 Watt White
Chrome Slotted oval Mirrors
Chilhowee Tank Bra
Barons Big Air Kit
Vance & Hines Twin Slash staggered
EJK Gen 3 Electronic Jet Kit

1991 Vulcan 750 226 miles
Spiegler brake lines
rebuilt calipers, master brake cylinder
Mike DeAngelo is offline  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Mike DeAngelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,072
iTrader: (3)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2dgq View Post
buy an LED bulb
I may eventually but don't have the cash right now. Good idea though.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
HID lighting 35 Watt White
Chrome Slotted oval Mirrors
Chilhowee Tank Bra
Barons Big Air Kit
Vance & Hines Twin Slash staggered
EJK Gen 3 Electronic Jet Kit

1991 Vulcan 750 226 miles
Spiegler brake lines
rebuilt calipers, master brake cylinder
Mike DeAngelo is offline  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 07:28 PM
Senior Member
 
kc2dgq's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,350
iTrader: (13)
 
Garage
PM me your address Mike, I will send you one I got but never used.

Hell...I may even drive down to deliver it...lol
kc2dgq is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Mike DeAngelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,072
iTrader: (3)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2dgq View Post
PM me your address Mike, I will send you one I got but never used.

Hell...I may even drive down to deliver it...lol
Hey brother, that would be really nice of you. Sounds like a PLAN! Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of moving. I'm working on my bike and packing. I have to be out but the 15th and can start moving stuff next Monday.

I need to pick up the bulb tomorrow early along with synthetic oil. The dealership wants 13 dollars a quart for some crap. I told them I'd pick it up this way the oil change will only be 35 bucks or so. before I do though, I need to call walmart and see if they will take oil from me as I'm purchasing the oil from them. If they will then I change it myself in the parking lot of my complex as I did a coolant flush today.

Where do you live? If you're close enough maybe we can do a ride next week.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
HID lighting 35 Watt White
Chrome Slotted oval Mirrors
Chilhowee Tank Bra
Barons Big Air Kit
Vance & Hines Twin Slash staggered
EJK Gen 3 Electronic Jet Kit

1991 Vulcan 750 226 miles
Spiegler brake lines
rebuilt calipers, master brake cylinder
Mike DeAngelo is offline  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 09:57 PM
..have a vulcan good day!
 
WilliamTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pensacola, FL.
Posts: 4,508
iTrader: (17)
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike DeAngelo View Post
Hey brother, that would be really nice of you. Sounds like a PLAN! Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of moving. I'm working on my bike and packing. I have to be out but the 15th and can start moving stuff next Monday.

I need to pick up the bulb tomorrow early along with synthetic oil. The dealership wants 13 dollars a quart for some crap. I told them I'd pick it up this way the oil change will only be 35 bucks or so. before I do though, I need to call walmart and see if they will take oil from me as I'm purchasing the oil from them. If they will then I change it myself in the parking lot of my complex as I did a coolant flush today.

Where do you live? If you're close enough maybe we can do a ride next week.
If Walmart has an automotive dept. to mount tires, replace batteries....they will take your used/old oil.

hth


'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
WilliamTech is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Once registered, your User Name"cannot be changed". We can make exceptions within 7 days, but after that, it is set in stone.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome