Red LED Board from Clear Alternatives - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Red LED Board from Clear Alternatives

Back to the clear taillight - I put in a different set of red LEDs and thought that the running lights were much brighter than what I originally had in there, but my better half said, "Brighten up." Emailed Clear Alternatives, and it turns out they now make a red LED board for the clear taillights - MUCH brighter indeed! So for anyone who likes the look of the clear lens but wasn't sure about visibility, this may be your way to go. The lightbar above the taillight is from Custom Dynamics.

C

Last edited by Crobins365; 10-05-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 11:39 AM
Drive less, ride more...

Thanks much, Cindy!!!.....

Especially for the photos.....

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 10:44 PM
Growling at the World...

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobins365 View Post
Emailed Clear Alternatives, and it turns out they now make a red LED board for the clear taillights - MUCH brighter indeed!
Where have you been hiding? This is the board I had them create for us. I've seen it with the clear lenses and it is nice but IMHO it really shines with the red OEM lenses.

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
http://www.bulldogsbike.com
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 26,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 ~ Black Betty ~ 34,999.7 miles
VROC ~v~ 485
McHenry County Road Pirates
Chicagoland, IL

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog485 View Post
Where have you been hiding? This is the board I had them create for us. I've seen it with the clear lenses and it is nice but IMHO it really shines with the red OEM lenses.
In the bowels of Orleans...

I didn't think they had a red board - I thought you were responsible for the WHITE board, which I have on McK.

Well, anyway, THANKS! I love it now that I've found it!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 11:29 AM
Drive less, ride more...

I'd be more curious to learn where/how you plan to mount the Custom Dynamics light bar.....

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Growling at the World...

Quote:
In the bowels of Orleans...

I didn't think they had a red board - I thought you were responsible for the WHITE board, which I have on McK.

Well, anyway, THANKS! I love it now that I've found it!
To my knowledge, there is no white light LED board for the VN750. The board looks white when it is not powered up but when you turn it on the LED's are red. A white LED shining through a red lenses would give a pink glow, which wouldn't look right and might not be legal.

If you get a chance, ride behind someone who has a clear lenses on their bike before you make up your mind on which you like better. I've seen both, the clear lenses and the OEM lenses with the LED boards in them and personally perfer the red lenses as it gives a more eye catching effect.

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 26,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
VROC ~v~ 485
Chicagoland, IL
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theauhawk View Post
I'd be more curious to learn where/how you plan to mount the Custom Dynamics light bar.....
It's mounted where it's shown - not the most secure job yet, but I wanted the extra brake light to be a little higher (than lower), kinda like the lights that are in the rear windows of cars.

Bulldog...you're telling me that my McKnight board is actually red? Why would white LEDs create a "pink" glow, whereas incandescent 1157s (white) create the usual red?

C

Last edited by Crobins365; 12-29-2007 at 03:09 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 03:36 PM

I am no expert on this but I always thought LEDs naturally produce a red, yellow or orange light and any other color - ESPECIALLY WHITE - is much harder to produce. Thus a red LED bulb does not look red as it does not depend upon the glass bulb for color. I am sure others more knowledgable than I can add to, subtract from or correct this!

97 VN 750
R&R Relocated
Degoated
Marbled
Ears Shaved/Rejetted
MF/AGM Battery
Irridium Plugs
Spring Solo Seat
32 Ford Model A Tail Light
Custom 2 into 1 Exhaust with 12 inch Glass Pack

Rear bobbed and hard-tailed!
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5385
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 06:06 PM
Growling at the World...

Quote:
Bulldog...you're telling me that my McKnight board is actually red? Why would white LEDs create a "pink" glow, whereas incandescent 1157s (white) create the usual red?
If you got your board from Clear Alternatives, it is a RED LED board. Pull the lenses cover off and fire it up. If CA is putting out white LED boards, they neither consulted with me on it and didn't list them on their website. All the LED boards on the CA website are red unless noted.

The reason that a white LED going through a red lenses would look pinkish is that the white light coming from the LED's is so powerful and bright that it overpowers the red color of the lense somewhat. That is why the red led's in the Electrical Connections kit can shine red through the amber signal lenses in the turn signals.

I've rode behind bikes with white LED's under a red filter and it is not an effect that I like. Some weaker white LED's will work fine and give off a light through the lenses that is the color of the lenses, but I want the strongest LED I can get and the quality of the Clear Alternatives boards, they will show pretty much their true color no matter what the lenses is. The reason I like the red lenses with the red CA board is that it makes the red that much more red. The CA red is a lighter red in it's natural state.

Hope this helps unconfuse things...

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
VROC ~v~ 485
Chicagoland, IL

Last edited by bulldog485; 12-29-2007 at 06:06 PM. Reason: my spelling sucks...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Just so you don't think I'm a complete idiot:
I purchased a CA clear taillight/LED set off of eBay a month or so ago, and what I got was the clear lens and 2 1157-base LED clusters (red). I never bothered to check the unlens-ed color of the board on McKnight since a) normal 1157s are white and b) the CA board looks white unlit. Your explanation does "unconfuse" things, but you can see where my eBay purchase just reinforced an already errant set of assumptions! (Darned eBay...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement