1985 vulcan 700 electrical nightmare! Please help! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Question 1985 vulcan 700 electrical nightmare! Please help!

I recently bought the bike and it started and ran fine. The blinkers dont work and the original owner gave me a new voltage regulator because the battery apparently died after a few days. I installed the regulator and started it up. Within seconds the voltage reg heated up , almost painful to touch. I know nothing about regulators and didn't think much since it was a brand new unit. The next day the bike wouldn't start. It wouldn't turn over, nothing. When I hot start it it turns over strong but I am not receiving spark as far as I know. My theory is the lockout switch or wiring is fried. I put a brand new ignition switch in because a mechanic that looked at it said that is were the problem was. Still doesn't even turn over. The starter switch is good. The starter relay is good. I did fine 2 wires that are fried that go into the fuse box and if ignition box. I'm no expert and am not sure what to do. I'm in over my head. Did I fry the switched or just wires? Both? I could try repairing the fried wires but think replacing the wiring harness is best. That doesn't solve my charge problems tho. What is causing the battery to die after 5 days? Why did the brand new voltage regulator overheat and fry my system?! Any help or ideas would be very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 09:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reekless View Post
I recently bought the bike and it started and ran fine. The blinkers dont work and the original owner gave me a new voltage regulator because the battery apparently died after a few days. I installed the regulator and started it up. Within seconds the voltage reg heated up , almost painful to touch. I know nothing about regulators and didn't think much since it was a brand new unit. The next day the bike wouldn't start. It wouldn't turn over, nothing. When I hot start it it turns over strong but I am not receiving spark as far as I know. My theory is the lockout switch or wiring is fried. I put a brand new ignition switch in because a mechanic that looked at it said that is were the problem was. Still doesn't even turn over. The starter switch is good. The starter relay is good. I did fine 2 wires that are fried that go into the fuse box and if ignition box. I'm no expert and am not sure what to do. I'm in over my head. Did I fry the switched or just wires? Both? I could try repairing the fried wires but think replacing the wiring harness is best. That doesn't solve my charge problems tho. What is causing the battery to die after 5 days? Why did the brand new voltage regulator overheat and fry my system?! Any help or ideas would be very much appreciated.
First, this is way too much for one thread. It really is all over the place. Something like the following order, is my suggestion.

1.sufficient battery that stays charged.

2.starter cranks the engine

3.engine runs.

4.charging system supplies #1.

5.roadworthy.

After you decide what is first, I would unplug the r/r (regulator) and find the color code on the 2 burnt wires. Report back and charge the battery w/the pos cable removed.

edit-do you have a VOM and/or a test light?

Last edited by wmsonta; 07-22-2014 at 10:09 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

So far the one black/white wire leading to the cutoff switch is fried. I have a VOM and have a lot of testing to do tomorrow.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 08:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reekless View Post
So far the one black/white wire leading to the cutoff switch is fried.
The stop/run handlebar switch? There should not be a BK/W wire to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement