Battery not charging - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Battery not charging

So I drained the battery on my bike last week, tried jumpstarting it, but the battery wouldn't hold any charge so it wouldn't stay running. I replaced the battery, and now it'll run for hours once started, but I can only start it ~5 times before the battery dies. I had tested the charging system across the battery when I first put it in fully charged and it was showing 13.8V at 4k RPM so I thought it was good, but today I don't see any change from battery voltage to charging voltage at any RPM.

I tried testing resistance from the stator leads to ground and all of those were open (good sign I think), so I tested resistance on the regulator leads. I got readings of several mega ohms for A1,2,3 to ground and from battery to A1,2,3 and if I'm reading this right that means that the regulator is shot?

To test the voltage on the stator, I'm I reading it correct that I am to disconnect the bullet connectors from the stator (so that the connections are open) and run the bike off of just battery power while testing the voltage on the stator leads? Also, instead of running it off battery, would it be alright to run it off of a 12V power supply (the battery charger I have can supply enough power to turn the starter)?

Edit: I also tested the resistance between the stator leads, every combo came up to ~1 ohm, which according to a diagram I found seems high. I also tested each combo on the r/r, everything was either open or in the mega ohm region except for ground to monitor which came up at 30k ohm. I got the battery charging tonight and hope to fire it up tomorrow morning to test the voltage from the stator. Here's to hoping it's good and my only problem is the regulator.

Last edited by TychoMaudd; 07-22-2014 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Additional info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

So I tested out the stator today and got ~55V on each leg at ~3k rpm so I believe that's good and all I need is a new R/R. I found
Code:
www.roadstercycle.com
which sells a "Super Mosfet Kit FH020AA kit" which looks to be what I need. Does anyone have any experience with them and would that be the proper item to get to replace my R/R?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 09:53 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
The roadcycle kit was the first MOSFET kit to be installed in our bikes... A little pricy but a good product... You can get the r/r cheaper on eBay then by their wiring kit to save some money....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 10:24 AM
2014 KLR 650!

I bought mine on ebay, no wiring kit needed. I believe this is the same.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Regulator-Re...b97f3d&vxp=mtr

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 03:15 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyfoot2001 View Post
I bought mine on ebay, no wiring kit needed. I believe this is the same.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Regulator-Re...b97f3d&vxp=mtr
That's not a MOSFET r/r... Is a standard shunt type r/r... All MOSFET r/rs have 2 connectors, one for the stator and one for the battery

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
That's not a MOSFET r/r... Is a standard shunt type r/r... All MOSFET r/rs have 2 connectors, one for the stator and one for the battery

It's recommended to get a MOSFET R/R, right? Because that one is a lot cheaper than the MOSFET kit, which is tempting, but I don't want to end up running into the same problem again.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

I got my new regulator in, from the site I asked about earlier, and got it all wired up. I'm measuring 14.2-14.3v from idle up to ~6k rpm (didn't push it higher) so I'm thinking that everything is good. Now I just need to make a bracket to mount it on.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 08:17 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TychoMaudd View Post
So I tested out the stator today and got ~55V on each leg at ~3k rpm so I believe that's good and all I need is a new R/R. I found
Code:
www.roadstercycle.com
which sells a "Super Mosfet Kit FH020AA kit" which looks to be what I need. Does anyone have any experience with them and would that be the proper item to get to replace my R/R?
I have the Mosfet 020AA on my bike. Works great. Purchased from Jack at Roadstercycle. Great guy to do business with.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM2001 View Post
I have the Mosfet 020AA on my bike. Works great. Purchased from Jack at Roadstercycle. Great guy to do business with.
Good to know, since I already got it in and wired up! The videos and instructions were perfect, plus only took 2 days to get it in once I ordered it. Now I just need to find a way to securely mount it and see how it works in actual use and not just reading a multimeter.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 09:23 AM
1986 VN750

Garage
I have the same issue with my bike. Is your headlight also intermittent? If so does anyone know if it's due to the RR or do I have yet an additional problem?

Mosfet R/R and relocated
2 wire Mod for the 1986 harness
VN750.com grill cover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement