another one of those Stators - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

another one of those Stators

Hey Gents and occasional Lady,

I've gone through all the trouble shooting I need a new Stator.

I've gone through the verses and found (and printed out for the shop) JR's walk through and the replacement notes.

Because most of the links on those threads are broken or outdated I was wondering where you guys suggest purchasing the parts? I really don't know where to start for electrical parts and the other miscellaneous parts I'll need for the Stator replacement.

There is a local mech where I'm living for the summer who is willing to assist me, or even just let me use the shop and tools and he can jump in to help when I need. So the more of the work I do myself the less he'll be charging me (+1 for small town gearheads).

The bike has 27k miles on it.

Thanks much, sorry to post yet another Stator comment thread but finding relevant threads on this forum are difficult, even with the search function.

'04 Vulcan 750 27k+
My first ride- June 2013 @ 22k miles
Stator replaced 27k

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education"- Mark Twain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 02:29 AM
Ndr

as far as replacement stators go, nearly everyone on here will likely recommended the same to you. Get a rewind done by Tim Parrot. http://www.tpe-usa.com/

Many will also recommend doing the Tuxedo mod if you have the capability as this will allow you to do a stator swap again in the future (if it becomes needed) without having to pull the engine again.

as far as any other specific parts, let us know what you're looking for and I'm sure someone can give some advise.

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 02:32 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
For the Stator, contact Tim at http://www.TPE-USA.com for the R/R, get a MOFSET R/R off of ebay (Shindegen FH001 / 35A / FJR 1300
FH008EB / 40A / BR 600 RR
FH010BA / 50A / ZX-10R
FH012AA / 50A / FJR 1300, R1
FH012BA / 50A / ZX-14R, ZR1400, GTR1400
FH014AA / 50A / CBR 1000 RR
FH016AA / 40A / ZX-6R)
for the gaskets, and ballance dampeners go to ron ayers, or your local MC dealership.
Contact GC Extreeme here on the forums for a Tuxedo Mod Plate, so you wont have to pull the engine a second time if the need ever arise to change your stator again. Ohh and lastly, if you don't already have a AMG Battery, get one.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

I'll follow up on this and let you guys know if I hit any snags, Unfortunately I've already replaced the battery and the R/R while troubleshooting (readings were messes up and it was a "at least lets try" kinda thing).

'04 Vulcan 750 27k+
Stator replaced 27k

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle.

Last edited by kyledk; 07-17-2014 at 01:07 PM. Reason: non-relevant
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 12:59 PM
2014 KLR 650!

PICTURES!

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

I've just ordered the parts! Ron-Ayers was the best price and answered my call instantly. I even figured out the part numbers from the diagrams and the manual I got from you guys on this site .

I'll document with Pictures as soon as I start tearing her apart. I'm ordering the parts ahead of time, and will get under the...um...gas tank...no I take that off..engine frame around the 28th.

I'll post pictures soon as I have 'em!

Thanks!

Edit: I took a picture of the Stator (to send to Tim) and this is what we see, at least the whole thing ain't fried eh?

'04 Vulcan 750 27k+
Stator replaced 27k

Last edited by kyledk; 07-19-2014 at 09:38 PM.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Today I (should) be starting work on it and opening it up completely, I'm just waiting on the Stator from http://www.tpe-usa.com/ I didn't get a tracking number but he said he shipped on monday so fingures crossed its here today.

I'll update with photo's tonight!

'04 Vulcan 750 27k+
Stator replaced 27k

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 12:39 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

You ordered a stator without sending in the old one? I thought you had to send in your old stator to have it rebuilt. I guess he already has a few cores.

I get all my oem parts from cheapcycleparts.com. Been dealing with them for many years.

I decided not to do the Tuxedo mod, even with the engine out. The new rebuilt stator should outlast the rest of the bike.

27,000 miles is not much, IF the bike has been maintained and not abused. I currently have 92,000. I have left mine completely stock mechanically. To me that shows how good the original design was. The parts that tend to fail are mostly poor quality parts. The cam chain tensioners in particular are junk. The metal the driveshaft is made out of is not hard enough, and most splines were never lubed at the factory. IMO anyway, the stator simply did not have the capacity it should have had. But it seems that most Japanese bikes from back in the '70s and '80s had weak stators. You just didn't have to pull the engine to replace them.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
You ordered a stator without sending in the old one? I thought you had to send in your old stator to have it rebuilt. I guess he already has a few cores.

I get all my oem parts from cheapcycleparts.com. Been dealing with them for many years.

I decided not to do the Tuxedo mod, even with the engine out. The new rebuilt stator should outlast the rest of the bike.

27,000 miles is not much, IF the bike has been maintained and not abused. I currently have 92,000. I have left mine completely stock mechanically. To me that shows how good the original design was. The parts that tend to fail are mostly poor quality parts. The cam chain tensioners in particular are junk. The metal the driveshaft is made out of is not hard enough, and most splines were never lubed at the factory. IMO anyway, the stator simply did not have the capacity it should have had. But it seems that most Japanese bikes from back in the '70s and '80s had weak stators. You just didn't have to pull the engine to replace them.
I thought I had to send mine in too, but he said he had some on hand and that I could send mine in after I've installed the new one and it works. I'm just waiting on it, it should arrive today via UPS but he never gave me a tracking number. I'm on a tight schedule too because my car just dropped it's transmission(hopefully it's electrical, don't ask).

I bought it used, but I've put on 4k miles this summer and plan on taking it to 90k or more over it's life. While I'm in the stator I'm also going to have the carbs synced and cleaned, and I've had the rear tire replaced (and therin the splines on the final case should have been taken care of). I've already bought Moly 60 to put on the splines in the bevel front case.

I'll try and get pictures of a step by step as I do the engine removal and such, but I've never done it before so it's not going to be a pro "what I did".

I've read as much as I can find on the forum on the walkthroughs but could always use more advice!

'04 Vulcan 750 27k+
Stator replaced 27k

Last edited by kyledk; 07-28-2014 at 01:52 PM.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 01:58 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyledk View Post
I thought I had to send mine in too, but he said he had some on hand and that I could send mine in after I've installed the new one and it works. I'm just waiting on it, it should arrive today via UPS but he never gave me a tracking number. I'm on a tight schedule too because my car just dropped it's transmission(hopefully it's electrical, don't ask).

I bought it used, but I've put on 4k miles this summer and plan on taking it to 90k or more over it's life. While I'm in the stator I'm also going to have the carbs synced and cleaned, and I've had the rear tire replaced (and therin the splines on the final case should have been taken care of). I've already bought Moly 60 to put on the splines in the bevel front case.

I'll try and get pictures of a step by step as I do the engine removal and such, but I've never done it before so it's not going to be a pro "what I did".

I've read as much as I can find on the forum on the walkthroughs but could always use more advice!
If you are depending on the mechanic replacing your tire has Moly'ed the rear spline....DON'T count on it !
...jmo

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement