old bike sitting 10 years - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

old bike sitting 10 years

I've freed up pistons already but why wont the starter turn over the motor? I've bench tested starter and it seems very strong put fully charged jump pack on bike and still can't get it to turn the motor over even without the spark plugs in. What is going on here? I only know how to repair 2 strokes with kick starters.it needs a lot of work but I'm not wanting to put money into the bike if the motor is no good. Where should I start? Motor does turn over in first gear when you push it backwards. Can't get it in higher gear to make it easier. Any help would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 12:42 AM

The gearbox is such where you can only go into first unless at a certain RPM....dont bother....

In the old days, we used to pull all the plugs, and fill the cyl with diesel fuel or ATF....let it sit a bit (few days)....could be that the cyl walls are just a lil rusty and its causing drag....my 85 sat leanin against a barn outside fer 6 yrs....if you have access to a pneumatic tool...like another said in yer other thread, with plugs out, after soaking, try to manually turn it over and over until it becomes more free.....Im willing to bet its rust/corrosion on the cyl walls.....

If yer lucky, yuou can free all...run it a bit, change the oil, and get a few years...but with rust on the cyl walls, more than likely you'll eventually need a surface hone and at least new rings.....

BTW...remove the carbs too....get some fine oil into there as well....

post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 01:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985-Vulcan700 View Post
Motor does turn over in first gear when you push it backwards. Can't get it in higher gear to make it easier. Any help would be great
Won't turn over forwards?

I would take the plugs out and free the motor up completely, forwards. I am not a fan of rotating an overhead cam engine backwards. Just me.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Ok it's free. When I roll it in neutral and drop it into gear the motor turns over but still won't turn motor over with starter. now i'm wondering does the gear on the starter have to move outwards to engage? How does the starter turn motor over? Could something not be engaging properly?

I have the plugs out while trying to turn it over atf and acetone are in cylinders plus a little pb blaster. idk if that was a good idea or not?

Last edited by 1985-Vulcan700; 07-07-2014 at 07:24 PM.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 08:05 PM
2014 KLR 650!

Agree with wolfie and the starter clutch could be froze and needs the engine turning free so it can be worked a bit. How cool if you get it cranked!

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 08:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ok it's free. When I roll it in neutral and drop it into gear the motor turns over but still won't turn motor over with starter. now i'm wondering does the gear on the starter have to move outwards to engage? How does the starter turn motor over? Could something not be engaging properly?
My advise here is to wait on someone with actual experience. I don't have a clue on a vn 750. 35 yrs ago Kaw used a convoluted idler/sprag affair, that worked pretty well.
Quote:
I have the plugs out while trying to turn it over atf and acetone are in cylinders plus a little pb blaster. idk if that was a good idea or not?
My preference is #1 diesel. I think mine will go into 2nd stopped, not sure.
One thing for sure is a bump to the top.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Bump to top?
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

see I was wanting to know about clutches for starter. I didn't know if this bike had them. also is the starter supposed to kick the spline out like a car starter? If so I don't believe it does that. It just spins fast and strong.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Your speaking Spanish man. I know nothing about the bike. That is why I'm trying to talk with people who do have knowledge of these bikes. Looking for a Vulcan expert or someone who just knows a lot about them. Thank you.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

VERY COOL!!!! I'm hoping to learn a thing or too from some good old folks on this inner web that could maybe help me out on the way to free riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement