Is this normal? Battery - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Angry Is this normal? Battery

I recently upgraded to a AGM battery. I rode it to work, Monday-Friday. It sat untouched till Tuesday morning. It started right up and then died on the way out of my shed. A sharp turn of the wheel to the right sometimes shorts things out. It restarted a second time but then I accidentally killed it again. By the third start the battery was dead. I was determined to ride it to work. Removed the seat, used a portable jump-starter, it started right up, let it idol at 3000 rpm while I removed the jump-starter and reattached the seat. OK, I only have one key so, how do you lock the toolbox with the key in the ignition? Next, I shut it off, locked the toolbox and tried to restart. Of course the battery didn't recharge enough running at 3000 rpm for a couple minuets. Removed the seat, rejump-started, reattached the seat with the toolbox open and gave up, parking the scooter back in the shed. It felt like another Monday.
Questions: How many starts is the battery good for? Should I keep it trickle charged at all times or will this damage the battery?

94 with @ 8500mi
AGM Battery
Willie and Max sm. slant bags
Memphis Shield
Splines lubed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 12:08 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

If fully charged to start with, a new AGM battery should last a whole lot longer than 3 start attempts! Sounds like maybe it's not charging at all. You might want to do the voltmeter test on voltage at the battery at different RPMs. There was a recent post that told how to do the test.

97 VN 750
R&R Relocated
Degoated
Marbled
Ears Shaved/Rejetted
MF/AGM Battery
Irridium Plugs
Spring Solo Seat
32 Ford Model A Tail Light
Custom 2 into 1 Exhaust with 12 inch Glass Pack

Rear bobbed and hard-tailed!
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5385
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 12:19 PM
Giggity!

Garage
Deffinatly not normal, you said turning to the right sometimes shorts the bike. It could also be draining your battery. Correct me if I'm wrong! I'd want to track down the short.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

My round trip to work is about 8 miles with lots of stops and a top speed of about 60 for a very short time. Is it possible this is just too short a time span for the battery to recover from starting.

94 with @ 8500mi
AGM Battery
Memphis Shield
Splines lubed
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 12:40 PM

I'd want to chase down that short. Once that was taken care of, then make sure the bike is charging the battery. Like scoop said, there was a recent post that you will wanty to check out. As far as having your battery damaged by using a trickle charger, not that I've heard of. Technology has changed and the trickle chargers are better as well the batteries. Someone correct me if I'm wrong (don't want to damage my battery either!) but I've not had any problems (thus far) with using a trickle charger on my AGM battery.

-Tim
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 12:59 PM

Sounds like you have more than one issue there. Sharp turns to the right shouldn't short the engine and maybe you have a bad connection or even a broken wire. I suggest you check the ignition switch terminals at least.
A new battery should be good for quite a few tries - I have starting problems and always keep the battery on trickle charge - which will definitely not harm it. Just don't keep the engine churning on and on - fairly short bursts are better..
If your battery is not charging either, then probably the R&R is burning out and you should replace it before it damages the stator. I suggest you get the relocator bracket off Bulldog first and then replace it. The kit is great & comes with everything you need including a set of instructions.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

I really appreciate all of the suggestions. I have been meaning to find and fix the short. Like detectives say, there is no such thing as a coincidence. I just didn't think it was related. Bulldogs bracket is on my list of upgrades. Until I do all of the above I think I'll keep the battery fully charged.

94 with @ 8500mi
AGM Battery
Memphis Shield
Splines lubed
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 01:49 PM

If the short is draining the battery, you will eventually damage it as even the AGM type batteries are not reallly designed for repeatitive deep discharge cycles. It may be your kill switch or ignition switch or some other wire within that area that is causing the problem. I'd recommend finding that problem first and then the charging issue. It may be that the wiring problem is the only problem and that the system is discharging faster than it charges.
I have a 4 mile commute to work with a fair amount of stop and go with a 50-55 mph dash and have had no charging issues even with out of spec RR and stator.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trsm4 View Post
My round trip to work is about 8 miles with lots of stops and a top speed of about 60 for a very short time. Is it possible this is just too short a time span for the battery to recover from starting.
My comute is 8 or 9 miles with some speeds up to 55 (usually under 50). I also go out for lunch during the week which requires 2 more starts in under 10 miles. I have been using my 95 VN750 and have not pluged it in for a few weeks; the battery is an AGM that is at least 3 years old.

About the third week after I got my 1995 VN750, I noticed it also always dies out whenever I make a hard right turn. Lately it has also refused to turn over (like the kill switch was on) but a quick and deliberate off/on of the ignition switch takes care of that (I have a new one to be put on).

I have a Beavis Volt meter on it and I can see that it does charge.

Deuce (Loran Naperville IL)
1995 VN750 (Black w/ 2004 tins - no teal)
2003 VN750
Both have: - F&S Bags & brackets
- Corbin seat w backrest
- Progressive suspension.
- Kury iso goldwing grips
2 1983 V65 Magnas
2 1985 V65 Mangas (1 which is in many parts)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

I have been trying to blame the battery problem on my short trips. I guess my first priority is the short. I think other people have had the right turn short, but I haven't been able to locate the thread.
Thanks Loran and Sky Rider.

94 with @ 8500mi
AGM Battery
Memphis Shield
Splines lubed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement