Corrosion, Leads to Problems - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Corrosion, Leads to Problems

Hi All,

I recently have had a few electrical problems, and after my headlight began to act up, I found corrosion and a broken wire near the rectifier/regulator. The plug going into it had one broken wire, and when I removed it, corrosion had built up and one terminal actually came out of the regulator. I have purchased a used one, but I am worried about the plug. The corrosion ate a good deal of the plastic plug, and that could lead to future problems. My problem is, I have looked for just that plug, but the only way it is available is attached to the entire wiring harness. I am sure nobody else would be willing to sacrifice a whole harness just to sell me this one plug. Any ideas? I think the location right in front of the tire was a poor layout.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 06:50 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Sound like you had the battery drip acid there..you have a MF battery in there now right??

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

That is very possible. I had the battery out several times, to charge it. It was low on acid, so I added water to it, and it ended up being bad. I replaced it with a new one. Maybe when taking it in and out, some acid spilled out of the vent hose from the battery, which exits right down near the regulator. None the less, the plug is in quite poor condition, and I don't know what to do.

Last edited by ineedanewbike; 11-06-2007 at 08:06 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Old Truck Junkie

I have never removed my regulator, so i am going on what it should be like. Can you replace the end of the wires with new blade connectors?? Just be sure to replace them into the same post.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Well, you can keep this from happening again by installing a SEALED MF glass matt battery. (We keep tell'n folks this....)

As for the plug, not sure what you can do other than repair the old one or buy $$$$ a harness.
Bulldog was once looking into offer extensions, you might want to PM him and see if he knows where to get just the plug..

KM

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 08:18 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Well, you can keep this from happening again by installing a SEALED MF glass matt battery. (We keep tell'n folks this....)

As for the plug, not sure what you can do other than repair the old one or buy $$$$ a harness.
Bulldog was once looking into offer extensions, you might want to PM him and see if he knows where to get just the plug..

KM
Can this MF battery be found at the local Auto-zone???

02 honda sabre 1100
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

I'm not sure what kind of battery that is. I have never had trouble with the type I have installed. It was $35, and that isnt that bad. Someone told me that there is a battery out there that is extremely expensive, and that they ran it down and afterwards it would not recharge. I have no clue on this, but I don't think it is a big deal. I don't know what the price difference is, but if its anything more I wouldn't consider it. How many years have they ran the stock type battery. Again, I don't know crap on the topic, just my view...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 08:40 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
Can this MF battery be found at the local Auto-zone???
Dunno....I thnk SEARS carries one, but I got mine from here:
http://tinyurl.com/at63z

Yussa makes one, (they make the sears one I am told)

Most bikes now come with them as standard equipment.

90% of "hot start" problems are cured by using one. The don't leak acid..(even when the bike is on it's side...)
More cranking power and surer starts.

It is THE First and MOST RECCOMENDED aftermarket product for the Vulcan.

READ here:
http://tinyurl.com/3cqdnc

Whatta mean you don't have one????

KM

Last edited by Knifemaker; 11-06-2007 at 08:49 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Old Truck Junkie

So do I go in and say " I want that MF battery for my motocycle." Or is there another name for it?? See, I don't want to get thrown out of the store.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
So do I go in and say " I want that MF battery for my motocycle." Or is there another name for it?? See, I don't want to get thrown out of the store.

If you have not figured it out by yourself...MF simply means "Maintainace Free"

They do make "maintanace free" batterys that are not sealed, so you need to check the sealed battery info at the head of this section to get the proper model numbers.

These batteries use "absorbed glass matt" technology (AGM) which suspends the electrolyte in a "glass matt" ..which works much like a sponge. It "absorbs" all the fluid so none can spill, The battery is sealed so it would not spill anyway. These batteries still need to be charged when not used for long periods of time, but do not lose there charge as quickly as a "wet cell".
I left my battery in my vulcan over the winter and after 4 weeks without charging it , the bike started up.
It is reccomended to use a "smart charger" for these batteries, esp. if you plan on not using the bike for winter. Most of these chargers come with quick connect plugs, that you can route behind a sidecover , so you don't have to remove the seat. As they are "Maintainance Free" once installed you should not have to remove the seat at all. My MF battery was sold with my bike and had been in there for over four years.

KM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement