stator rewinding - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

stator rewinding

I want to rewind my stator and only found general wiring procedure for 3 phase stators on the net. Does anyone have a step by step procedure with pictures that I can follow? I am not sure if it matters what direction each pole gets wound but would appreciate anyone's insight into this process. I plan to use 18 gauge enamaled magnetic wire with 200 centigrade degree temperature tolerance. I am aware this is considered cheap wire but it's worth a try. Hopefully my mosfet regulator will help keep it from frying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 11:25 PM
Dr. Vulcanstein

I have not done this myself, gloryrider has a thread on this that isn't very old that you can search and read through. I don't suggest cheaping out on the wire though, all that time and work to end up where you are now again won't be fun, jmo.

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 12:51 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Thread title glorious electrical issues. I do not recommend winding your stator, it's cheaper to just order a TPE stator with a warranty than to wind your own.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with slim and jada on this one..

while I have not rewound a stator, I have had my fair share of winding of various electrical components..

the ONLY reason I would do it is to say I did...

and to be honest, without the proper winding machinery, I would expect lots of failures during the process (broken insulation, mis-counts on the poles, ect.) not to mention keeping proper tension is a real pain in the south bound end of a north bound mule...

There is more to think of than just the temp rating of the insulation as well.. it has to be capable of withstanding the harsh environment of hot oil, as well as vibration.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 11:10 AM

Check out the link in my signature... it's not easy to do, but definitely a learning experience!

There's pictures of the tension rig I made which helps a ton!

Oh, and DON'T use heat shrink for the insulation... it doesn't hold up to the temperature!

Feel free to give me a call if you have any other specific questions I can help with!

-- Matt
678-577-7606

------------------------------
GloryRider
Atlanta, GA
Current Ride: 1995 Vulcan 88 (1500A9)
Purchased Dec. 2014
approx. 6,800 miles

Previous Bike: 2000 VN750 "Glory"
With homemade stator
Details on stator build here

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul"

"You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime." - Burt Munro
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

i appreciate the feedback. I already have concluded that nearly all the after market stators have a very good chance of failure in shorter time than I desire, but have been using rick's stator until i rewind my own. This stator is not keeping up with demand at idle but seems to keep the system charged and the bike running well. I doubt this stator will hold up and and expecting failure at some not to distant point in time, hence my strong desire to try this. I will post my results.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 07:55 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
TPE is the only stator to use... Tim's stators are at least 20% more efficient than stock, and have warranty. Combined this with a 50Amp MOFSET R/R and you will have more than enough juice to power anything you want.
I am the kind of guy who likes to do every thing my self, and rebuild anything that can be rebuilt.. But there is one thing on our bike I wont rebuild myself.. thats the Stator... There is a lot more going into rewinding a stator than just putting wire onto a spindle. Unless you have the proper tooling getting a good outcome is a slim to nill chance. I have a buddy who professionally rebuilds electrical motors and alternators and even huge AC Generators.. but he wont touch a power sport stator because he doesn't have the proper equipment to guarantee the final product.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

slim, you type too fast... LOL

ok...

1st off, its pretty well understood that TPE's stators are the best out there. worth the $ and time it takes to get one.

2nd. our stock charging system will NOT really begin producing enough power to charge the battery until probably around 2k rpm. this is normal. Aftermarket parts (TPE stator, and most importantly MOSFET R/R) can allow the system to charge at lower rpms.

of course, this all gets thrown out the window if you have a lot of aftermarket electrical load on it. it was marginally spec'ed at the factory, and there is only so much you can do to improve its output significantly

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 08:04 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganteddybear View Post
slim, you type too fast... LOL

ok...

1st off, its pretty well understood that TPE's stators are the best out there. worth the $ and time it takes to get one.

2nd. our stock charging system will NOT really begin producing enough power to charge the battery until probably around 2k rpm. this is normal. Aftermarket parts (TPE stator, and most importantly MOSFET R/R) can allow the system to charge at lower rpms.

of course, this all gets thrown out the window if you have a lot of aftermarket electrical load on it. it was marginally spec'ed at the factory, and there is only so much you can do to improve its output significantly
If you use the 50 Amp MOFSET R/R you should get a full 14.5 Volts at idle, and no change all the way through the rpm range.
As for the second part Teddy Bear...again if you go with the largest R/R you can find you could run any aftermarket accessory you could think of short of a pair of aircraft landing lights or a competition car audio system
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

I agree slim.

stock specs on the charging system is

24A output at 8k rpm, 14V output.

Due to space and size limitations, you can only put so much wire onto the stator.

The stator is what is our limiting factor in the charging circuit. we can improve it some, but there is only so much we can do to it.

I wont get into the state of the actual wiring used in the harness

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement