Electrical Gremlin Help Please - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
1986 VN750

Garage
Red face Electrical Gremlin Help Please

So I took my 86 VN750 out for a ride, rode about 35 minutes and stopped at the bank quick. Started it up again and the battery seemed a tad weak. I noticed that the cooling fan ran about 30 seconds after I turned off the ignition. Is it supposed to do that? Then I rode a few blocks and had to stop again.. (Girlfriend issues). Went to start her up and battery was so weak I had to bump start it. It's a brand new battery that was tested good by a shop. I rode about another 40 minutes and it ran fine. Left it sit for a few hours. Went to start it back up again and it cranked a couple times but again had to bump start it. I got about ten miles and it just died completely. The battery was just dead. Couldnt bump start it at all. I tested the stator and it has no ground and the voltage is good on all three legs. I followed the instructions on here perfectly. I tested the battery voltage when running at about 3000 RPM's and it's about 13.5 volts just where it should be if the R/R is working. So it seems that the charging system is fine.. Now the one thing I did notice is that the battery fully charged with the key off is about 12.5-12.65 Volts which is ok but as soon as I turn the key on (bike not started) the battery voltage drops to below 12 volts. About 11.85-11.95. Is this normal? I cant seem to figure out why the bike just died like that and Im afraid to ride it now.Ive cleaned all connections and searched through the wiring looking for grounds, etc... Any ideas would be helpfull. It all seems to be working just fine and Ive ridden it plenty and never had that problem before.

Mosfet R/R and relocated
2 wire Mod for the 1986 harness
VN750.com grill cover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 11:13 PM
Banned

I would load test the battery.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 11:21 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmsonta View Post
I would load test the battery.
X2, 13.5 is a little low @ 3000 rpm, 14.6 is more common unless the battery is partially discharged.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
1986 VN750

Garage
I had the battery load tested at a shop and they say its fine. Also, its difiicult to tell definitively what RPM the bike is at because the tach doesnt work... Im not sure what to do from here. The battery is a yuasa and I bought it brand new like 2 months ago..

Mosfet R/R and relocated
VN750.com grill cover
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 09:05 AM
Banned

Sounds like the bat is ok. Charging systems sounds low to me, but I do not know. I would check it. The manual states, 14-15v @ 4k rpms. I believe there is a comprehensive test in the verses. This would be my next step.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 09:20 AM
NEVER TO OLD TO RIDE

sounds like the charging system has a loose connection. unplug the connector from the regulator and check the connector and pins for burnt marks or corrision. also check the stator harness and connections same way. I installed a voltage gauge on mine so I can monitor battery and charging voltage.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 09:24 AM
Chasin' the blacktop

A simple thing to check would be your battery, R/R and starter connections but I agree with wmsonta, system voltage is a bit low which would cause both the hard starts and the bike dying.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
1986 VN750

Garage
Other than the fact that I cant verify the RPM's due to the tach not working, the system voltage does seem low as you guys are saying. Ive seen a few posts on here about the headlight relay sucking the life out of system voltage and to reroute the blue wire to bypass the relay. Im gonna try that tonight and see if it makes a serious change. I will also look into adding a V meter.. Cant be too careful with a 1986 bike...

Mosfet R/R and relocated
VN750.com grill cover
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
1986 VN750

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by V750_outlaw View Post
sounds like the charging system has a loose connection. unplug the connector from the regulator and check the connector and pins for burnt marks or corrision. also check the stator harness and connections same way. I installed a voltage gauge on mine so I can monitor battery and charging voltage.
I have already gone through all the wiring and connections. Cleaned and checked for bad insulation. Plugs are all spotless and tight, no broken wires etc...One thing though is that the stator test procedure on here says that there should be bullet connectors on the 3 yellow wires from the stator before they plug into the R/R. Mine does not have these. The wires come out of the motor and go back into the harness then from there right to the R/R connector. Is this correct for an 86???

Mosfet R/R and relocated
VN750.com grill cover
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 04:01 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesutch View Post
I have already gone through all the wiring and connections. Cleaned and checked for bad insulation. Plugs are all spotless and tight, no broken wires etc...One thing though is that the stator test procedure on here says that there should be bullet connectors on the 3 yellow wires from the stator before they plug into the R/R. Mine does not have these. The wires come out of the motor and go back into the harness then from there right to the R/R connector. Is this correct for an 86???
Some one could have soldered the writes together as that used to be common practice... But I think you are just overlooking the connectors... Physically fallow the writes out of the stator cover and back to the r/r... The bullet connectors should be located just in front of the left side cover

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement