Special Kind of Dead Electric - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Special Kind of Dead Electric

95' VN750 American
So recently posted about some wiring questions about the IC's but was able to figure them out. But, currently all i have left is to Add oil after replacing a gasket, install carbeurator, install fuel tank, finish assembly of last cooling system hoses and fill cooling system, and air system. Other than that i have rewired and connected everything up including a new wiring harness which i have inspected for any nicks/exposed wires.
I have been checking for a few days turning the key over to test my new lights or even have the speedometer light up. But nothing, even when i take the turn signal switch to left/right the audible click from the relay isn't heard
ive checked the battery and its at a steady 13vdc and i have a maintainer that is keeping it charged.
Request any ideas im kind of stumped at the moment to what is wrong
i mean maybe the oil pressure switch is causing it to short straight to ground but i do not know.
If anyone would like me to take any test point with my multimeter or gather any data im willing too.
im mostly looking for ideas what i could be doing wrong or if someone has an idea of what would cause it to be completely dead electric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 04:37 PM
Banned

The following is what I would do to start-

W/key off, check for power at the main fuse. If yes-

Check for power on the W (white) wire at the ignition switch, key off. If yes-

Pull a R wire off one ign coil and check for power, or power at Y/R on the starter relay. Key on, starter button pushed.

Bring the answers back here.

edit- all your fuses are good, right?

Last edited by wmsonta; 06-24-2014 at 05:04 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

So with key off main fuse I'm assuming is the 30 fuse bottom right 12.03 vpc
White wire on ignition switch 12.09
IC red 12.04
Y/R starter with and with out start button and either configuration of the run/off button reads 12.01
And all fuses are good

Last edited by Frisby; 06-27-2014 at 09:43 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 10:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisby View Post
Y/R starter with and with out start button and either configuration of the run/off button reads 12.01
You are talking about the Y/R wire plugged into the starter relay, right? If so, unplug it until we find why it has power. Once unplugged test to see if the key turns it off/on. If the key controls it, we will move to the right handlebar controls connector. Leave it disconnected.

I wonder why the starter was not engaged? Might as well go ahead and jump across the two large cables on the solenoid and see if it cranks. Make sure it is in neutral.

Last edited by wmsonta; 06-27-2014 at 10:27 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 08:15 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmsonta View Post
You are talking about the Y/R wire plugged into the starter relay, right? If so, unplug it until we find why it has power. Once unplugged test to see if the key turns it off/on. If the key controls it, we will move to the right handlebar controls connector. Leave it disconnected.

I wonder why the starter was not engaged? Might as well go ahead and jump across the two large cables on the solenoid and see if it cranks. Make sure it is in neutral.
well looking at the diagrams the only way Y/R wire has power... the starter button is making constant contact, or his IC is backfeeding power (which it shouldn't do because of its diodes, but still possible).
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 08:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
well looking at the diagrams the only way Y/R wire has power... the starter button is making constant contact, or his IC is backfeeding power (which it shouldn't do because of its diodes, but still possible).
Yes, except for one thing. If I read his post correctly, the Y/R wire has power with the off/run in either position. This powers the start button.

We are on the same page.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 08:57 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
for constant on... key on or off, it has to be backfeeding through the ic
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the ideas ill be looking into it some more today my plan is to finish everything up thise weekend and ill look into the y/r wire again and make sure of my indications.
also my rear Ignition Coil may be wired backwards i was having trouble finding a picture to show which lead goes to which point on the IC's and the picture i did find had the IC positioned differently physically from the orientation on my model so that maybe it if someone could send me a picture of there IC's on a 95' 750 American version it might Help clarify that

Last edited by Frisby; 07-04-2014 at 08:20 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 10:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisby View Post
Thank you for the ideas ill be looking into it some more today my plan is to finish everything up thise weekend and ill look into the y/r wire again and make sure of my indications.
also my rear Ignition Coil may be wired backwards i was having trouble finding a picture to show which lead goes to which point on the IC's and the picture i did find had the IC positioned differently physically from the orientation on my model so that maybe it if someone could send me a picture of there IC's on a 95' 750 American version it might Help clarify that
Not sure of this but, I don't believe it matters.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 01:06 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmsonta View Post
Not sure of this but, I don't believe it matters.
....that's how I know it !

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement