plug wires? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

plug wires?

So I need to plug wires for my '94...when I went to look up the part numbers, I found that the wire, end caps, connectors, etc. are all listed under separate part numbers. Do I have to order them all separate and assemble them? Or is there a "unified" part number, that I'm missing somehow?

Good gravy, I feel stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 09:56 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Re: plug wires?

If you want OEM, I don't think there is a "kit" and it would require you to buy the coils costing $$$. See link below or maybe look in the yahoo files for a later writeup than this.

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308

Deuce (Loran Naperville IL)
1995 VN750 (Black w/ 2004 tins - no teal)
2003 VN750
Both have: - F&S Bags & brackets
- Corbin seat w backrest
- Progressive suspension.
- Kury iso goldwing grips
2 1983 V65 Magnas
2 1985 V65 Mangas (1 which is in many parts)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

<sigh> Ya know, I'm starting to regrett choosing the VN750. I know it's a reliable long lasting bike but the things that make it reliable and long lasting also make parts expensive and difficult to get.

Example 1: My stator wire gasket was leaking...I go to the Kawasaki parts place...they tell me to get a new gasket, I have to order a whole new stator...over $300 with markup and tax. So I got some high temp RTV and temp fixed it. Why do I have to replace a $300 part to replace what should be a $5 gasket?

Example 2: I need a new clutch release shaft bushing (oil leak)...only cost $11 but took almost a month to get it. (apparently it had to get shipped from Japan, which means waiting for a "big enough" order)

Example 3: These plug wires....I have to order the separate parts and assemble them? I can't even find an aftermarket company that makes kits.

I know, I know...this is the life of motorcycling...but it's very frustrating. Maybe I should buy a harley, at least I won't have to wait for parts to get shipped from Japan.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 08:00 AM
Search Goddess

Guess again on that Harley. They might not get shipped from just Japan, but also Taiwan, Korea..etc..
And chances are you will be waiting more often for parts/repairs. (My sister-in-law got a new anniversary Sportster.. it blew 3 head gaskets within 6000 miles. It was in the shop more than it was on the road). And you think Harley parts are cheap???
Gaskets you can make yourself, bushings, once you get the specs can be gotten from other sources, and plug wires can be made with very reasonable high quality parts (Did you know some bikes HAVE to replace the coils because the plug wires are part of the coil?)

Nope, I'll stick with my VN750 and enjoy the additional ride time, plus relatively low maintenance.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

I know, Dianna. Like I said, I'm just frustrated because it seems like nothing is easy.

I don't know why I thought it would be.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 10:01 PM
Search Goddess

*L* I can tell you. It was probably a salesman or dealer making the bike sound like it was maintainence free. Big difference between maintenance free and low maintenance.
I like to look at it this way.. each gasket I cut myself, each plug wire I put together from parts myself , each way of figuring out how to make some accessory from another bike work on mine.. just makes the bike even more mine.
It's not a trailer queen and it's not handed off to some mechanic. I'm not rich and even if I were I'd still want to work on my bike. that way I know what was done when and know when the last time that bolt was torqued and to the right specs. I think it increases the chances of me getting home from a ride too.
Good news is that generally if you keep up on the regular maintenance, the heavy type stuff will more than likely find an easier target.
I do agree with you about the shame of the dealer not having parts on hand. I tend to avoid them and use alternate sources through online and references from fellow riders.
Ron Ayers has the clutch bushing

Part Number: 92028-178
Description: BUSHING,CLUTCH
Price: $10.68

BTW.. Bike Bandit does have a universal wire set
Item: Accel® Universal Fit Wire Set
Price: $41.99
Description:
8.8mm performance wire set. Graphite RF1 suppression core with 90° spark plug boots for dual plug heads. Fits any motor with 4 spark plugs.

Search under Home - Performance/Replacement Parts - Electrical - Spark Plug Wires - Universal Fit Wire Set
at http://www.bikebandit.com/

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

cool dianna, thanks!

Noone "sold" me on the VN750...I did my research and chose it on my own. I have noone to blame but myself if my choice was poor.

Anyway, the bike is in good shape generally and runs fine but it's at 22K miles and I'm working on a list of stuff that needs maintenance/replacement. Not even thinking modifications yet, just getting it back to the operating level I like my machinery at (near 100%). So, new plugs and wires is next on the list...after that is new air filters and fuel lines...gotta get a new rear tire this spring so I'm going to do the spline lube while the wheel is off...fresh fork oil this spring too. New headlight...the list goes on.

That's how it goes when you buy used, I guess. Thanks again for the point in the right direction.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 05:54 AM

Smile Re: plug wires?

Most, if not all, of the items that you list as needing attention are subject to "normal wear and tear." You will be really hard pressed to find any bike that is not subject to routine maintenance.

Ratty

Neal/Ratty
2003 VN750–the HellBat
VROC 12206
GAVROC 0132
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 07:47 PM
Forum Faciliator

Here is the plug info I used when I replaced my plugs. I used 8mm wire which was a bit tough to get into the coils, but dielectric grease made it easier.

For spark plugs..
NGK DP7EA-9
Thats what the book calls for.
Gap is .8~.9mm or .032in~.036in

Better but more expensive plugs:
NGK Iridium plugs
DPR7EIX-9 4 each $7.00 each

http://www.chaparral-racing.com

RB
This information was posted by Joe Argo.

You should consider buying NGK plug ends if you haven't already. They are great looking and my directions are based on using them.

Dennis Kirk:
[email protected] or 1-800-328-9280

2 Part# 20306 - XD05F Spark Plug Cap $3.30 a piece.
2 Part# 20789 - NGK Spark Plug Cap/LD05FP $4.80 a piece.

Here are the wire lengths you will need:

2 x 11.5" long
1 x 14.5" long
1 x 20.0" long

60.0" inches of new wire will be more than enough for the project with some spare. (note: Joe used yellow wire here)

I cut my wire with a sharp scissors and stripped off the yellow insulation so that the wire slipped into the coil easily. If you can get it to slip into the coil with the yellow intact, that's even better. Take the rubber "O" looking thing along with it's plastic cap (if intact) and use them on this new wire. I had to squeeze the wire into these "O" shaped holders on the coil end with a very small screwdriver. (RB: I tapered the ends of the wire a bit and used dielectric grease an twisted the "O" shaped holders on.) I pushed the "O" onto the wire as far as I could (about 1/10 of an inch) and then "stuffed" the yellow insulation under the "O" thing. This "O" thing holds the wire in place along with the cap that screws onto the coil. Obviously, put the wire all the way into the coil with about 1/8th inch of room between the "O" thing and the edge of the coil. Then use the screw cap to tighten the wire down and into the coil.

The plug ends "screw" onto the wire if you buy the NGK I told you about. Just make sure you have the proper parts at hand and already slid up the wire before you do this or you will have to unscrew the ends and start over.

The "short" ends have a tighter rubber seal that is a pain in the tuckus. Be prepared to work that baby on by hand for a bit.
(RB: Again Dielectric Grease to the rescue)

Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com
Northern, NJ
Ask me about "The Ride"
http://www.youthelate.com/the_ride.htm

Red Baron
Binghamton, NY
Alright Already, Lets Ride!!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Well, for future reference. That universal set of wires on bikebandit doesn't come with plug ends long enough for the VN750. The left fwd and right rear plugs require a longer (and stiffer) plug boot than comes with the kit...so I have to order those separately....GRRR!

Edit/update:

Ok...got the new plug caps and finished up the New plugs and wires installation today. Started up first crank, so I must have done it right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement