she's been sitting a while and now... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

she's been sitting a while and now...

well several months in the elements obviously not good.

having a friend take a look at it... maybe also not good (although he is a mechanic)

anyhow. after sitting she wouldnt start. good batt, turn the key, press the go switch and just a click in the starter solenoid (little round brass colored thing about the size of a film canister - in case its not the solenoid. )

i could hot jump her (black cable to ground and red to starter) and she'd turn over. wouldnt start, but would turn over.

i had no spark. so after much reading here, i remove all the contacts, clean them and reattach. hot jump her and wala! spark. so i head onto the next. seems to be getting fuel but wont start. added some sea foam to the gas (worked on my sv650) and nothing. tried starter fluid and bam! backfire and the air filters catch fire.

no big deal, needed new ones anyhow. =/ . so now i try again and we've lost spark once again.

any ideas? there are 2 wires from the harness that arent plugged into anything - a white with blue stripes and a yellow with black stripes. i canna see where they would go (they both end in the female 2 prong circular connectors)

oh. and now the headlight is out. geez. i did make a new seat though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 03:45 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Are they back by your igniter box? If so, I think those are just "extras" for any accessories you may add (not a good idea on these bikes, though - charging system is delicate).

See my post to the thread of the other person whose bike wouldn't start (you'd posted in with the same problem). There's just a few other things you might want to check that I listed.

C
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

thanks man! got it goin just now. running pretty well for it having sat so long.

the wires im talkin about are behind the batt box on the right side (if you're sittin on the bike)

turns out the reason i lost spark.... ahem... when she caught fire i hit the engine stop button... and forgot to turn it back on.

anyhow, running fine now but i still need to "hot wire" the starter. am i correct in assuming the starter solenoid (the brass film canister that connects to the positive cable on the batt) needs to be replaced? it just clicks when i hit the go button. i cleaned both contacts well. perhaps i need to clean the starter side as well.

plus, a new issue. the light, VERY dim. when i rev the engine... it becomes REALLLY dim. as in its losing power for some reason.

thanks man!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 07:52 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Check all your main connections from bat to grounds and to the starter.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

they all were removed and cleaned today (file/wire brush and contact cleaner)

something else to try?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 07:32 AM

Those are indeed the spares, so you should be fine. You do need to replace the solenoid if you burned it out. I may have an extra good one - as in, "I have an extra one, that may be good - need to test it" versus "I have one that's extra-specially-good!" I can test it when I get home this evening - I'll PM you.

C
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

ordered a new starter solenoid yesterday, hopefully it'll be here this sat.

onto the other problem:

any idea why the headlight dims when i rev the engine?

also, what is that heatsync lookin thing under the batt compartment? looks like mine got hit with a notsohealthy dose of battery acid in its past life and the plastic connection is a bit worse for wear. cracking to be specific.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaere View Post
ordered a new starter solenoid yesterday, hopefully it'll be here this sat.

onto the other problem:

any idea why the headlight dims when i rev the engine?

also, what is that heatsync lookin thing under the batt compartment? looks like mine got hit with a notsohealthy dose of battery acid in its past life and the plastic connection is a bit worse for wear. cracking to be specific.
That is your R/R ...or voltage regulator...likely the reason your headlights dim ..You need to replace it before it damages your stator.....

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 08:44 PM

Ditto..... That is your R/R your best bet is to pull the wires on it and clean them to make sure that they are doing what they should be doing.. Then after the clean and reconnect test your voltage output at the battery. If it does not come up to spec then also check stator output. One or both may need some attention.

Note: I would not run it long until you check them out... if it is only the R/R and you run it long enough you might take out your stator and that is an engine pull!

1980 440LTD
1976 KZ900
1995 VN750 19,500 miles ( start of '08 season ) All mine!
Can't have too many Kaws!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

engine pull? ewww.

how do i know if the R/R is bad?

the batt is brand new. so what should i be testing and whats the reading i should be getting?

Last edited by skaere; 10-26-2007 at 10:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement