Whats could cause this? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Whats could cause this?

I decide to go for a ride today (beautiful day). Bike is purring like a kitten and decide I need to fill up with gas before I get to far along. I fill the tank and start the engine... POW!!.. loud backfire. It's never done that before and I really didn't think to much of it. I take off and start to pull onto the interstate when the bike starts to cut out. YIKES..bad place to lose power. Anyway I pull over because the bike is fixing to quit running. No ignition light, neutral light, nothing, no electrics. Turn off the ignition and let the bike sit for a couple of minutes, turn the key back on and it starts right up. Drive for about 2 blocks on the shoulder of the interstate and it quits again. I push it about 2 blocks to get it off the road into another gas station. Again I let it sit, take the seat off and check the battery connections, fine. Turn the ignition on once again and it fires right up. I've got my fingers crossed that it will at least run until I can get it back to the house. I take it easy for a few blocks, kinda feeling it out and it keeps running fine. I get a little confidence and decide to go ahead with my ride, no more problems. Does anyone have a clue as to what would cause this?

Oh yeah, as the bike was starting to die the tach was going wild. I don't know if this was a fuel problem or I'm starting to have some sort of electrical issue.

If anyone has experienced this with your bike I'd really like to hear what your problem was.

Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 08:05 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Think I heard of this before and it turned out to be dirty contacts in the ignition switch. Some have also said not to have a jumble of keys in your ignition but just the single bike key, as the weight of the other keys effects the the strength of the connections. I'd try cleaning it out and checking all your connections from the battery and ground to the wires in the headlight shell.
Am assuming you have a MF AGM type battery right?

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Think I heard of this before and it turned out to be dirty contacts in the ignition switch. Some have also said not to have a jumble of keys in your ignition but just the single bike key, as the weight of the other keys effects the the strength of the connections. I'd try cleaning it out and checking all your connections from the battery and ground to the wires in the headlight shell.
Am assuming you have a MF AGM type battery right?

KM
I have only the single bike key in the ignition, no extra keys at all. I believe you may be onto something about the dirty contacts. I'll take a look and see if the contacts are dirty or there is a loose connection somewhere. Thanks for your reply, you've been a big help.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 10:52 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Mine did this a few times when new. Took her back to the Kaw dealeer and they found a stretched wiring harness on the ignition switch. Replaced it and it has been fine since then. Take off the neck covers and wiggle the wires in the harness, also try cranking the bars full left and right. If if sputters or dies figure on pulling the switch and harness for further troubleshooting. according to my dealer this is not an uncommon problen for the 750.

Rckmtn
Dennis Huff
Cheyenne, Wy.
05 VN 750
KURYAKYN grips, helmet locks, and highway pegs
Spitfire windshield
Saddleman saddlebags/sissybar bag
Highwayman gelseat with Protac backrest
self canx turnsignals
Diamondstar headlight modulator
Jardine 2 into 2
MCC turn signal relocator and floorboards
Luggage rack
Extended passenger backrest
KURYAKYN LED voltmeter
Custom tank bra with analog clock
Snider paint protector on tank side
130 DB horns
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 12:51 PM
Giggity!

Garage
I had the loosing power & jumping tack (no backfire) a couple of weeks ago actually. It turned out to be simple for me. Loose battery connection. Of all the bolts I check I never thought of that one coming loose. Also If it's nice and snug take off the leads to the battery and clean them real good. My jeep was acting up and it turned out to be corrosion on the battery posts. I guess even maintenance free batteries should have a little maintenance! lol
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 10:10 PM
Now what

I thought I had gotten bad gas because the bike started to run rough, tachometer started pegging pass the red zone and dropping to nothing. Then a loud back fire and she died. My problem was a loose ground cable on the battery. Tightened it up and away we went.

'04 750A- and loving it!
VROC 13864
Using a Purlator One PL14610
"Sixth gear? I don't need no stinkin sixth gear!"
If someone throws you under the bus-remember to tuck and roll
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
I thought I had gotten bad gas because the bike started to run rough, tachometer started pegging pass the red zone and dropping to nothing. Then a loud back fire and she died. My problem was a loose ground cable on the battery. Tightened it up and away we went.
Bad gas was my initial thought also. I checked and couldn't find any loose connections anywhere. I went for about a 75 mile ride today and the bike ran great.

Is it possible that one or both of the carbs flooded when I started the bike (causing the backfire) and as I was pouring the coal to it to get up speed some sort of sensor shut the engine down. Sorta like the KILL ENGINE switch would operate? I know this sounds kinda nuts but is it a possibility? It just seems odd that this happened right after I filled the tank with gas.

Anyway I hope it doesn't happen again as I'm sure some of you know it's no fun being stranded with a bike that won't run.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 10:57 PM
Basketcase

When I first got basketcase running I had the same problem. Check the 30 amp fuse connection in the fuse box. Mine was loose so I would lose power to the coils. Check it out, you might get lucky

shaved
jetted
coastered
carb cleaned
splines lubed
8k on the clock
leaking petcock
leaking boots
one throttle cable
no front brakes
headlight inop
but runs!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newvn750owner View Post
When I first got basketcase running I had the same problem. Check the 30 amp fuse connection in the fuse box. Mine was loose so I would lose power to the coils. Check it out, you might get lucky
Will do,
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 07:56 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

If your Tach needle was jumping around, and it is cutting out, it is definitely your ignition switch. I had the very same problem about four years ago and as it only gets worse, I had my ignition switch replaced.

Stevie D.
Chicago
Sponsored Links
Advertisement