Too Much of a Good Thing? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Too Much of a Good Thing?

I am usually disappointed with the results of working on my 1992 VN750. It usually takes me several tries to finally fix something.

When riding at night, I would often see my headlight go dim when I came to a stop. I tried taking voltage readings at the battery with the engine running and could not get a reading much over 13.3 volts.

I had read how important it is to keep electrical contacts clean, so I went to Radio Shack to get contact cleaner. I got a can of Control / Contact Cleaner & Lubricant (64-4315). I cleaned the three connectors leading from the stator and the plug into the regulator. I also sprayed the two connections into the junction (fuse) box. Everything seemed a little oily. I wiped off some of the excess and plugged everything back together.

I started the bike using partial choke, so it was idling around 2500 RPM. I tested the voltage at the battery and saw 17.8 volts! I panicked and shut everything down. Isn't that too much? What's up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 09:26 PM
Old Truck Junkie

I ran across that problem with my old 60 chevy p/u. I was 20 miles from home during the day in a hot hot day. I could not just shut down as you did, good move. I had to run my lights, heater fan to keep the voltage down to about 14 to 15 volts. Anyways, the regulator had gone bad in my alternator. I have done a generator to alternator change on the old truck. Your regular may have gone bad. You may try your connections again first.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 09:37 PM

When at idle, the bike is not charging the battery. Your headlight will dim. Bring the idle up to 1500 and the battery will get a charge and the headlight will brighten. Normal.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubline View Post
When at idle, the bike is not charging the battery. Your headlight will dim. Bring the idle up to 1500 and the battery will get a charge and the headlight will brighten. Normal.
Yes it is normal for the light to brighten, but not at 18 volts as he read on his meter.

02 honda sabre 1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement