Too Much of a Good Thing?
I am usually disappointed with the results of working on my 1992 VN750. It usually takes me several tries to finally fix something.
When riding at night, I would often see my headlight go dim when I came to a stop. I tried taking voltage readings at the battery with the engine running and could not get a reading much over 13.3 volts.
I had read how important it is to keep electrical contacts clean, so I went to Radio Shack to get contact cleaner. I got a can of Control / Contact Cleaner & Lubricant (64-4315). I cleaned the three connectors leading from the stator and the plug into the regulator. I also sprayed the two connections into the junction (fuse) box. Everything seemed a little oily. I wiped off some of the excess and plugged everything back together.
I started the bike using partial choke, so it was idling around 2500 RPM. I tested the voltage at the battery and saw 17.8 volts! I panicked and shut everything down. Isn't that too much? What's up?