Guide to rebuilding starter? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Guide to rebuilding starter?

I ordered a starter rebuild kit that will be delivered later today. I'm not sure what kind of documentation it comes with, or how self explanatory the process is.. is there anything on the forums or elsewhere that documents the rebuild process? I've done a search, but am coming up empty handed. Aside from draining the oil first, I'm not seeing much info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Well, got the kit today. Everything went well at first, drained the oil, unbolted the starter and pulled it off without incident. Cleaned it off and disassembled. The first problem was getting the old bearing out, it's in there extremely tight. Unfortunately ended up breaking it when getting it out. No big deal, the kit includes a replacement.

Second problem were the brushes.. two of them did not fit comfortably into the slot/sleeve where the coil spring is. Again, not a big deal, I sanded them down lightly until they fit. After fighting to get all four brushes into place to slide things back into place, I went to go put the other cover on... and it wouldn't fit.

Turns out the bearings provided are ever so slightly too small. The kit actually included two bearings, one that is too big to fit into the cover housing, and fits loosely over the shaft. And another that slides easily into the cover, but doesn't fit the shaft. The original bearing is right in the middle as far as sizing goes..

I'm going to contact the seller on eBay, but even if they ship me the correct bearing I'm without a bike until it arrives.. How can I tell what size bearing this is, and where can I buy something like this locally?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Replying to my reply, because why not?

Got everything back together. Took my dremel to the inside of the end case and shaved about half a millimeter off all around. Bearing fit after that. Put it back on the bike, filled her up with oil and she came to life on the first crank with no effort.

Warned her up for a good ten minutes and shut it down. Waited ten seconds and tried to start back up - this is usually where I end up endlessly cranking until my battery runs down...not this time, started up first crank again!

Finally I went for a ride, couple miles to get things really warned up. Got home, shut down, started right back up first crank! I think I can safely say my hot start problem is completely gone.

'92 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

Mods:
Rattle-can high gloss black paint job
Frame, engine, Headers/exhaust painted satin black
Ears shaved, K&N pod filters
TPE Stator, MOSFET R/R, Magna Power AGM battery
Pickup Coil mod
New mirrors, grips, cables
VN900 seat
Straight pipes with 8" baffles

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 09:49 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagaku View Post
Replying to my reply, because why not?

Got everything back together. Took my dremel to the inside of the end case and shaved about half a millimeter off all around. Bearing fit after that. Put it back on the bike, filled her up with oil and she came to life on the first crank with no effort.

Warned her up for a good ten minutes and shut it down. Waited ten seconds and tried to start back up - this is usually where I end up endlessly cranking until my battery runs down...not this time, started up first crank again!

Finally I went for a ride, couple miles to get things really warned up. Got home, shut down, started right back up first crank! I think I can safely say my hot start problem is completely gone.
Congrat's ...this thread i learned starters can be a cause of hot start issues. Thanks

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!

Last edited by WilliamTech; 06-06-2014 at 10:03 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 10:20 PM
Banned

I love it.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 09:06 PM
New to Cruisers

My bike won't start with a full charge. Turns over all it wants but no start. Might try to do a starter rebuil instead of ordering a new one. How big of a job was it?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 09:44 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwall89 View Post
My bike won't start with a full charge. Turns over all it wants but no start. Might try to do a starter rebuil instead of ordering a new one. How big of a job was it?
So your engine turns over at stored but won't start... I doubt it's a starter issue. Sounds more like your ignition coils are heading south.
Try the coil relay mod

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 10:16 PM
New to Cruisers

Well a buddy told me to check the fuel delivery and I'm not getting and fuel to the carb
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 10:17 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
so check out Phantom Out Of Gas Syndrome (POOGS)...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 10:17 PM
New to Cruisers

Just checked that by the way lol. I know that's not associated with the starter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement