PIAA XT-X H4 bulb - any reviews??? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Growling at the World...

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog485
PIAA XT-X H4 bulb - any reviews???

I just won a PIAA H4 GT-X (60/55W=135/125W) bulb at a silent auction at a open house at a local bike shop. From what I can gather, this is a $49.99 bulb on the PIAA website (See the bulb on the PIAA website here). I won it for $2.00 (yes - two dollars) and am figuring I want to try it. I've heard real good things about PIAA products and the current 80/120W set-up that I'm running with the rainbow strobe filter is causing cars to pull over thinking I'm a cop. The filter gives the bulb a red/yellow/blue glow and the bulb is flashing with the headlight modulator. I'm looking at running this bulb without the rainbow strobe filter.

So, has anybody heard anything about this bulb? For $2.00 I could not go wrong...

The Bulb:

For the FYI on the Rainbow Strobe bulb filter, Click here...
For the record, I like it because it causes cars to look at the bike to see what the hell it is and that extra attention along with the modulator causes them to see me and not pull out in front of me. But I feel that it reduces my headlight brightness on the road which gives me some blind spots on the road. The website says that this doesn't happen, but I disagree.
Here is a picture of it:

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
http://www.bulldogsbike.com
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 26,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 ~ Black Betty ~ 34,999.7 miles
VROC ~v~ 485
McHenry County Road Pirates
Chicagoland, IL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Growling at the World...

Well, I took the 100/80W bulb out of the Nomad along with the rainbow strobe filter and replaced them with the PIAA bulb. Took it for a ride at 9pm and here are my impressions...
I'm impressed. The light is clear and crisp. Th claim that this 60/55W bulb is as bright as a 135/125W is pretty close to accurate. The whole road is lit up by a bright white light when the high beam is on and the low beam is a light purple color in the housing but still shows up pretty good at night. During the day, the modulator makes this bulb a good attention getter.
As I said, I'm impressed. But this uber-white light sure makes my spots look dingy yellow. I'll have to look into finding whiter light bulbs for the spots.
For a amperage challenged bike like the VN750, I would recommned this PIAA bulb rather then upping the wattage with a higher watt bulb. For a bike with a clear plastic headlight lens like my Nomad, the bulb is nothing short of awesome.
I was skepical on the claims on this bulb's package and website, but right now I'm a believer... I'll have to figure out how to get another one for my VN750 without paying the huge retail price...

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 26,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
VROC ~v~ 485
Chicagoland, IL

Last edited by bulldog485; 09-22-2007 at 11:30 PM. Reason: because I can...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 05:30 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Sound like you found the deal of the month there!! Good job!

And your "Because I can" reason... LMAO!!

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 11:13 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Ebay has 2 bulbs for $60. I am in a bid for 1 bulb $15 with shipping.

Rckmtn
Dennis Huff
Cheyenne, Wy.
05 VN 750
KURYAKYN grips, helmet locks, and highway pegs
Spitfire windshield
Saddleman saddlebags/sissybar bag
Highwayman gelseat with Protac backrest
self canx turnsignals
Diamondstar headlight modulator
Jardine 2 into 2
MCC turn signal relocator and floorboards
Luggage rack
Extended passenger backrest
KURYAKYN LED voltmeter
Custom tank bra with analog clock
Snider paint protector on tank side
130 DB horns
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 07:17 AM

How does these PIAA compare to the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs.

04 VN 750
Pretty much stock for now...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Growling at the World...

My friend Bill has a Silverstar bulb in his Yamaha Royal Star and he likes it. I was thinking of putting Silverstar's in my Kia Optima and while asking for opinions at the Auto Zone near my house, one employee had good things to say and one had bad, so I don't know.

I do know that the Silverstar's don't have the same dual color feature that the PIAA bulb I have does.

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
VROC ~v~ 485
Chicagoland, IL
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 04:19 PM

I have been using Silvestar in my cars for a couple of years now and won't go back to regular halogens.. They are rated same as OE bulbs and do not put out any more heat than the OE bulbs.. However one drawback is they burnout every 6- 9 months.. Actually there are 2 version of our cars Silverstar and Silverstar Ultra... the Ultra is supposed to be longer last ing and which it seems it is because the current set of ultra on my Odyssey has been on longer than any Silverstar was.(hope I din't jinx myself by saying that, I hate to change bulbs)

Anyway for out motorcycles the bulb only comes in Silverstar version. there is no ultra out there yet !!!

04 VN 750
Pretty much stock for now...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 08:32 AM
Benjammin'

Do any of these bulbs use less current than our OEM bulbs? By using any of these, can we gain a little more relief on our electrical systems, since they are on all the time?

Ben-
SW Ohio

'02 VN750
Pipes drilled
Spline lubed
R/R relocated
AGM batteried
Iridium equipped
LED tail lighted
8000-ish miled
Soon to be MCCTed

Lovin Life.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Growling at the World...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSkaggs513 View Post
Do any of these bulbs use less current than our OEM bulbs? By using any of these, can we gain a little more relief on our electrical systems, since they are on all the time?
Only a true HID system will use less amperage and still be effective.

Anything else will have less brightness and that is dangerious. I'm not taking chances with my visibility just to save some amperage.

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
VROC ~v~ 485
Chicagoland, IL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement