Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Les

Angry Stupid R/R, hopefully....

Well,

Put in the new MF battery last week, everything was great... until yesterday.

I went to get gas, not to far away and not a hot day, and it wouldn't start. Gave it a while and finally had to get a jump to get it home.

The battery just isn't charging. I did a quick test on the battery voltage with it running and I couldn't get more than around 12.8 VDC out of it. Obviously not enough to charge the battery. I am hoping that it is the R/R and not the Stator. Although one day I would like to learn how to pull an engine now just isn't the time. (The garage is a bit messy, ok ok you can barely walk in there)

But the good news is with the wealth of knowledge on this site I know can know at least diagnose the problem and then fix the problem (in theory at least)! Otherwise I would be at a loss...

BTW... Went to the Sprawl-Mart tonight for the oil and filter to get that done and found the Black and Decker battery tender. I saw someone else had one on this site and it works great. Only $18, not bad.

Anyway. There is the issue I am having, wish me luck.

Les
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 04:50 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
But the good news is with the wealth of knowledge on this site I know can know at least diagnose the problem and then fix the problem (in theory at least)! Otherwise I would be at a loss...

BTW... Went to the Sprawl-Mart tonight for the oil and filter to get that done and found the Black and Decker battery tender. I saw someone else had one on this site and it works great. Only $18, not bad.

Anyway. There is the issue I am having, wish me luck.

Les
HERE is a link to the Vulcan Verses page on checking the R/R. Hope it helps.
Did you happen to notice if your headlight is still working? Mine wasn't and it was a bad stator.

I think it was DMAG who got one of those B&D chargers. If I remember right, he liked it.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 07:15 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I've had absolutely no luck getting the right readings off the r/r (I tend to get high), and have just taken to testing mine dynamically (as in, "turn on the engine and see if the battery's charging at higher rpms"). If you have any trouble with the measurements, give a shout - I have a couple of extra regulators and can lend one to you to test your system. Like you say, best to be really, really sure it's a stator issue before you go disassembling things.

Also, since you've got the tender, see if the battery will charge off the bike - always could be a bad battery outta the box.

Also also, check all of your connections to make sure they're clean and tight.

C

Last edited by Crobins365; 09-18-2007 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Had more coffee, had other thoughts

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Les

Thanks!

I thought about the bad battery, but I left it on the tender last night and it was fully charge this morning, so it doesn't appear to be that. I was kinda hoping it was...

But, I will do the measurements tonight of the R/R and see what I can come up with. I appreciate the offer for the loaner!

I did a quick visual of the connections and didn't notice any loose or corroded ones, but the mosquitoes were out in droves last night and that forced me inside early. That is on the list of items to check.

At the very least I can get the R/R moved out of the oven and into some cool air, bad or not.

Thanks,
Les
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Les

Well, it looks like an R/R problem.... if I did everything right.

I decided to check on eBay and saw this unit. It is significantly less expensive than other units. Does anyone see anything wrong with this unit? Any cautions or recommendations as to where go purchase one?

http://tinyurl.com/3yuhgr

Thanks to all for your help.

Les
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 10:29 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Looks ok, although I don't know about that supposed "mod" they did...seems like one more thing to go wrong ("Oh, hey, the battery's fully charged! Stop producing current! Oh, hey, whoops, we're down to 11 volts...").

I've bought all my r/r's used off of eBay, but I know folks here are getting them from more reputable places. Do a quick search on "Rick's" and "Electrosport" - those two names come to mind as possible options.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 07:06 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Well, it looks like an R/R problem.... if I did everything right.

I decided to check on eBay and saw this unit. It is significantly less expensive than other units. Does anyone see anything wrong with this unit? Any cautions or recommendations as to where go purchase one?

http://tinyurl.com/3yuhgr

Thanks to all for your help.

Les
Well, they do say they have a 1 year warranty and seem to have decent feedback.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement