YTX14AHL-BS - dry cell or not? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Crusin' for a Bruisin'

YTX14AHL-BS - dry cell or not?

A quick question.

As per recommendations, I looked up Yuasa YTX14AHL-BS battery, and yea verily, it looketh good.

However, I was wondering, is this a dry battery or not? According to manuals for several trickle-charges I own, none of them are supposed be used to charge dry-cells as they, apparently, make dry-cell batteries explode.

So, is YTX14AHL-BS dry-cell? Yuasa website isn't too helpful, though it does vaguely suggest they're wet, AGM-treated? Wanna make sure before I blow cash on it.

Thanks!

Andro, the Croatian Vagabond

VN750A10 - 'Hephaestus' (Pearl Black / Corvette Aniversary Red custom paint)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 11:33 PM

Its not a dry cell. Your chargers should be fine.
I have that battery and it says on it not to use a charger above 1.2 amps.
That could be really important. I used a 2.0 amp charger on the same battery and it went bad (wouldnt hold a charge) after 6 months.
My stator and rr were fine. Bought another battery (same one) and a battery tender junior (.750 ma. charger) alls been good now.
I did some research on this and if you charge with a higher amperage,it will work but it will damage the battery.
Below is some info on that battery.

Maintenance Free
Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) Technology is an advanced battery design used in Yuasa's Maintenance Free Batteries that eliminates water loss. Once it's filled with acid the battery is permanently sealed - so you'll never need to fill it with water or check the acid level.

Long Life
Because of its lead calcium design, the AGM battery will hold its specific gravity more than three times longer than conventional lead antimony types. This means much longer periods between charges when the battery is used in a standby mode, like winter storage.

And to remain factory-fresh the AGM battery is shipped dry along with its own pack of high-gravity acid that's added at the time of installation.

Sealed, Non-spillable
Once filled with acid from its special packs, the AGM battery is virtually maintenance free. It's totally sealed and all of the acid is absorbed in the special plates and separators, so there is no need to worry about acid leaks on valuable vehicle parts and accessories.

Steve from Pittsburgh
2005 vn750
modified knifemaker driver boards
chrome levers, Shaved saddle
Ape manual CCT's, nylon saddle bags
engine mount covers, plexIII windshield
crash bar w/floor boards, air hawk pad
ear mod, rad cover/,w/ss mesh
chrome cable and wire covers
chrome anti-freeze cover
RR relocation,MF battery,drilled out
idle plugs,marbled
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 05:27 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

A dry cell battery is like a typical D, C, AA, AAA battery. Not anything like a maintenance free one.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement