Wolo Bad Boy / Stebel air horn - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Growling at the World...

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog485
Wolo Bad Boy / Stebel air horn

Well, I did it. This morning I was looking at how I could add the air-horns and found a great place using a part from a Memphis Shades windshield mounting kit. The piece that is used to secure the windshield to the fork tube can be adjusted to fit a 1.35" down tube on the Nomad and with that in mind I was thinking.

Well, I didn't want to ride to the Harbor Freight store and back with my busy day so I went looking around as I wanted it TODAY. Auto Zone had them for $65, which I promptly asked them if they were farking nuts and left. Wal-Mart and Murray's didn't have them but I did stumble on a Wolo Bad Boy at Meier's for $39.99. OK, $10 more then I could have gotten them for but time is money and all that and I wanted to get these on ASAP as on my way to Meier's I had to blast the horns again to keep some dimwitted lady on her cell phone out of my lane. That made my mind up...

Now, don't get me wrong here. The Fiamm Freeway Blasters currently on the bike are LOUD, but I want more. I expected there to be no problem with power so I opted to keep the Fiamm's and add the Wolo. I elected to mount the Wolo under the ignition switch on the left side of the engine compartment in front of the engine. With a custom cut bracket I made, the horn fit right in the compartment. I made a 12" harness so I could power the horn from the harness leading to the Fiamm on the left side with a pair of spade piggyback jumpers. From starting the project, making the harness and bracket and fitting the horn exactly where I wanted it, I had the Wolo hooked up in 1 hour.

Now for the test ride... That was fun. I had to find a clear patch of road to blast away. The planned stretch I normally use was full of back-up traffic due to a plane crash (http://www.nwherald.com/articles/200...2064687251.txt), so I had to find a new empty road. The first blasts were nice and LOUD but I noticed a voltage drop when the horn is applied. Normally the Nad rides around 14VDC but when the horn is hit, it drops to 11VDC. When I tried for a 10 second blast, the 15A fuse in my dist. box blew after 6 seconds. I swapped it out for a 20A and it withstood the 10 second test but the voltage drop was mighty. Seeing how I only use the horns for emergency uses, this doesn't concern me much. If it becomes a issue, I'll install a capacitor inline. I was not expecting that much of a draw, but I am powering an aftermarket air horn and two aftermarket electric horns. On my 10 second test blast, I saw a car 1/4 mile ahead of me hit the brakes. Nice... Not that I am looking forward to when I have to lay on the horns in the future, but I am happy knowing that they will be heard...

Here are some pictures of the install and finished job. The page also contains older pictures from when I put Rivco's on my VN750.
http://www.bulldogsbike.com/airhorns.htm

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
http://www.bulldogsbike.com
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 26,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 ~ Black Betty ~ 34,999.7 miles
VROC ~v~ 485
McHenry County Road Pirates
Chicagoland, IL

Last edited by bulldog485; 09-03-2007 at 11:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 12:44 AM
Giggity!

Garage
One on each side (Fiamm)? If so, no wonder your drawing alot of power. I take it the factory are also completely gone?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Growling at the World...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck69 View Post
One on each side (Fiamm)? If so, no wonder your drawing alot of power. I take it the factory are also completely gone?
The Fiamm's replaced the OEM factory horns. I ran new wiring with a relay and seeing that when I build something I ususally go overkill, so I know that the wiring can handle the Wolo in addition to the Fiamm's...

I figure that if I'm tooting the horns enough to have issues, then either I'm riding like an ******* or the world is getting more blind and stupid and then it would be time to give up riding

Looking forward to a quiet road tomorrow to give a full test. Hopefully there will be come sleeping cows around

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 26,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
VROC ~v~ 485
Chicagoland, IL

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 08:26 AM
Giggity!

Garage
Gotchya! New wiring, too week of fuse. Easy to do and correct. I've seen those wolo's at HF and they were on sale if not still for 25 bucks. I almost bought one. You'll have to let us know how it sounds!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 02:05 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

There was also a cheaper, no-named, chromed plastic dual tone airhorn in the latest HF catalog I got. It was about 8db or so lower but looked very similar to the Wolo one and was only about $20.

Looks like your Nomad is one horny bike there, Bulldog! LOL

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 11:07 PM

I gotta see if I have this right on Vulcan with two horns unplug one horn and use wiring for relay and remaining horn wires go to trigger the Wolo air horn?
Does the wolo airhorn have a two wire connection ?
I will give this upgrade a try if not complicated. My horns suck! Thanks
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Growling at the World...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rucruisen View Post
I gotta see if I have this right on Vulcan with two horns unplug one horn and use wiring for relay and remaining horn wires go to trigger the Wolo air horn?
Does the wolo airhorn have a two wire connection ?
I will give this upgrade a try if not complicated. My horns suck! Thanks
NO!!! Unplug the horns. Use one of the trigger wire sets to activate the relay and tape up the other (unless you want it to keep activating the remaining horn). Run a power lead from the battery to the relay, from the relay to the horn and to ground. See http://www.bulldogsbike.com/relays.htm and http://www.bulldogsbike.com/airhorns.htm for examples.

The OEM horn wires only will be used to trip the relay. Only 1 set is required.

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
VROC ~v~ 485
Chicagoland, IL

Last edited by bulldog485; 09-04-2007 at 11:26 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Growling at the World...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperbuzzin View Post
Looks like your Nomad is one horny bike there, Bulldog! LOL
It's so horny, it might be renamed the "Red Toad"... hehehehehehe!!!

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
VROC ~v~ 485
Chicagoland, IL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement