Won't turn over - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Won't turn over

Hopefully i'm not asking for a repeat of the 'Bad Starter' thread, but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Bike sat over last weekend and when I went to star 'er up on tuesday . . . nothing. Today's the first day I've gotten a chance to spend some time on it and unfortunately I can't find my Clymer's.

So. The battery looks fine. Ran a voltmeter across the two nodes and got 12.5 with the electric off slightly less with it on (12.25?). Still, key in, choke out, in neutral, ingition does nothing . . . doesn't sound like it's even trying to catch.

What's interesting is the turn sounds very even (if that makes sense) I'm a little more used to hearing pronounced tone differences when I attempt to start, but nothing here.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, was hoping to join a ride on Labor Day . . . hoping to poke it more tonight or tomorrow morning.

http://www.scurvysvarog.com/vn750/
'86 vn750 since 7 May '07
Falls Church, VA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 07:58 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

If you've got good voltage at the battery, check your leads to your starter solenoid, starter, and then the ground cable back. It could just be a loose connection...here's hoping!

C
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 08:38 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
So you say it is turning over just not starting.
Sounds smooth and same tone not normal like a Chugging sound.
Have you pulled a plug to see if you are getting spark, checked for fuel?
You can check for fuel by trying to drain the float bowl.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

I know it's been a week since I posted this, and again I had limited time to play with it. Well after a frustrating week (had to break the toolbox off because one of the seat screws is screwed (mustang seat rivet isn't flush with the seat body and is turning with the screw, had to take off the sissy bar to take off the seat)) I've finally got it started!

Yay! only not so much.

It started from a downhill push, and ran like crap. It would sustain speed fine, but if i pulled the clutch in for anything more than a gear shift it would die. Couldn't idle at lights . . . hell couldn't even idle well enough for a rolling stop for a stop sign.

So . . . thoughts? I definitely played with the adjustment screw on the carb and it could be as simple as fixing that, but i don't know how to zero it out and where to put it (not the screw, the 'knob' for lack of a better term).

Did everything (well almost, i didn't want to pull the starter) that clymer recommended to check for it. Battery looks fine starter solenoid sounds/looks/tastes good, carbs were getting gas (hey, it started), spakrs were all 'good', etc.

What's amusing is after all of this it'll start without a downhill push -- sometimes. There's a lot more fidgeting with clutch, throttle, etc. but it will occasionally start while standing still.

Things i noticed. a> My air filters are crap. Crumbly or non-existent, i'm headed over to the dealership to see if i can get a new pair. b> there was a bit of dry rot in the vent hose from the right side carb . . . enough to poke a pin hole through, covered that over with electrical tape and thought that'd be good enough. c> while riding sans helmet in the parking lot (slow speeds, early morning, to hear better) it sounded like big air pushes from the engine block with throttle twists -- these were the same noises i heard when testing the spark plugs (i.e. plug out touched to ground, hit starter, heard 'whoosh whoosh' from the hole where the spark wasn't).

Again -- any ideas? I'm off to the store to get new filters.

Falls Church, VA
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Search Goddess

It takes three things to start a bike and keep it running
Gas, Air and spark
With rotting air filters you are not getting good air and may even be sucking in a bit of filter debris. Air flow works both ways and while you need good intake, you also need good venting
Idle (without choke) should be set at about 1100 rpms +/- 50

Now, not getting good spark or hearing at least a clicking from the starter relay points to electrical (also part of the "spark")

I really think at this time you need to set aside some time and do some good general maintenance Have the battery load tested, check, clean and repack (with dielectric grease) all of the electrical. Check grounds and also the actual ignition. Run a double dose of SeaFoam through the tank and carb bowls (not being able to maintain an idle can point to a stuck float, dirty needle.. carbs..)
You didn't say how old the bike is, if regular maintenance has been done on it, how many miles etc, but going by what you found with the air filters, it's overdue for a good going over.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)

Last edited by Dianna; 09-08-2007 at 12:55 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianna View Post
It takes three things to start a bike and keep it running
Gas, Air and spark
It was the air. Well, let's blame it on two things.

The air filters were beyond crumbly. I thought they were passable, but when I got the new filters I saw just how bad the originals were. Put them in place (but again, another stripped screw is there to piss me off) and it fires up and sits well, but with an uneven idle.

Adjust the idle adjustment knob so it 'sounds' right (tach is mostly dead) and everything sits better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianna View Post
I really think at this time you need to set aside some time and do some good general maintenance
I agree with you and wish i could. I live in an apartment complex, which means that all repairs are done outside and anything that takes multiple days to do is not getting done. Unfortunately I'm still learning my way around the wrench and am slow on everything, this means I have to focus on one area at a time. Though when I'm focused on that one area, I'm really focused on it. Cleaning everything I can, fixing or tweeking what I should and (again, unfortunately because I'm new and slow to some of this) mucking things up on occasion.

The bike's an '86. I don't know that the guy before me took care of anything beyond polishing and general riding. I took delivery of it in march and have had little trouble with it. 1 oil leak from a bad o ring on the shifter; Battery died once in hot and slow traffic; and now this. All in all, not bad for a 20 year old bike. It looks like someone was smart with the electric. It's all tucked away neatly, some rerouted, some retaped and greased, for the most part the electric doesn't look bad. What does look bad are the rubber bits, which in more than a few places look like they're close to rotting away. I take inventory of the hoses that look bad every other time I hop on the bike, and know they'll be the next big project I'll jump on.

As for the electrical. It all looks good. I don't fully trust the battery that's in there. It's an MF but not one that i put in, so i don't know how old it is. The battery's held up since the first full drain on the highway, i've tested it on occasion and it generally seems to be in the sweet 12.5 spot. This after having not touched it for a week.

I don't really want to turn this into 'any other advice' thread, just want to say that the initial problem is 'fixed', though i'm going to take it on a longer ride and see what happens.

Thanks.

p.s. I do seafoam monthly and put a double shot in this morning on a full tank before heading to the dealer.

Falls Church, VA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement