New Owner, no electricity - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

New Owner, no electricity

I have an '05 with around 1,600 miles, just bought it a couple of weeks ago from a dealer. I rode a half hour to work yesterday in steady rain. When I tried to use the turn signals, they didn't work. It was strange, the other electrics (headlights, normal start) seemed fine. When I got to work, the turn signals were working again and they worked on the ride home.

This morning, when I tried to start it up, it was completely dead - no lights, the starter didn't make a sound, nothing. Since I was using the stock wet cell battery, I went to Sears to buy the maintenance free Yuasa (Part # 44005). It's charging as I type this.

Two questions -

1. Does this sound like a situation that a battery change will solve?
2. Any tips for replacing the battery? Anything special I should know? I've never changed one before and I don't have any guidance beyond the owners manual.

Thanks and happy riding,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

No great secret about changing batteries.... rule of thumb now a days for all batteries is to hook up positive first then negitive... has to do with arcing the computor in cars! Go to a dealer and ask them what they do if a cars battery dies!!

You might want to check the plugs and conections behind the side covers and take a look see at your fuses... if all seems good then put in the new batterie.. after that I'd go to the dealer and tell them what she did and have them go over it again!! It should still be under warrenty!

It is "possable" that your bike did have a bad battery to start with and this is all it needs.. I have seen new batteries dies from having bad cells.

PS.... if you haven't all ready heard it... when you get her running again check your splines when you get a chance!

1980 440LTD
1976 KZ900
1995 VN750 19,500 miles ( start of '08 season ) All mine!
Can't have too many Kaws!

Last edited by 95VN750; 08-11-2007 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Forgot to list something
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 01:28 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

If the turnsignals seemed to be the only thing first to have problems, I'd start there.
Maybe a connection to the signals was shorting out (check the fuses, as posted above) and drained the battery while it sat overnight (but change the battery too, as long as ya got a MF one now)
Did you happen to try the hazard signals?

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, I didn't try the hazards. I'm going to go take a look at the wiring, plugs, fuses. If everything looks OK, I'm going to swap the battery.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Geek

I have an 05 with close to 6000 miles. No problems. I have posted problems with the turn signals. Although it could be the battery, take out the bulbs and sand the contacts a little. Your splines are probably dry. Mine had next to nothing. Check out Fergy's spline lube procedure here and do it. It's not hard. It sounds like it has been sitting un-used. Put some Sea Foam in the tank.

Ron from Jersey
2005 VN750
HellFire windshield
Kaw extended backrest
Cobra exhaust
Re-located stator wires
Side bags
15,000 Miles July/2012
It's PAID OFF ! May 2009
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Now what

Basic Electrical System Checking
You'll need a good VoltOhmMeter (VOM) preferably with alligator clips on the leads. If you don't, you'll need a helper. You also need a known good battery for the test results to make sense. Remove the seat and start the bike. Either attach the VOM to the battery or have your helper hold them on. Note the voltage at idle. It should be about 12.4 to 12.6 volts, which I call Plain Old Battery Voltage. Bring the engine to 2500 rpm and note the voltage. It should be more than POBV, hopefully over 13.5 volts. Raise the speed to 5000 rpm and note the voltage. It should be 15.5 or less. If these check out, the stator and R/R are ok. If not, you can use this chart to help pinpoint the problem. http://www.offwidth.co.uk/bike/gener...lt_finding.pdf
or http://www.electrosport.com/Images/fault_finding.pdf

If the bike runs for about 20 minutes then dies, the battery isn't getting charged while riding. That's about how long a fully charged battery can keep the bike running with the headlight on. It would be a good idea to put some kind of volt meter on the bike to keep tabs on the charging system.

'04 750A- and loving it!
VROC 13864
Using a Purlator One PL14610
"Sixth gear? I don't need no stinkin sixth gear!"
If someone throws you under the bus-remember to tuck and roll
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Glad to hear you haven't had many problems with your '05, Ron. Hopefully I'll be in the same boat when I'm back on the road. From I told the dealer that I wouldn't buy the bike unless they lubed the spline, explaining what I learned on this forum. I appreciate you guys looking out for me.

So, the plugs and fuses are OK and I didn't notice anything with the wiring. When I went to change the battery, I noticed one of the terminal bolts was stripped. I do have a drill, but don't feel comfortable trying to get the stripped bolt out of there. People could base comedy skits on some of my mechanical ventures, I'd probably wind up drilling through the old battery!!! At this point, it's probably best for me to have a conversation with the dealer tomorrow morning to see what can be done to take care of this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Here's the update -

I wound up getting it to the dealer and they took care of everything beyond the tow. They put in a new regulator, put in the new battery I left with them, and ran it through the bikini bike wash they were having. It seems to be running fine. And, I'm really digging this maintenance free battery. Starting it in the morning is much, much better. I never thought it would make that much of a difference. I ride all year round here in NYC and I have to say I was a little worried about starting it up in the colder months. I feel a little more confident with the maintenance free battery.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 04:45 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Good to hear, John. Hope you get many many miles of riding outta your bike.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Benjammin'

John, I hate to say it, but you got screwed.

If they were the ones who put the bike through the bikini bike wash, you were screwed. Hopefully you at least got to watch?

Sorry- I couldn't resist.

Ben-
SW Ohio

'02 VN750
Pipes drilled
Spline lubed
R/R relocated
AGM batteried
Iridium equipped
LED tail lighted
8000-ish miled
Soon to be MCCTed