Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
New to Cruisers

Turn signals

I'm sure there is a thread about this somewhere but I can't find it. The rubber stem on all four of my turn signals has dry rotted and broke. I'd really like to go with straight metal stems so that it won't happen again and because I think it will look better. Will this be difficult to do? Or will it be a simple take one off, throw another on? Sorry I'm new to this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 01:39 AM
Chasin' the blacktop

E-Bay is your friend. Plenty of turn signals there.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 02:06 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwall89 View Post
I'm sure there is a thread about this somewhere but I can't find it. The rubber stem on all four of my turn signals has dry rotted and broke. I'd really like to go with straight metal stems so that it won't happen again and because I think it will look better. Will this be difficult to do? Or will it be a simple take one off, throw another on? Sorry I'm new to this
This is a real easy mod... You need a razor blade or sharp knife, 10 mm wrench or socket, #2 Phillips screw driver and 2 "Bic" pens strip the ink and ends off the pens to leave a solid plastic tube, then cut the tube in half (precision isn't necessary, as you will trim them to fit later)
Next, remove the turn signals from your bike
Take the lenses off and pull the bulbs out.
Inside the turn signal housing there is a metal reflective dish that is held in with 2 small phillips screws through a clamp. Remove the two screws, and using your screw driver as a pry bar, gently pry the clip out and remove the dish.
(This next step might be reversed with the previous step, its been a long time since I did this)
Next pull the wires and light bulb socket out through the lens opening. This leaves you with an empty light socket, black rubber stalks, and the chrome mounting block.
Cut the black rubber stems flush with the chrome pieces. Then push one plasticc tube into the chrome mounting block from the rubber side back towards the mounting side. Make sure it goes all the way in. Now push your empty turnsignal housing onto the other end of the plastic tube.
Reassemble the turnsignal housing in reverse order of taking it apart.

**A couple of tips**
*coat the plastic tubes with hair spray to help them slide in easier and to glue them in place once the hair spray dries

*feed a piece of stiff wire through the assembled modded turn signal housing from the mounting block back into the empty housing, attach the light socket wires to the piece of wire and pull the stiff wire back out, to help feed the wires easier

HERE is my full write up with pictures

Last edited by slimvulcanrider; 03-23-2014 at 02:20 AM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 02:22 AM

eBay. I got a cheap pair for the back for like $20 bucks. I mounted then into my brake light housing and like the look. They're tiny and very bright.

2007 Kawi ninja-sold
1990 Vulcan 750-sold
2001 Honda Sabre 1100-wrecked then sold
2013 Victory Highball
Ride on wolf
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 04:05 PM

we switched to the Suzuki Volusia 800 turn signals, nice looking rubber mounted and the clamp on your forks, the rubber is replaceable as well, plus they still retain the running light feature.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
New to Cruisers

I really want to get rid of the rubber and go straight metal if possible. But is doing the bic repair or replacing with another rubber a better choice?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
New to Cruisers

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	14466 has anybody used these? I like the look
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 11:03 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwall89 View Post
I really want to get rid of the rubber and go straight metal if possible. But is doing the bic repair or replacing with another rubber a better choice?
not better, just a different option is all.. and very cheap... I think it took me about 20 minutes to do it... with out ever reading on how to do it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 05:46 PM
Giggity!

Garage
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 06:01 PM

I put old Yamaha sigs on mine originally...all metal, so you could eliminate the ground too....I got 4 at a scrapyard for $10.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement