Problem - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Problem

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right section, then again I don't know the problem so I guess here is a good spot.

So here is the story, I was cruising along a flat straight back road at about 50mph, mind you it is probably the only day in New Hampshire when the temp reaches 95deg, so I was cruising along running good when all of a sudden it seemed as though the motor wasn't getting any gas, though the gague says half tank. It started to bog down on me....I thought WTF! So I switched it to RES really quick and it got me another 400 ft or so, then it quit. Again, WTF! So I first made sure all of my wires were on my plugs, which they were. All good there. I had a half tank, looked in to make sure I still had some. So I tried to start it, no luck. I sat there for about 1 min to let it cool. Tried again, nothing. So I pulled back on the choke all the way and she fired right up. I let it sit with the choke open for a few seconds and then switch it closed. So now it's idleing fine and seems to be running ok. I went another half mile and filled up the tank completely to make sure that it wasn't that. I let it sit and cool down for 5-10mins and then she fired up and started no problem, like it always does.

So....now it seems to run fine, but it seems like I'm pulling a ton of dead weight behind me....maybe it's in my head.....runs fine....at the same RPM's as it usually is....gets up to speed fine and cruise great as always, just doesn't seem as snappy? Maybe?....is it in my head? Or is this just an isolated incident like I'm hoping.....any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys and girls!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I think your bike said, "I'm in New Hampshire and it's 95 degrees! WTF!" and quit.

Folks have been posting lots of similar things, but it sounds like some crud broke loose and clogged a fuel line; and then freed itself and you're good to go. Give it a good dose of Seafoam and see if it clears your head...and your bike. Seriously, there's so much junk in the gasoline anymore it coulda been anything - and if you're not seeing any change in performance, you can probably relax...if it happens again, then, well, two points make a line. But for the moment, I'd take it as a blip.

Getting any rain up that way? We're cooking down here.

C
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 05:25 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to bj31702
Same thing happened to me on Monday on the way to work, But I didn't switch to reserve until it died with a huge backfire. Coasted to a safe place to pull over on Rt 20. Checked the gas visually yup there was a half tank there. switched to res. hit the starter nothing hit the starter again fired right up. Everythng was fine the rest of the way to work. The next morning after work started up fine. And every chance I could I got oh it pretty hard.

'09 Nomad e sold
'85 VN700 A1 (needs work)
'11 Voyager

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Hey Cindy! Long time no talk huh?! Yeah, I swear were in Seattle, New Hampshire up here. Everyday has been either overcast or raining, it's never been like this here. But today was a scorcher here, gross hot. Yeah, I think it's safe to say that your right Cindy and bj31702, just happened. Crud probably did fill the lines and clogged it....no biggy. I poured in some Seafoam to let it sit tonite and probably tomorrow...might rain again! So we'll see how it goes. It's weird as every other tank or so I put in more Seafoam.....weird.....Thanks for the quick responses guys and girls!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 12:20 AM
Growling at the World...

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog485
Sounds to me like "Phantom VN750 Failure"... Had this a lot in the early days when it was hot as a monkeys ass and the bike was working HOT. Believe it or not, it turned out to be my RR, which was in the early stages of failure. It would get real hot and it's preformance would start to drop.

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
http://www.bulldogsbike.com
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 26,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 ~ Black Betty ~ 34,999.7 miles
VROC ~v~ 485
McHenry County Road Pirates
Chicagoland, IL
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Well I'm hoping it's just the phantom VN750 failure.....It would make sense that it may be the heat because it is never this hot here. I'm hoping....I'll be purchasing Bulldog's famous R/R bracket very soon so I'll cover my a$$ there. Let's just hope thats what it was. Thanks!

1992 Vulcan 750 (Mistress)

Sweet fishtails!!

Kury Chrome Rearviews

TourMaster II Pro Leather Bags

R/R Relocate (Bulldog)

New Airboxes and Filters! (Tanz1983)

Just Passed 10,000 miles on her!

Real riders ride in the rain.

Actual Miles: 10,242
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 07:46 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog485 View Post
Sounds to me like "Phantom VN750 Failure"... Had this a lot in the early days when it was hot as a monkeys ass and the bike was working HOT. Believe it or not, it turned out to be my RR, which was in the early stages of failure. It would get real hot and it's preformance would start to drop.
Since I've just put McKnight back together...do elaborate as to what 'working hot" looked like. You mean the bike was running warm, as evidenced by the temp gauge? Or there was a lot of heat coming off the engine block? It's monkey's-butt-hot here, too - right now I have a 45-mile one-way ride to work; in the a.m., gauge is nice and low, and I'm wishing for some warmth off the block. In the afternoons, I'm shutting down at every stop light, the gauge is running right in the middle of the temp symbol while cruising, and my right leg is hot. Just the right, not the left. No overheating, though, and no untoward behavior by the bike...just me, fretting. Kinda like Tyger.

C
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 08:34 AM
86 VN750

What you people call hot is just another warm day here. Mine has done it several times, no real pattern except half tank or less.

1986 VN750
V force windshield
Vance & Hines
Willy & Max bags w/Kaw brackets
22,000 Miles as of 8-6-07
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, like I said I filled the tank up and it seems to be fine...I rode the remaining 30+ miles home no problem.....weird....Though it never gets that hot here so I'm not really worried.

Cindy, it was running right dead center of the gague.....highest it's ever been really, even sitting in stop and go traffic. I would definitly say that it was probably just the heat....which is weird.....Thanks for all of the help! Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a big problem!

1992 Vulcan 750 (Mistress)

Sweet fishtails!!

Kury Chrome Rearviews

TourMaster II Pro Leather Bags

R/R Relocate (Bulldog)

New Airboxes and Filters! (Tanz1983)

Just Passed 10,000 miles on her!

Real riders ride in the rain.

Actual Miles: 10,242
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 08:01 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

I've been out on more than a few 100 mile+ rides where I'd have the "Phantom VN750 Failure" once, and only once, during the entire ride. Sometimes at the start of the ride, sometimes towards the end.
Seems like no rhyme or reason to it. It just happened.
It always seemed/sounded like the bike was only running on one cylinder when it happened.
On the Erie ride (450+ miles total), and now that I think about, for the last several months, it hasn't happened at all.
I don't have a relocated R/R, but also don't have the goats belly. I do still have a wet-cell battery.

It must be caused by some newbie Gremlins that don't know how to hold onto the bike yet.
They just start to cause a problem, then fall off!
Damn Gremilins !!!

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement