My battery terminal melted on my bike, someone please help - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

My battery terminal melted on my bike, someone please help

Hello everyone how's it going? I have a 1999 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 with 3000 miles on it. I start my bike every couple of weeks and let it run for a while so that my carbs don't get gummed up. It is winter time and it's very cold outside, I tried to start the bike today and it wouldn't run it would only turn over. Eventually I tried to start it so many times that the battery died. (Are these bikes always hard to start when its cold out?) I took the seat off and to my surprise the negative battery terminal was melted! Terrible since this battery is only a year old. I never have problems with this bike not starting, it always starts first push of the button. I would greatly appreciate it if someone would be able to share some knowledge on this situation. I did notice when I looked at the battery that the connection wasn't the greatest on the negative terminal, when I installed the battery it was nice and tight but somehow it became loose. I also have a Schumacher battery maintainer that I keep on 24/7 in the winter, is that ok to do? Could it have had part in damaging my battery?

Last edited by jcryan1988; 03-13-2014 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 11:13 PM

I keep a Schumacher on mine, and unless there's a short somewhere, it wont damage the battery.....I unhook mine occasionally when its fully charged, but I have an AGM....

Im in upstate NY....I have critters livin in my unheated garage where my bike is....well, the charger wires get warm....mice especially will tend to go there ( I got lots of mice, even in my bedroom).....

Check all your connections....get a good AGM battery like a Deka (well worth it).....an AGM will hold its charge for a long time, even in cold, so you wont need to keep it on the trickle charger all winter....

Connect the ground side first....if you have a big spark when you connect the positive side, you have a short somewhere, and could be from mice chewin.....if you have no spark, yer good to go....if there's a spark, you need to hunt for damaged wiring.....thats just done visually initially....

Howl if ya need help....

post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Wolfie, I will check into this in the morning and respond back to you then. What is an AGM?

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 11:41 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
It's a sealed battery with a fiberglass mat inside, not like the ones you fill(wet cell).they hold a much better charge.but cost a little more.worth the investment

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

Oh I see!
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 10:20 AM
Chasin' the blacktop

Iradium spark plugs also seem to help a cold engine start better for next time.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 10:30 AM

Long cranking time can easily melt the fragile terminals on these batteries. Even cars should never be cranked for more than 10 or so seconds without pausing to allow heat to dissipate. If it doesn't melt a post, it can melt the tie webs between cells inside the battery.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

So I played around a little bit this morning. I hooked up the maintainer to the battery and got a good charge to hook the terminals up to see if it would spark or not, I did the negative first as Wolfie had suggested and the positive did not spark. I did this with the key in the off position, should i try it with the key in the on position as well? I took a couple of pictures as well to show the damage but I can't figure out how to post them in this response. FoolAmI what are Iradium spark plugs? What kind do you get? I think I have NGK's in it right now if I remember correctly but whatever I can do to better this bike I will do. Spockster if that is the case I probably did mess this up myself because I held that button over and over again trying to get it to fire up and it wasn't happening, and I also realized when i took the seat off that the negative came loose a bit and it wasn't a tight connection like the positive was.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 11:37 AM
Jack of all trades

You probably had arcing from the loose connection. Multiple tries would build lots of heat over that arc causing a melted terminal. I've seen that happen on some of the crappier bikes I've rebuilt. The AGM battery is the way to go, they may be labeled maintenance free or sealed batteries also. As for the iridium plugs, NGK DPR7IX9 is the plug you are looking for.

2003 vn750
1988 Pontiac Trans Am (project/driver)
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 11:41 AM

It would be normal to see a spark with the key on. Be careful about the sparks, good batteries can blow up from the gases they produce.

A loose connection can also cause excess heat, especially if there's enough contact to crank over. All the amperage will be flowing through a smaller point of contact, and then there's arcing.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement