Members who have donated towards server costs
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas
The rewire was just cutting off the horribly deteriorated molex connector that plugged into the RR and replacing it with individual spade connectors. After reading Dianna's info and thinking about it, I opted NOT to fuse my stator. If one leg blows a fuse, it takes the others with it and both electronic componants fry anyway.
I believe the stator and RR have been going for quite awhile now as my voltage readings at the battery were not normal. I would get 13+V at idle and around 14.5 at 3K RPM. I knew that something was going and since the RR had had battery corrosion on it, I knew it was only a matter of time before it all caught up with me. I also had one leg of the stator leads come unplugged at the bullet connectors and didn't know it until I did a routine inspection. That probably contributed to the stator failure. I figured as long as the battery was charging, I'd live with it until it all failed. The overheating battery sense wire was the final straw and I can't ignore it any more.
Ursula has had a hard life. Even though she only has about 17800 miles on her, at least half have been hard miles. Her previous owners didn't take care of her, they left her out in the rain and weather, and she's been dumped at least twice, once on each side. If I'd known more about the 750 and street bikes in general when I bought her, I wouldn't have. I would have found another VN750 but one that had been better taken care of or brand new one. Money was an object at the time though so I don't feel too bad. Besides, she's taught me an awful lot about wrenching on a motorcycle. Once I get back from vacation, I'll have her up and running in no time.
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08