Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Angry RR Finally Bit the Dust!!!

Well, it finally happened. The RR has now officially crapped the bed. The bike's been sitting for about 2 months now as I've been gone to various parts of the world and today I decided to go ahead and do some of the maintenance that hasn't been done because of my absence. I went ahead and started her up and the white battery wire on the RR started smoking. IT WAS HOT!!! Shut her down and let the wire cool and then checked the connection, which was dirty so I cleaned it up and tried again. No joy.

I pulled the RR and ohmed it out and it has definatly failed. My question is who to buy the RR from? Ricks or Electrosport. If the stator is gone, I'll definitly go with Rick's but the RR is another question. Both have a 1 year warranty so which one seems to have the best track record of the 2?

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

OK, upon further testing, add me to the "Fried Stator Club".
I ohmed it out and the leg to leg resistance is OK but the lead to ground resistance is around 2 to .2 MegOhm. That sucks. I just changed the oil too!!! It will have to wait until late August to fix it but I'll go ahead and just order it all from Rick's when the time comes.
Here goes another engine pull!!! I'll be a pro when all is said and done. There are some things I want to check on the engine anyway so this will just make it easier.
If you ain't wrenching, you ain't learning.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Rider View Post
OK, upon further testing, add me to the "Fried Stator Club".

If you ain't wrenching, you ain't learning.
Yeah, but if you area wrenching, you ain't riding - which also sucks. Sorry to hear about that. I picked up spares stators off of eBay, so I can't weigh in on Rick's. However, I do believe that the Fried Stator Club is almost big enough to be a sub-group here on the Forum. With our own patches made by Hyper!!

C

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 09:20 PM
Drive less, ride more...

Sky, in your signature you mentioned doing an "r/r rewire" back this past February.

does that mean you fused the stator wires...or what?.......

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/

Last edited by theauhawk; 07-29-2007 at 08:47 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 06:20 PM
Gnarly Jokester

Location: Southwest of Ruby Ridge, Geiger Heights, Washington, USA.

How many miles on the bike sky?

`
"When the sun's comin' up,
I got cakes on the griddle.
Life ain't nothin' but a funny funny riddle,
Thank God I'm a Country Boy!"

`
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Hawk, Norsseman

The rewire was just cutting off the horribly deteriorated molex connector that plugged into the RR and replacing it with individual spade connectors. After reading Dianna's info and thinking about it, I opted NOT to fuse my stator. If one leg blows a fuse, it takes the others with it and both electronic componants fry anyway.
I believe the stator and RR have been going for quite awhile now as my voltage readings at the battery were not normal. I would get 13+V at idle and around 14.5 at 3K RPM. I knew that something was going and since the RR had had battery corrosion on it, I knew it was only a matter of time before it all caught up with me. I also had one leg of the stator leads come unplugged at the bullet connectors and didn't know it until I did a routine inspection. That probably contributed to the stator failure. I figured as long as the battery was charging, I'd live with it until it all failed. The overheating battery sense wire was the final straw and I can't ignore it any more.
Ursula has had a hard life. Even though she only has about 17800 miles on her, at least half have been hard miles. Her previous owners didn't take care of her, they left her out in the rain and weather, and she's been dumped at least twice, once on each side. If I'd known more about the 750 and street bikes in general when I bought her, I wouldn't have. I would have found another VN750 but one that had been better taken care of or brand new one. Money was an object at the time though so I don't feel too bad. Besides, she's taught me an awful lot about wrenching on a motorcycle. Once I get back from vacation, I'll have her up and running in no time.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Drive less, ride more...

To help you comparison shop, here is the K & L brand r/r for your bike, at J & P cycles:

http://www.jpcycles.com/ProductDetai...ource=06Metric

From what I've read elsewhere on this website, Rick's is the way to go with the stator.

I think the jury is still out on which r/r is really tougher and more reliable than its competitors.

Maybe someone else should start a thread on this topic.

Comparing "apples to apples" would be tough, though....as there are so many variables involved (who's relocated their r/r, etc).

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 04:05 PM
85 VN 700

For what it's worth (and this is a few years old data) the electrosport r/r at least USED to be better than the ricks style. This was, however, for the suzuki GS550 and part of it was that the ricks was "OEM style" and Electrosport had a better heatsink. Not sure if it applies to the VN750 though - or even if it still applies to the GS550.

I replaced both the stator and r/r on my GS550 with ricks and they both fried pretty quick (likely at least partially my fault due to still existing wiring problems with the 550)

Clear as mud?

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
Sponsored Links
Advertisement