motor will not rev up when in n./battery not charging - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Question motor will not rev up when in n./battery not charging

my 86 vn750 will not rev up in neutral, it idles fine but when i give it a little roll on it sputters and misses. put it in gear and all is well. I dont get it. some emissions parts have been removed by previous owner. Also the battery will not charge, when running all electrical functions seen to be powered properly, lights not dim ect. but the battery doesn't seem to be receiving any power. any ideas,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 11:29 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
whats the voltage at when you rev it... stock charging system doesn't start charging until about 2000 rpm... and doesn't put out full charge till 4500 rpm. With that being said, make sure the battery is fully charged to 12.5-13.0 volts, and all the grounds are tight. Also you might have fuel issues, but with out further information kind of hard to tell which way to go.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 11:45 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

X2 I suspect he's checking voltage at idol and and has a carb problem.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 09:46 AM

Key.

How does the key feel in the ignition, if it's sloppy and loose, it could be the contacts in the base of the switch.

Who walks into the Lions Den, and comes out alive?
The Lion!
12 inch apes
1986 A3 series 750
Slash cut stainless mufflers
170 rear tyre
Custom cyane blue paint, wheels included
Relocated regulator rectifier
Solo mod
Stainless washable oil filter
Six pack rack
LED indicators and flasher unit.
Replaced CDI
Coasters
Penrite 10/50
Oil pressure hot at 1000 rpm 20 psi, 4000 rpm 60 psi
Shows 67000 kms
Jets 38 idle Mains 120 changed to 40 idle 135 main.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

voltage unknown, i do not have a voltage meter,i will get one and check,as for the key it is a little loose and hard to turn sometimes. Thanks all
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 01:09 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzychrs View Post
voltage unknown, i do not have a voltage meter,i will get one and check,as for the key it is a little loose and hard to turn sometimes. Thanks all
Unknown voltage? How do you know its not charging?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

I know it is not charging because new battery at full charge will only start it a few times before dead, even after riding for hours. Charge it up and same thing, headligh is bright when bike is running even wuth dead battery
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 11:12 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
doesn't sound like a bad battery, sounds like poor grounds... or poor connection on the starter solenoid. I have also seen dirty ignition switches and starter buttons cause hard starts and no starts with out a super charged battery.

does your headlight come on when the keyis turned on? or when the engine truns over? also on starting does the engine backfire before roaring to life?

Last edited by slimvulcanrider; 02-24-2014 at 11:15 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 06:57 AM
Chasin' the blacktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
doesn't sound like a bad battery, sounds like poor grounds... or poor connection on the starter solenoid. I have also seen dirty ignition switches and starter buttons cause hard starts and no starts with out a super charged battery.

does your headlight come on when the keyis turned on? or when the engine truns over? also on starting does the engine backfire before roaring to life?
X2 on the poor ground but there is possibly a different problem.

If the bike starts back up easily after only sitting a few minutes but if the bike sits more than a few hours and then you discover that it will not start I would suspect a bad wire somewhere causing a short draining your battery. Either way it's would not be your battery. It's possible you've got a bad battery but at this point (starts well after charging) I'd consider other things. If in doubt rip that battery out and take it to AutoZone or some other car part place for testing.

Since your headlight works well your stator is good which is the good news in all of this.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

yes it does backfire sometimes when starting, and the head light does not come on with the initial turn off the key but after turning the motor over it does come on. the headlights shuts off when the starter is engaged. I will get that voltmeter and check and clean all of the grounds. thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement