stator test - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb stator test

So can the stator be tested with the bike running>? I have done this test on other bikes before. between 2 of the yellow wires should be getting AC voltage 20VAC varying up to 50vac or more.

Is that right? for the vulcan.

I noticed in my saga to find out why my bike has been dying on me only sometimes if it gets warm then it seems the battery doesnt have enough to turn the motor over.. UH OH I can see it coming. I had already replaced the r/r when I got the bike, and now it seems my stator might be bad..
(what a bad stator.. never)

From the yellow wires to ground i have just over 1k ohms. 1.045k ohms to be exact. my meter only has a 200ohm and 2k ohm setting.

With the r/r not connected and the yellow wires disconnected I am only seeing 6VAC with revving the motor up. YES 6 thats between 2 of any of the 3 wires.

I just hate the idea of removing the engine..radiator and exhaust. But There has to be an easier cheaper way. And cutting the frame seems ok but I don't have a donor frame.

Dang why cant we just come up with a mod to grind the cover and use TOC insert? Guess all the grindings would get in the case.
And at $450 bucks it seems TOC should have made their $$ back by now and could lower this to the low $100's.

I am just thinking out loud here lol But If TOC only sold the mounting plate I could cut away all the stuff in the side cover.

I emailed TOC just now about just getting the insert.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

link to TOC stator insert. http://www.tocmanufacturing.com/phot...y/IMGP1283.JPG

Why couldn't any average guy just grind out the center of the cover and just use the insert.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 03:38 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

The center isn't just ground out. It needs to have a good bit of precision in where the insert mounts and holds the stator inplace.
Not saying one couldn't do it themself, but it wouldn't be easy unless you have a mill at home to do it on.

IMO, the whole thing is a bit high priced, but then again, everything is anymore.
Have ya tried contacting them to see if they'd sell just the insert?

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

yeah they will sell just the insert but for $100 less than the $450..Prob not worth the risk now knowing it is the milled lip on the cover that the insert is locating in.. not just the 3 screws.

So does it sound like my stator is gone?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

this is the battery I got recently also. http://tinyurl.com/yzpq6k

so do i start pulling that stator or am I insane.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstbone67a View Post
Dang why cant we just come up with a mod to grind the cover and use TOC insert?
I was thinking the same thing, looking at toc web page pics, it looks like it would be easier to grind out that center plate and install a TOC type plate rather then pulling the engine or moding the frame. It really doesnt look like it would be hard to do. And it would be alot cheaper then buying toc's plate which seems to be nothing more then an alluminum plate to mount the stator to.
As far as there being a lip for the plate or stator machined in,I dont see where its really nessasary. The three bolts that would need to be tapped in to mount the new plate should be enough. Then again, I could be completely wrong here.

Steve from Pittsburgh
2005 vn750
modified knifemaker driver boards
chrome levers, Shaved saddle
Ape manual CCT's, nylon saddle bags
engine mount covers, plexIII windshield
crash bar w/floor boards, air hawk pad
ear mod, rad cover/,w/ss mesh
chrome cable and wire covers
chrome anti-freeze cover
RR relocation,MF battery,drilled out
idle plugs,marbled
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I agree.. seems like it wouldn't be that hard.. the only thing is.. all that grinding probably wouldnt be clean.. some of it would end up inside the motor. I am just thinking it would be easier if the 3 mounting holes were precise.. who cares about sitting on a lip. infact the insert.. why would it need to be a whole circle.. couldn't it be like a 3 prong star.. if it was sturdy enough. Maybe it would be an improvement of the insert. less weight. more cooling?

so dang is my stator gone?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Not sure if someone had this link already.. I had used this before on a suzuki.. (shhh)

http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfault.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement