Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Calif Rider

Smile Calif rider

Went for a ride yesterday and before I left it seemed I had a problem with the volts that were showing on the meter before I started on my ride. I just figured that maybe the battery was well charged and did not have to be charging at the usual about 14 volts. Well half way through the ride I noticed the volt meter reading was getting lower and lower. It really became apparent when I would come to a light and the volts were only at 11.3 . It has a little warning beep when it is this low. Well I did not want to shut it off, thinking it may not start again. Did make it home okey, and found that one of the fuses had blowen. I did a fuse job on the stater wires a few month ago. Glad that I did, for without volt meter I would not have known that I had a blowen fuse. The meter is quick and easy way to know that you have a problem. Replaced the fuse and everything seems to be okey, reading are back to normal, will have to watch the meter and check the RR for awhile to see if I still have a problem.

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 01:47 AM

I don't know for sure, but I think you may be the first one to have blown a fuse on the modified wiring for the stator.
I have not done it since I did not know that that mod would actually work or not. It was besed on theory that one of the wires should blow the fuse in the event of an electrical surge/spike.
Now that I know it will actually work and isn't just a theory I will add the in-line fuses to my stator wires!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Calif Rider

I am not sure what caused the spike, but I was getting on it last week before I noticed that I had a problem. When I was getting on it I missed a shift, this may have caused the spike. I had a old 2 cycle Bultaco long ago, and when I did that with that bike, and the lights were on I blow them all.
Doing a little checking after the problem was fixed the R+R sure gets hot in a short time of running the engine. I would like to know from others if they have felt their R+R after running stationary for about 2 minutes and if their's also becomes very hot. You would not be able to keep your hand on it for no more than 5 seconds. It was only about 80 degrees outside at the time. Just wondering if others are about the same. Thinking of installing a larger heet sink, or add one to the R+R.

2004 25,500 miles
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Fused Stator
Ride-on in tires
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 01:46 PM

Yes they do get hot. That's why no one understands why the idiots installed them under the battery box above the goats bladder where it was trapped by heat and very little if any air flow. That's like starting my air cooled Arctic Cat snowmobile and throwing a blanket over the motor--HELLO!!! IT NEEDS AIR FLOW-IT HAS COOLING FINS FOR A REASON! Even Arctic Cat knew better than to put them by the exhaust or near the motor.
I really do believe that most of our stator failures are because of that peice of garbage voltage regulator not the stator itself. The re-locate helps, but is only a temporary fix-not a solution. I wish someone would come up with a newer design for the regulator instead of that 1970's solid state crap!

Last edited by racohoon; 07-15-2007 at 01:50 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Calif Rider

Thanks for the info. Looking into beefing up the R+R, and maybe an addition of a addititioal heet sink on the R+R.

2004 25,500 miles
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Fused Stator
Ride-on in tires
iridium plugs