Dash lights won't light when key is turned on and bike won't start. Blinkers work. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Dash lights won't light when key is turned on and bike won't start. Blinkers work.

Tonight I went to start my bike (94' 750 Vulcan) and when i switched the key to the "On" position, the green neutral light and red oil light did not turn on like they always do.

When I turned the switch on and hit the start button nothing happens. No clicking, no nothing. The tail light, blinkers, and hazard lights all come on but the green neutral light will not come on despite the bike being in neutral. Please if you have any idea what could be causing this let me know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 07:18 AM
Giggity!

Garage
Have you tried turning your key all the way to the right, then back to the on position?
My ignition switch is faulty & this is what I have to do.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 09:30 AM
2014 KLR 650!

Have you taken apart the switch and cleaned the connections yet? I'm betting that is your problem.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

@kanuck69 I did play with the key back and forward from off to on to lock to on because mine also is touchy where sometimes you have to go past on and then back to it for the dash lights to come on. But this time nothing I do would get the power going. Like I said when though when key is in on position the blinkers and taillight do come on.

@goofyfoot2001 I have not tried taking anything apart yet. This happened last night at 10pm when I got out of work. My bike is in work parking lot so I am wondering how difficult it is to perform the removal, cleaning, and replacement of the switches. I've read some other threads on this issue but have not seen how to do the fix.

Thanks for your replies. Please any more info would be greatly appreciated.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Also I see the repair process in the verses for the ignition switch but am wondering if it would still be the ignition switch even though the key turns fine and taillights and blinkers come on fine. Just the neutral light and oil light will not come on at all and no noise when key is on and start button is pressed.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 12:07 PM
2014 KLR 650!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideflorida View Post
@kanuck69 I did play with the key back and forward from off to on to lock to on because mine also is touchy where sometimes you have to go past on and then back to it for the dash lights to come on. But this time nothing I do would get the power going. Like I said when though when key is in on position the blinkers and taillight do come on.

@goofyfoot2001 I have not tried taking anything apart yet. This happened last night at 10pm when I got out of work. My bike is in work parking lot so I am wondering how difficult it is to perform the removal, cleaning, and replacement of the switches. I've read some other threads on this issue but have not seen how to do the fix.

Thanks for your replies. Please any more info would be greatly appreciated.
Clean the switch contacts. Stretch the little springs in there ever so slighlty. All will be golden. My cap broke and had to superglue it back on and tie wrap it. I have had zero switch issues since cleaning the contacts.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I should have mentioned I am somewhat mechanically inept. I have only had this bike for a few weeks and haven't had the time to get acquainted with it just yet.

That said could someone walk me through the process of cleaning the contacts and also estimate how much a shop would charge to replace/ repair the potential problem.

Thanks so much everyone!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 09:46 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideflorida View Post
Thanks for the advice. I should have mentioned I am somewhat mechanically inept. I have only had this bike for a few weeks and haven't had the time to get acquainted with it just yet.

That said could someone walk me through the process of cleaning the contacts and also estimate how much a shop would charge to replace/ repair the potential problem.

Thanks so much everyone!
I see your positive attitude.... strap your balls on....do it yourself ! .......many threads instruct how to.....

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 09:49 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
just an FYI RideFlorida, The ignition switch is actually two separate components. The first being the part you see, that the key goes inside of, its made of metal, and has al the mechanics of a normal lock, on the bottom of the metal housing is a rectangle shaft about an 1/8" long that operates the electrical portion which we call the hocky puck. SO just because the key turns fine with out binding, and snaps into each position cleanly, the hockey puck can still be messed up (usually a combination of dirty contacts and worn springs). So go with Goofy's suggestion, the worst you are out is about half hour of time. Unfortunately it is faster to clean the switch than it is to trace down every wire to make sure electricity is flowing to where it is supposed to be.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamTech View Post
I see your positive attitude.... strap your balls on....do it yourself ! .......many threads instruct how to.....

Thanks for that..

The reason I'm thinking of having a mechanic fix the problem is not because I don't want to take the time to do it, its actually because the bike is in a public parking lot (where it refused to start) and not only do they not want people working on vehicles in their parking lot they want the motorcycle moved pronto. So that is my dilemma. It may only be a half hour job for most people but I am fairly certain it would take me at least twice as long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement