I had a very difficult time getting any kind of reading on my old r/r. I finally was able to get one of the connections to get a reading that was waaaay off, so I assumed that the r/r was the problem and I was right.
I didn't try testing the new r/r before I put it on the bike, so I can't say one way or the other on that. My suggestion would be to put her on and check the voltage across the battery with the bike off, with the bike at idle and then rev her up and see what you get then. If I remember right you should be in the 12.5 - 12.8 range with a fresh battery with the bike off. At idle you may see anywhere from 11.9ish to 12.3ish. As you rev the engine you'll see the voltage increase, mine went to 13.8 or somewhere in that range. You can check my numbers in the verses as I'm going from memory here, and it's not as good as it used to be.
If all of this looks to be good, take the bike for a spin and get her warmed up and check the voltage again across the battery. If it's still charging you probably fixed your problem.
I had a hard time diagnosing my problem due to being multimeter challenged, and I wasn't checking the voltage with the bike warm. My voltage readings were goos with a cold bike, but as it warmed up it stopped charging. It took me a few weeks to feel comfortable enough that I didn't check the voltage after every ride. It's been close to 3 months now with no problems.
Another good idea is to do the r/r relocation while you're messing with it if you haven't alread done it.
I smile 'cause I don't know what the h*ll is going on.