Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Question Soldering the Stator Wires

Hi, Folks -
The '01 is almost back together - mostly been a jigsaw puzzle with hopefully not too many pieces left over. That said, I'm staring at my stator wires and thinking, "Now what?" The old wires from the harness had burned through, so I clipped them and now have the nice, new wires coming out of the engine, and three blank wires waiting for next steps. Here are my questions, and I apologize in advance for sounding like an idiot:
1. I'm replacing the wiring harness on Orleans with a newer one. Assuming the stator wires on that harness are ok, can I clip them for use on the '01?
2. If the answer to "1" is yes, what do I need to solder the wires? We have a soldering gun in the house, but that's the extent of my knowledge. Couldn't even tell ya where it is. SO: what kind of solder? how much? something about shrink tubing? And does anyone have pics?
3. If the answer to "1" is "Are you nuts?!?", then what the heck do I do? I obviously need to solder (see 2, above) some male ends on the wires coming out of the harness, but: What size wire am I looking at? Are these bullet connectors (vs. the clips)? Is there a specific type that I should use, or size?

Fortunately I have to travel on business for the next two days, so I won't be able to ruin anything on the bike until Saturday. But I am stopping by the MVA on my way to the airport today to pick up my temp tags, so the 30-day count-down will begin!! Can anyone walk me through this new territory? Thanks in advance!!

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 06:36 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

If it were me, I'd just grab whatever solder I could find, get the old gun out, put the shrink tube over the wire (but move it away from the heat for now) heat up the wire, melt the solder, slide the shrink tube over the connection, heat it up and be done.
But there are proper ways of doing it.
HERE is a Wikipedia article on soldering. I didn't read the entire thing, but it seems to be pretty complete.

Here's the few things I do know about it....
The thing ya want to do is heat the wires first, then have the solder melt into them. For this step, the wires can be twisted together and then soldered. But don't rely on twisted wires and electric tape. It's a lousy connection.
If the solder doesn't melt almost as soon as you touch it to the wires (while holding the iron to it) you're not quite hot enough.

Put a wet rag underneath your work to catch any dripping solder without burning anything.

Maybe someone else can better describe the process.
Check out the Wiki article and if ya still got questions/concerns, give a shout.

And HERE is another soldering article.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Hyper, those are some great tips. There are different kinds of solder, though, right? Like copper? Lead? Al? Sheesh, a jigsaw puzzle I can do...electrical stuff, I'm right back where I was.

C

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 07:16 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

The easiest way to get the right solder would probably be to go to Radio Shack.
I don't think they'd be much more expensive than anywhere else for that and they should be able to tell ya just what you'd need. (or ya could take their info and try a hardware store)
You'll also need flux. It's an acid paste that you put on the wires before soldering. As you heat the wire, it cleans and preps it for the solder.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

See what I mean? I didn't even know that there was such a thing as flux (well, not in the empirical sense). I'm gonna read the articles you referenced before I do anything. That should save me a few mistakes right there.

Thanks, again!

C
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 07:57 AM

I think rosin core is used for wiring (acid core should not be used) and then you may not need soldering paste.

Deuce (Loran Naperville IL)
1995 VN750 (Black w/ 2004 tins - no teal)
2003 VN750
Both have: - F&S Bags & brackets
- Corbin seat w backrest
- Progressive suspension.
- Kury iso goldwing grips
2 1983 V65 Magnas
2 1985 V65 Mangas (1 which is in many parts)
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

So, some kind of flux (check to see if rosin or acid core), any kind of solder, a good, hot soldering gun, and a stroke of luck?

C
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 10:58 AM
85 VN 700

If you get rosin core it eliminates the need for flux if I recall correctly.

For the heat shrink I've always used a lighter (zippo style is best - that way if it gets hot your finger aint right there) with the flame lightly "brushing" the tubing.

I need to get around to fusing my stator soon... wanna avoid a stator pull if possible.

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loran in Npvl IL View Post
I think rosin core is used for wiring (acid core should not be used) and then you may not need soldering paste.
This is correct. Get rosin core solder from Radio Shack or Wally Mart or local hardware store. It eliminates the need for flux. If you don't do a lot of soldering a 50 foot spool will last you years. ONLY USE ROSIN CORE FOR ELECTRICAL WORK!!

2001 VN750
Vista Cruise Control
V-Force shield
Kawasaki Saddlebag supports
Fixed trunk hinge
TOC MCCT
Clear Alternatives LED tail light
Knifemaker style floorboards
Knifemaker style dash
Avon Venom X 110/90 Front
Avon Venom X 170/80 Rear
Big Crank AGM battery
25,100 miles as of 04/20/2010
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 12:50 PM
Why aren't we riding?

Hyper is right about going to radio shack. Or you can go to Lowes, Home Depot. Go to the electrical dept not the plumbing dept. A rosin core solder is what you want. Tin/Lead composition, but if it's in the elctrical department it should be the right stuff. Generally it's thin about spaghetti thin. If it's shoelace size thats plumbing/hardware solder. Pick up a multi pack of shrink tubing. If they have it you might want to invest in a weller portasol, butane soldering iron. It also has a hot knife, mini torch, and minihot gun attachment (good for shrinking tubing). No need for electricity and very portable.

Flux is a good idea but not totally necessary with rosin core solder. It will help clean and get the solder to bond with the wires quicker though.

Worst case give me a shout. Did I give you my cell number? I'll PM it. I could come up and do it.

"Angel"
1990 VN750
Loads of extras
On the road.

"Priscilla" aka "The other woman"
1985 VN700
(Purchased from DMAG)
Rebuilding for the road.

Buy it to ride it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement