very strange headlamp issue - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

very strange headlamp issue

I'm experiencing a very strange problem with my headlamp and I'm hoping you'll give me some troubleshooting tips.

The headlamp doesn't work, either low or high beam, neither does the headlamp-trouble indicator nor the high-beam indicator (when I switch to highbeam). Everything else is working great, including the horn.

The lamp is Okay, though. I.e. its not buned out. The fuse is also okay; I did a continuity check.

The headlamp connector is NOT receiving power.

I'm trying to follow the colour schematic diagram so that I can perform more checks but am finding it confusing. What is the "Reserve Lighting Unit", what does it do and where is it located ?

I'm inclined to take the HIGH LOW switch and the Junction Box apart and just do continuity checks but before I do that I'd like to figure things out from the schematic.

Any thoughts, tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Luis

P.S. one more thing: while checking the fuses I noticed the inside label on the fusebox cover has the location of the Tail Light and Head Lamp fuses reversed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 02:42 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

The reserve lighting unit is what automatically switches to the hi-beam if low beam burns out (or vice versa)
Not exactly sure how it can be tested.

Don't want to alarm you, but only my headlight didn't work when my stator went out. Ya might want to check the ohms between each yellow stator wire to the others.
Like this....
Use a digital volt meter set to ohms. you should get between .4 to .6 ohms.
check wire 1 to 2, wire 1 to 3 and wire 2 to 3.
Mine was reading .5 between two of them, but .3 on the other.

Give this a try and let us know what ya get.
By the way, what year is your bike and mileage?

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

bike model/year

Its 1993 with 15 000 Km (9 321 miles). Bought it used about 1 year ago, been riding most of the time. Winter didn't stop me...

got more questions but I'm out the door. Will test the stator.

Thanks.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Growling at the World...

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog485
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktullu View Post
The headlamp doesn't work, either low or high beam, neither does the headlamp-trouble indicator nor the high-beam indicator (when I switch to highbeam). Everything else is working great, including the horn..
One thing, and please don't take this the wrong way...

Is the bike running when you have tried this? Kawasaki's headlamps won't turn on until the bike has been started. Many a confused moment this has caused me when I temporally forget this fact.

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
http://www.bulldogsbike.com
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 26,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 ~ Black Betty ~ 34,999.7 miles
VROC ~v~ 485
McHenry County Road Pirates
Chicagoland, IL
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 04:57 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog485 View Post
Is the bike running when you have tried this? Kawasaki's headlamps won't turn on until the bike has been started.
Oh, I didn't think about that possibility.

Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

bike running but no headlight

Yeah, the headlight won't come on with the bike running.

Its late right now; got back from father's day festivities so no time to test stuff but I have a few questions:

Looking at the schematics in the Clymer manual it seems to me that it could also be a faulty headlight relay in the junction box ? Could it also be a faulty HI LOW switch ?

I dunno, just thinking out loud here...haven't quite figured out the schematics. In any event I plan on going through the tests in the Clymer manual which includes the R/R and Stator. I've long suspected a faulty charging system but been too lazy.

The Vulcan Verses say pretty much what you said, Hyperbuzzin, about the stator, but whats throwing me off is the no power at the headlight connector. Anyways, I'll know for sure come tomorrow.

Thanks guys.

P.S. Hope you all had a good weekend. Weather was dynamite here in Toronto too bad I had no bike

Last edited by ktullu; 06-17-2007 at 11:57 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 01:31 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktullu View Post
The Vulcan Verses say pretty much what you said, Hyperbuzzin, about the stator, but whats throwing me off is the no power at the headlight connector. Anyways, I'll know for sure come tomorrow.
That got me at first too. I had the headlight apart and tested the headlight itself, tested all the wires, tested the fuse, then heard through here to check the stator.
Sure enough, I had bad numbers there.
From the way it was explained to me, that's pretty much how the headlight stays off until the bike's started. The stator has to produce the power to fire it up, but once it's lit, it'll still stay lit, even if ya push the kill switch (with the key still on)

Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

bad headlight relay was the problem

Guess what ? Sure enough, its something wrong with the headlight relay inside the junction box. I was fiddling with it, checking continuity of wires, when all of a sudden I felt a small mechanical jolt and the headlight goes on.

since the headlamp-malfunction light wasn't lighting up as well (see first post) I wanted to test that. Basically I wanted to recreate the problem and try the solution again too. I disconnected the headlight. I get the bike running. I didn't feel the relay fire so no power was flowing to the headlight socket and the headlight-malfunction light also didn't kick in. Then I fiddled around some more with the junction box, pin 6 & 7, and I felt the relay kick. Sure enough the headlamp-malfunction indicator light lit up, as expected, since the headlight was disconnected. I connected the headlight and I got light! Then the headlight-malfunction indicator went out, as expected, since everything was good.

It seems to me the relay is somehow getting stuck. I created a bypass to circumvent the relay as a temporary fix until I get a new junction box. The junction box doesn't seem to be serviceable, the backplate looks riveted, or I'd open it up and try to fix the relay. The bypass involves pin 6 & 7 or there abouts. If you follow the Clymer schematics it actually shows the inside circuitry of the junction box.

Luis
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 04:49 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Nice to hear it isn't a stator problem!

Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Another guy had the same problem: solution same.

I haven't checked the stator yet. I DO have a charging system problem, though.

While doing a search for "stator" on this site I came upon Dennis Larson's message regarding his headlight going out intermittently. I hope linking to his message, and the solution offered by baker9713 (Mike Baker), works:

:https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...ghlight=stator

I wish I had seen that thread before.

What makes me think I have a charging issue ? The typical symptoms plus these results after performing a test on the battery terminals:

Battery fully charged and installed, ignition off: 12.95 VDC

Engine idling at 1100rpm: 12.29VDC

Engine revved to 5000rpm: 12.45VDC

I haven't tested the R/R nor the stator yet. I tried to test the stator but haven't been able to pull apart the bullet connectors on the three yellow stator wires. I'm just gonna try inserting my multimeter probes under the plastic sleeves.

I wanna take this opportunity to thank everyone for sharing their information. I'm learning lots and saving $$$.

-Luis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement